U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 09:45 PM

2,265 posts, read 924,043 times

Advertisements

My paternal grandmother passed away when I was 17, so this was years ago...back around 1987.

After the wake, I volunteered to stay at her house and stay with her daughter (my aunt) who was very distraught and drinking heavily while the rest of the family went out to get some food to bring back. Of course my parents hadn't noticed that my aunt was drinking otherwise they wouldn't have let me stay there with her.

My aunt started crying and I asked her what was wrong. She started to talk about a photo album that my grandmother had but she had not been able to find. My grandmother's dog suddenly stands up, starts wagging her tail and barking then runs over to the tall hutch. It was odd because my aunt and I were the only people in the house and were both on the sofa. Without warning, a book fell from the top of the hutch and nearly made my aunt faint. I went over to the book and wouldn't you know, it was the long-lost album.

About 2 years to the day after she passed away, I was driving to work and suddenly smelled her perfume. She wore Emeraude religiously and I was very surprised to smell it so strongly...then realized what day it was.

Very strange experiences.

Prior to these I had been a hardcore atheist who didn't believe in any kind of soul/spirit.

I'm still not religious but there's definitely something that lives on after the physical body ceases to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 09:57 AM

1,428 posts, read 2,252,516 times
I do not know how I forgot this one .Hubby and I were talking and I was looking over at him expecting him to say more. I was sitting in my chair beside him.His eyes suddenly got really wide and he seemed to look around I asked him what he was seeing not realizing this was the end. It took me a few seconds. then I jumped up to go to him . As he was passing I was then standing beside his recliner in the living room patting his chest and calling to him. In my heart I knew he was gone just that fast but he still took two of those gasp like breaths. I could not stop calling to him. Then I had what I would say was an out of body experience I felt Joe standing close behind me with his arms kind of around me but not tight. Then both of us were standing there watching me call to him and pat him on the cheek chest shoulder. No I was not patting hard but I just could not give up. Anyway feeling this happening I stood there with him not wanting that to end and when it did I closed Joe's eyes and called hospice to let them know Joe had passed. He did not say anything to me when he was behind me. It just felt like he was giving me his last hug to let me know he was gone.I felt no fear when this was happening even though my heart was going 90 miles an hour. I think at that point I kicked back into remote control to just get things done that needed to be taken care of.

I do dream he is here fairly often so it is like nights I spend with him and everything is as it used to be and during the days reality sets in. But as a widow I am doing fine. Heartbroken but my life goes on as he would have wanted it to. No nonsense Joe. LOL

Old 07-02-2017, 11:27 AM

12,925 posts, read 24,048,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
The day of my mom's funeral, I was in the kitchen. Her favorite cup she dranked from all the time fell out of the cabinet, almost hitting me in the head. I remember the cabinet wasn't opened at all.
My son who was six at the time, I caught him staring into the den close to the doorway of my parent's bedroom, just smiling and laughing. There was nothing there. My mom spent her last days in her bedroom as she was terminally ill. I think she made herself visible to my son and he was smiling at her.
Also, shortly after she died, this black kitten appeared. Never seen it before but for some reason it would come and sit on our doorstep. My dad thought it was my mom so he started caring for it, giving it milk and whatnots.
I remember my mom saying she saw her dad's hand touching hers shortly after he died.
I had a dream after my dad died. He died after my mom did. In the dream, he was with my mom. My mom didn't say anything, he did most of the talking. I don't remember everything he said in the dream, he was talking about the house and other stuff. Just chit chat, really. But I do remember him saying I found your mom and we're ok.
The only sign I've had in the 4 months since my husband passed. Right after his death my almost 3 year old grandson will suddenly look up and say Hi Grandpa!

Old 07-02-2017, 02:30 PM

It seems a common happening for the youngsters to have vision . Maybe because their minds are not crowded with disbelief.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:16 PM

5,860 posts, read 7,082,141 times
Perhaps not a vision, but definitely a bit unusual...my 10 year old nephew died very, very unexpectedly. He was a special needs child, but there were no indications of the physical problem that caused his death. Literally starting 5th grade one day and gone the next evening. The day after he passed several of my siblings, nieces and nephews were gathered at my parent's house looking through photos and selecting our favorites of him. My parents have a small tree that is visible from the living room window. That afternoon 100's and 100's of dragonflies swarmed the tree--flying up and down in an almost whirlpool like fashion. My parents had never seen it before or since. Throughout the next month dragonflies continued to swarm the tree. I'd walk out in my own yard and see dozens of dragonflies. Each of my siblings and his parents experienced the same thing.

At the time he died I was going through an extremely difficult situation. A couple weeks after he died I woke up in the middle of the night. He told me in a dream that he was "taking care" of my problem because he loved me. Within a month or so the problem began to resolve.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:50 PM

13,103 posts, read 17,634,355 times
I still smell my bens cigarettes he was only 19 when he died but I still smell cigarettes from time to time and no one here smokes at all . Then I smell the perfume I wore at that time in my life . I'm pretty sure it was on his shirt the day he died because he left my house and I was standing in the yard and I had brushed up against him while wearing Chantilly . I never wore that again after he passed away . and then my keys will go to disappearing and I will say out loud Okay ben give them back because we used to hide each others keys when we would get ready to leave each others houses . Good times but yeah I do think he is coming back to me in different ways over the years . I tend to want to remember him with smiles not with tears .

Old 07-03-2017, 02:44 PM

2,297 posts, read 1,675,948 times
My wife passed away 8 years ago. For several months after her death, our bed would shake/vibrate for a few minutes after I would go to bed. As much as I searched, (I'm an engineer)I could find no explanation. Less than a year after her death I went on a trip and once again the bed would shake every night. That was the last time. As suddenly as it began, it stopped....never to return.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:37 PM

I remember another one I think both tied together. The day I finally got the death benefit from my husband sorted out and decision made what to do with it and all paperwork done. I am driving home, 35 miles. I was feeling pretty good with my decisions and that I finally had put an end to this nightmare to claim this money. I look up and there is a perfect heart shaped cloud and I said to Joe thanks for sending that to me I needed it more than ever today. A few more miles down the road there was another. Then a few more miles down the road there was a huge white cloud with a clear heart in the center of it missing. I wish I had known how to work my cell phone camera then. I would have pulled over to photo them. I think once he knew I recognized it was him doing the clouds he was funning with me. there were no other clouds in the sky the rest of the way home.

Then I finally get home exhausted and sitting in my chair waiting for computer to boot the chimes hanging on the chandelier suddenly just crashed clang clang clang. I looked up instantly and nothing was anywhere near them to make this happen. Three kitties were all sleeping around in their usual places and the 4th was out in the pen. I had always asked Joe to ring the chimes to let me know he was hear with me.

I think I might be getting more ADC because we talked so much about it before he died.I also begged him to come back to me any way he could because I am such a loaner and really only had him in my life. I hope he continues to come visit me.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:30 AM

3,962 posts, read 5,247,246 times
When my husband was dying, I asked him to come back to tell me he was OK. He said he would if he could. I had experienced this with my father years earlier, so I knew it was possible. So about a month and a half after his death, I had a true vision of my husband in heaven, with one-to-one communication, though not verbal. I won't describe the whole thing, but it was a terrific help to me to know he was in God's love and care.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
When my husband was dying, I asked him to come back to tell me he was OK. He said he would if he could. I had experienced this with my father years earlier, so I knew it was possible. So about a month and a half after his death, I had a true vision of my husband in heaven, with one-to-one communication, though not verbal. I won't describe the whole thing, but it was a terrific help to me to know he was in God's love and care.
It is so wonderful to hear these stories. I am not sure Joe has ever told me he is ok wherever he is now. I sure hope so I just keep getting signs. Then I am not sure he would say if things were good or bad. He was so stoic during all his cancer treatments. Never complained even though I know it had to be hard on him. After all i was cleaning up the messes. Such a brutal disease. Thanks for sharing this G Grassopper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning