U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 11:39 PM

4,003 posts, read 1,781,697 times

Advertisements

Dad went to the cemetery last week to see Mom; he goes about twice a week.

As he sat reflecting, he said he remembered how funny she was in that she absolutely could not ... lie. If you asked my mom’s opinion about something? You had to brace yourself, as you may not be happy with the answer!

He said to himself; “You know, Maria; you were pretty hard on me sometimes. I appreciated your honesty but Geez; sometimes I used to wish you could just tell a little white lie, every once in a while!”

He gets back to the car to drive home & turns on his radio to his (very) Oldies station. And as he passes through the cemetery gates; on comes Ella Fitzgerald in “Little White Lies”!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 05:57 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,377,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

As he sat reflecting, he said he remembered how funny she was in that she absolutely could not ... lie. If you asked my mom’s opinion about something? You had to brace yourself, as you may not be happy with the answer!

He said to himself; “You know, Maria; you were pretty hard on me sometimes. I appreciated your honesty but Geez; sometimes I used to wish you could just tell a little white lie, every once in a while!”

He gets back to the car to drive home & turns on his radio to his (very) Oldies station. And as he passes through the cemetery gates; on comes Ella Fitzgerald in “Little White Lies”!
awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! Gave me goosebumps

Old 10-30-2017, 06:22 PM

1,428 posts, read 2,254,827 times
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! Gave me goosebumps

ME too. I am sure this was a sign.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:36 PM

1,213 posts, read 4,241,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
My observation is that loved ones CAN come to you in dreams, but you can also dream of them in an ordinary way that is not a visitation. I have had many dreams where my husband is just part of my life, as he would have been before he died. Although I enjoy seeing him in those dreams, they do not feel particularly significant or meaningful, and I don't believe those are any kind of visitation.

I have, however, had some - I think three - where I believe it was actually a visitation. In those dreams he is in shadow or somehow not completely visible, but he speaks to me and in two of them, I could feel his embrace. One of them was a couple of months after he died. I won't go through the whole dream, but it was an anxiety dream where at the end I was trying to call him on my cell phone, but it turned into a deck of cards and just fell apart. He was suddenly across the room, standing in shadow and saying "You will be OK. You can do it. I know you can do this....." and other encouragements about my current problems. That was a visitation. Years ago I also had one of those physically felt embraces from my Grandfather, a few months after he died.

I don't think there are any rules about how a dream visitation happens, but there are some common threads. If the person is older when they died, they will appear to be much more at the prime of life. However, often they are hidden or shaded. They speak to you as if you are awake. By that, I mean they don't talk about the contents of the dream, but speak directly of their feelings or yours, or, as in my case, give reassurance. My experience is that they don't participate in a "plot" in the dream, but simply are present to you and speaking to you. They don't always speak, however. I had one visitation that was just a picture with feelings, touching, etc. None of the things I have said here are the result of research, and are just what I have experienced and what a few others have told me.
Thank you.. and yes that is what I found peculiar... on reflection I noticed that I didn't actually see him. I heard him, and felt him.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:51 PM

8,219 posts, read 8,507,022 times
It's pretty natural to dream of dead loved ones. I still do, years later.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:21 AM

168 posts, read 78,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
A number of us have experienced oddities after a death that are not easily explained by logic or science. There are various "explanations" for these events, but those are irrelevant for the purposes of this thread.

Very simply, did you have any experience after the death of a loved one that made you think/wonder if they were attempting to communicate, guide, or bring comfort?

This is NOT a place to attempt to explain. This is NOT a place to attempt to place the event in a context. This is NOT the place to denigrate or say "That is impossible." If you want to do any of those things - start a new thread, or link to a thread in a different forum if it is inappropriate here.

After my wife died, one of the first things that happened for me was finding a poem of hers that was in an obscure place, affirming our love. The chances of my coming across it were on the order of 1 in 1,000. If something happened for you, and you wish to share, what was it?
Yes, I do. I think it happens to those that are open to the contact. Often times we do read into coincidences, but I have experienced things that are unexplainable. It does bring me great comfort.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:04 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,484,252 times
In a matter of 6 years my grandmother, godmother and father all passed away. I was never very close with my grandmother but my godmother was like a second mother to me and I was always a daddys girl.

In my dining room I had a bakers type shelf, on the top shelf I had an array of family photos and momentos, the lower shelves were used as the drinks cabinet with glasses and barware etc.

The children were all at school, the dog was in the garden and I had finished my housework for the day, the dining room had a door with glass insert from the kitchen and was open when I last looked. I made a coffee and went to sit on the patio which was through the dining room when I noticed the door had closed, i opened it and was amazed to see a bottle of brandy sitting on the table so of course not thinking any more I put it back on the bakers rack.
I sat outside for a bit and when I came in the same bottle was back on the table ... hmmmm very strange.

When mum next visited I mentioned to her about the brandy bottle and she told me I should move the photo of my godmother away from the one of dad, "those 2 always did like to party"
After that godmothers photo was placed in the living room and the bottle of brandy never did move itself again.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:09 AM

25,462 posts, read 23,290,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HearYouMe View Post
We lost our Daughter in June of 2014. We were by her bedside when her time came and told her how much we loved her, thanked her for fighting so hard to stay with us but it was ok for her to go. Immediately after telling her it was ok, her respiration dropped and she left us just a few minutes later. After she passed I could feel her all around me, it was something I've never felt before and hard to explain. I believe she has sent us numerous signs.

About 3 weeks later, we were visiting her when we saw a box turtle walking from the South to the North. When it was about 25 yards away, one of my daughters said "Maybe that's Stacy coming to see Us". Soon after that the turtle turned 45 degrees and started walking towards Us. There were 4 of us and we were sitting on the ground 10-15 feet apart. The turtle proceeded to stop by each of us as to say "HI" . It stayed by my wife until we got up to leave about 15 minutes later. I've never seen a turtle act this way. I truly believe Stacy was sending us a message.

As I mentioned, I could feel my daughters presence all around me until the day I met the Dog. It was early one morning in the Fall and I was visiting her grave by myself. I like to go by and check on it because the groundskeepers aren't very good. As I was leaving a Dog appeared out of no where and wouldn't get out of the way of my car. I drove maybe 50 yards with it staying in front of the car and barking. Finally had enough and got out to scare him off. It immediately came to me and rubbed up against my leg, I pet him for 5 or 10 minutes and he just took off down the road. After the Dog, I could no longer feel her around me, I believe it was her telling me she was moving on.
gave me chills.....

sending hugs and prayers.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:24 AM

16,724 posts, read 13,685,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
gave me chills.....

sending hugs and prayers.
Me too! Wow!

Old 11-13-2017, 08:30 AM

121 posts, read 47,954 times
My Nana passed away February 1, 2015, while I was a junior at the University of Maryland. Being from Massachusetts I could not visit her while at college but I would call her every week at minimum. My dad sent me a text that day like "call me please," and knowing her frailty I expected the worst, as it turned out it was some minor question. But it got her on my mind and so I called her...she told me the bones in her chest were hurting and I knew it was a heart attack but decided not to make a fuss as at that point she could not be convinced to seek help. Sure enough on the way to my friend's apartment to watch the Super Bowl my dad called me to say she had passed away.

But to my point...

The night of her death as I was sitting in bed on my computer trying to take my mind off everything I suddenly felt this embrace around my neck, as if it came from behind, something Nana used to do all the time, especially when I was younger.

On the day of her funeral, before they closed the casket, I knelt and said the Hail Mary; I could literally hear her praying along with me.

On occasion she comes to me in my dreams, and they always come as I am about to undergo some major change or event in my life. The night before I started my senior year I dreamed I was talking to her on the phone, she told me to study hard, good luck and to keep my apartment clean and that she would be watching. The night before I got into a major accident which should have rendered me severely injured or dead, I dreamed of sitting with her on the sofa. Earlier this year I had a bad experience student teaching and the night before my practicum was terminated I dreamed of spending a day out with her. I absolutely believe she does this to say "something big is about to occur in your life, I am here with you and no matter what you will be ok." Indeed, my senior year was my best year of college both academically and socially, an accident caused by a drunk driver that left my car flipped and totaled I escaped with only a scratch on the arm, and I have been given a second chance to student teach.

Probably once every couple weeks or so, I feel what seems to be a hand resting on my forehead and immediately have this peaceful feeling; I know it is her.

I'm not super religious but I know for certain life does not end with our physical death, it merely changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning