U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 07:43 AM

25,455 posts, read 23,273,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
A few days after my dad passed away last year, he apparently showed up for my wife (who was far away from the rest of us) and talked to her late at night. He reminded her of some things they talked about before, and that everything was good and peaceful. We've also noticed things around the house - moved or changed - that makes us wonder if he's trying to let us know that he's around.
I've heard, and don't know if this is true, but some souls stay a while longer than they are supposed to b/c there is something undone, or a loved one is missing them so much that they can't go (towards the light, so to speak)? But surely don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bye-ah B. Wear View Post
So last night the hubby and I fell asleep down stairs, him on the living room couch and myself on the chaise in the sunroom, anyway we have a 6 month old puppy who we've bell trained. The hubby heard the bells ringing around 4am, got off the couch expecting to find our puppy waiting by the side door and he wasn't there. He looked around and under the tables and no puppy to be found. He came in the sunroom to find myself and the furbaby passed out.

I lost my Mom last March and our sweet Schnauzer mix of 14 years in August. Its my birthday today, so maybe one of them was sending me a bday wish...its a comforting thought regardless if true or not.
I had a dobie who died, we really took it hard...so, the very next evening, we heard him at the back door, b/c all his tags were on his collar, his name and our address and they jingled...and we heard him at the back door, but when we went to look, he of course wasn't there, but my husband heard it as well.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:11 AM

6,959 posts, read 12,375,199 times
My wife has told me many times about her grandmother being seen in their house several times after she passed away. Wife says she has seen her mainly when she has something bothering her. One day husband #2 told her he woke up during the night and there was an old woman standing at the foot of the bed. My wife described her grandmother and he said that fit her to a tee. One of his drinking buddies passed out on their couch one night and told them the refrigerator door opened several times, stayed open for about a minute then shut. She told him that was her grandmother who had passed away, keeping an eye out for her. That drinking buddy ran out the front door and never returned. Wife says Grandma appears to people who are, in one way or another, hurting her. She and her kids say that's proof that I'm taking care of her. I've never seen Grandma!

Old 02-09-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
My wife has told me many times about her grandmother being seen in their house several times after she passed away. Wife says she has seen her mainly when she has something bothering her. One day husband #2 told her he woke up during the night and there was an old woman standing at the foot of the bed. My wife described her grandmother and he said that fit her to a tee. One of his drinking buddies passed out on their couch one night and told them the refrigerator door opened several times, stayed open for about a minute then shut. She told him that was her grandmother who had passed away, keeping an eye out for her. That drinking buddy ran out the front door and never returned. Wife says Grandma appears to people who are, in one way or another, hurting her. She and her kids say that's proof that I'm taking care of her. I've never seen Grandma!
yanno, there are so so so many dimensions aside of ours, and so many things we don't know, and just so many things our brains are capable of knowing, so I believe...there have been way too many things that have happened to me, plus reading stories from others, way to many for it not to be true.
also, my Girlfriend bought a huge Georgian home, and the home at one time had a dirt floor kitchen. She told me about some minor things that happened, but she kept saying, "I don't believe in ghosts". but, and here's the kicker....and old man stopped by and knocked on her day, introduced himself, and said, he was a previous owner, and asked if he could come in. She said, he looked like he was 100 years old.

While they were visiting over coffee, he asked her if she had seen the boy in the window, and did she know the house was a documented haunted home? So.....

Old 03-17-2018, 05:58 PM

53 posts, read 36,237 times
I grew up in my Grandfathers house in PA. My second job after graduation took me over to South Jersey where I got my first apartment. Gramps passed in 1991 at the age of 85. I was 26 at the time and several unusual things happened in the months following his death.

One morning I awoke to a loud clatter coming from my living room. It was very freaky because I lived alone in that apartment. I got out of bed, slowly opened the bedroom door only to find a bird frantically flying around and crashing into things. Strange how a bird even got in with no open doors or windows.

Anyway, later that morning, I called my brother and told him the story. He was still living in our PA house. He replied "Holy crap, we had a bird in here this morning'. (Which had never happened before in my whole life growing up in that house).

This, following the other strange happenings and I know, Gramp sent those birds.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:18 PM

1,428 posts, read 2,253,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBucksCo View Post
I grew up in my Grandfathers house in PA. My second job after graduation took me over to South Jersey where I got my first apartment. Gramps passed in 1991 at the age of 85. I was 26 at the time and several unusual things happened in the months following his death.

One morning I awoke to a loud clatter coming from my living room. It was very freaky because I lived alone in that apartment. I got out of bed, slowly opened the bedroom door only to find a bird frantically flying around and crashing into things. Strange how a bird even got in with no open doors or windows.

Anyway, later that morning, I called my brother and told him the story. He was still living in our PA house. He replied "Holy crap, we had a bird in here this morning'. (Which had never happened before in my whole life growing up in that house).

This, following the other strange happenings and I know, Gramp sent those birds.
OHHHH LOVE this. Hope you managed to set the birds free. Had to have been Gramps for this to happen to both of you same day and all. Thanks for sharing this.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:12 PM

20,071 posts, read 13,747,950 times
Yep. Knew of situation where woman dropped dead, and suddenly female relative present at that time felt a prompt (voice of deceased in head) to "go get" a member of the family ; even though that member had been estranged from and forgotten by the entire family.

The relative was a person of science: not religious, not sentimental, and not close to family member prompted to find.

Last edited by picklejuice; 03-17-2018 at 07:47 PM..

Old 03-17-2018, 07:46 PM

1,428 posts, read 2,253,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Yep. Knew of situation where woman dropped dead, and suddenly female relative present at that time felt a prompt (voice of deceased in head) to "go get" a member of the family ; even though that member had been estranged from and forgotten by the entire family.

The relative was a person of science: not religious, not sentimental, and not close to family member prompted to find.

The person she was prompted to go get/find considered the deceased a mother and hero. The estrangement happened in part because certain family members could not and would not accept the race of a child she and her husband adopted. And even after being found, after funeral family still treated the woman, her husband, and child the same way and estrangement continued.

Some people just never learn or get it.
How very sad for all involved there.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:12 PM

20,071 posts, read 13,747,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
How very sad for all involved there.
Yeah, tragic.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:08 PM

3,022 posts, read 1,987,571 times
Old thread resurrected, but I need to input.
When I was a kid, I used to spend weekends with my (maternal) grandmother. She spoiled me no end and we were very close. She'd pick me up on Saturday afternoon, I'd spend the night at her house and return home Sunday evening.
Grandma passed some years ago (cancer). I took it very hard; a few months prior she was in the hospital. It was a few years after she died that I discovered her cancer was terminal. Anyway, years/decades have passed since her leaving, yet every Saturday, to this day, I still think about her. Just a few years ago, right here in my home, on a Saturday - late afternoon/early evening, I was having issues with my tear ducts (yes, I was crying. I was missing my grandma) I swear, and I was very awake and alert, standing just outside my bathroom, I heard her, clear as the horizon. I didn't see her, but I heard her - and she was speaking directly to me, "I've lived my life," she told me, "You have a good long life ahead. Do the things that make you happy...enjoy what you enjoy...don't mourn me or cry for me. I'm in a good place and I'm feeling much better now. It's time for you to live your life. I love you, and I'm fine." I immediately stopped crying and knew that she was there, consoling me.

In the decades since her passing, I know that I've become my own person and trying to enjoy life like never before. Thanks, Grandma, for visiting me and lifting my spirits. I love you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning