U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
Old 07-09-2017, 05:14 PM
Location: Cochise county, AZ
4,548 posts, read 3,014,838 times
Reputation: 9437


I had two visits from my best friend. The first was when I was helping his family clean out the house & I just felt that he wanted me to check the nightstand I'd given him. There was nothing in the drawers so I took them out & he'd taped his money to the bottom of one. That sure helped the family with funeral expenses.

Then I was drawn to another area of the bedroom where there was a hidden cubbyhole which everyone had missed. I almost didn't investigate it but then did stick my hand in & lo & behold, there were the family photo albums everyone had been looking for.

I didn't hear from him again until my dog died. I was bereaved & had a dream of him & my friend playing in a green field. They'd never met but I knew Ricky was showing me he was with him.

There's been nothing since but my heart is free & at peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 07:42 PM
Location: Carbondale, Illinois
24 posts, read 16,224 times
Reputation: 70
So other than my husband's pennies from heaven, my deceased son has left me a silk rose. It was the, second birthday, 2016 after he died. I made his favorite childhood breakfast, chocolate chip pancakes and sausage, and ate it and left some by his picture for the day, just as a happy childhood memory. I then went to yoga. When I returned, I had parked the car in the 30 minute spot outside of our condo, which is slightly elevated, and only has 3 spaces, I went upstairs, and when I returned there was a white silk rose by the driver's door. Since it is elevated when I drove up, I know it was not there. It was not windy, and there were no cars when I parked there and none when I left. I knew few people in the building and never mentioned my son was deceased, and no way would anyone know it was his birthday. My husband was not his father, and he did not know it was my son's birthday, and was still in bed, when I returned home from yoga. It was sweet, but a little creepy. But if indeed was not from my son, it would have been extremely coincidental, that this would be there on his birthday on the ground by my car door. Will always keep that rose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2017, 08:14 AM
Location: New Mexico
5,122 posts, read 2,928,500 times
Reputation: 9453
Saying goodbye...
When my uncle died he was buried in a military veterans cemetery. At the cemetery we were in a small open pavilion overlooking the row of graves. Just as the ceremony was ending a herd of six deer ran out of the woods and toward the pavilion. They paused for a couple second when they got close and then went on down the hill through the rows of headstones. Everyone just watched and then looked among ourselves with a sort of knowing expression that that was a sign.

Another time, a close friend, who was always a jokester and teaser, died in an accident. We had about a dozen or more cars following the hearse on the way to the cemetery. After a couple blocks we were stopped because we ran head-on into a little league parade of a hundred or more kids with a couple floats and banners and kids all in uniform having a great time. They were taking up the entire street so we had to slowly inch past them. It was perfect because this is the kind of joke our friend would have pulled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2017, 02:44 AM
Location: R.I.
879 posts, read 524,095 times
Reputation: 3762
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
If something happened for you, and you wish to share, what was it?
On 11/29/01 at 3:00 am I awoke bolt upright from my sleep which was not an usual occurrence for me. I noticed my husband was not in bed which was not uncommon as I usually went to bed before him. I could hear the TV on downstairs and figured my husband fell asleep in the recliner and I decided to go wake him up and tell him to go to bed. When I reached the living room my husband was not in the recliner, and I then looked towards my kitchen and the overhead light was on which was odd because we rarely used that light. As I approached the entrance to the kitchen our two golden retrievers came rushing towards me sort of like in a panic state and as I made my way around the table I found my husband on the kitchen floor. I am an R.N. and at that time had 20 years of emergency nursing experience and determined quickly my husband was in cardiac arrest and I began CPR. Sadly those skills I had and used often successfully on countless patients would not bring the person I loved the most in this world back to life.

I made it through the funeral which was very difficult as my husband's death was an unexpected shock for everyone especially my mother-in-law, and after taking several weeks off from work I returned which was also difficult because I had just started a new job. Fortunately my new colleagues were so kind and understanding I actually looked forward to going to work to get out of my house because it was no longer the home I shared many happy memories in with my husband, it was now the home that my husband died in and I dreaded to return home. If it wasn't for the fact that my beloved dogs were there to keep me company I am not sure I could have remained living there.

As time progressed nights and sleeping became very difficult for me, and loss of sleep was starting to impact my health and that left me with zero energy and doing my job was getting very difficult. I remember one night about two months after my husband died being in such a state of grief and crying uncontrollably, and I cried out to my him to find a way to let me know he was ok which I needed to know to help me move on so that I could continue to work and support myself because there was no other option for me. Right after voicing my plea to my husband I immediately fell asleep and both my dogs were on the bed with me. At 3 am I awoke bolt upright to the most intense smell of popcorn.

My husband was a huge fan of popcorn and it was his nightly ritual to have microwave popcorn while he watched TV. Everyone from friends to family knew about my husband's love for popcorn they would give it to him by the case for birthdays and Christmas. I on the other hand was never a big popcorn fan, so no popcorn was made in my house following his death. I know I was not imagining this smell because I had my two dogs with me that were sniffing like crazy and jumped off the bed and began to run about the bedroom I think looking for both my husband and the popcorn because he usually shared it with them. The smell lasted a good 5 minutes and slowly disappeared. Following that experienced a great sense of peace fell over me because I believed and still do that through the smell of popcorn which I would only attribute to my husband, it was his way of giving me the confirmation I asked for to let me know he was ok.

My life going forward from that point did not immediately turn into a bed of roses and had to continue on my personal journey of healing my grief. But the wondering if my husband survived death and was ok in the afterlife was no longer part of my journey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2017, 12:46 PM
Location: Tulare County, Ca
1,031 posts, read 609,720 times
Reputation: 1767
That was a great story. It help bolster my lagging faith a little. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2017, 09:37 AM
Location: Midvale, Idaho
1,428 posts, read 2,255,690 times
Reputation: 1826
Had another visit last night in a different kind of way. Sorry for the book. Friend and I on a very small caretaker group on FB were posting to each other back and forth last night about our husbands ashes. I am on a mission of sorting and organizing. I am working on two small suitcases of computer stuff and one was mostly full of old Floppy discs. I knew there were photos on those disks so wanted to check each one before tossing them..

So having a box of discs sitting on my ottoman working on them between waiting for her to answer. The discs were in no order just all thrown in the suitcase when we moved 9 years ago. Never touched again. I used to have a mavica camera and it used the floppy discs. All this done before flash drives became cheep.

She and I were talking about what we did with our husbands ashes and she said his were on her dresser with a photo and it was what her husband wanted. I told her I was not ready to view Joe's box daily and still had it in his dresser drawer with many of his favorite things. My Joe told me he could care less what I did with his ashes other then NO burial or head stone. Adamant on that one and I feel the same for me. We worked the cemeteries for 11 years and did many many burials and just did not want that to be our final resting place.

Seconds after I posted this to her the disc I put in the drive was of Joe on the mower from 2004. I was kind of excited this happened and so was she as it happened right in real time as we were talking. Really what is the likelihood out of maybe 150-200 floppy discs most filled with photos that this one photo would come up. It is the only photo of Joe I have come across on the discs so far and I had been working on this a good part of the afternoon and evening. We both felt it was a sign.
Attached Thumbnails
Signs from the deceased-8-10-04-joe-mowing.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2017, 11:06 AM
475 posts, read 176,350 times
Reputation: 1542
I don't know if these "feelings" count as signs, but I find them a little disturbing.

A couple of months ago, I had a very strong urge to tell my husband to call his mother. (I thought, it's dinner time for her (different time zone), I will remind him later.) I said nothing. About 30 minutes later, we got a call from his brother - the nursing home called and told him my MIL choked to death in the dining room.

The worst part about this circumstance is that while we were visiting her last Christmas, my MIL choked on her food a couple of times. I ran and got a nurse. The nurse acted as if my MIL was being overly dramatic. I told her I was very concerned about it because my MIL was paralyzed on one side. I should have spoken to her supervisor.

My husband told me after her death that she was supposed to be on a pureed food diet, but my MIL was stubborn and refused to eat pureed food. The nursing home did not follow the directive. I feel angry about it. I feel enormous guilt too.

Also, on numerous occasions since her death, I have unwittingly called my husband by his full name - the name his mother always used. I have never referred to him by his full name. I find it odd. I feel like it is her presence or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2017, 04:36 PM
Location: SW US
1,999 posts, read 1,855,630 times
Reputation: 3354
One night, when my mother was in the process of dying of cancer, I sat down to read. I began to feel a sharp pain in my heart area, and worried I was having a heart attack. Soon the hospice nurse called me to say she had just died, at the time when I felt the pain. When the phone rang, I knew it was to tell me that.
A few weeks after her death, a "vision" of her as a young girl, before I was born, came into my head. She was happy and laughing and skipping. I took that to mean she was happy and well again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2017, 01:34 AM
Location: PNW
2,215 posts, read 738,340 times
Reputation: 7258
My daughter died tragically at age 18, and we both have experienced "visits" from her. So did some of her friends. I always analyzed the experiences to make sure in my mind that it wasn't something explainable otherwise. Most were not. It only occurs on occasion now.

One of the last ones is a case where I could not find a small ziplock pk of earrings in my jewelry box (which is a fish-tackle box). I knew it should have been there, and I literally dumped the box at least twice to go over it thoroughly. Never there. I looked in any other conceivable place and never found it. Within a few days I opened the box for something else, and there it is right on top! And, no, it wasn't my husband's doing.

Shortly after she died I had a period with pennies (I've read that coins are a common vehicle for communication), and the pennies were always in 3s. When I went for walks I would notices 3 pennies together, or they would be spaced out more - but never found more than 3. Same thing if I was riding my bike and happened to notice pennies. This went on for months. Last time it happened was at the grocery store when I checked my coin purse while waiting. I wanted a couple of pennies and didn't see any. OK. But when I opened it again, right on top of the folded bills were 3 pennies! I felt a bit of anxiety because it was just too weird, but it was more of an awe. Maybe "she" thought she scared me because it never happened anymore. It was a fun game. Never could figure out the significance of the number '3', though. Maybe it stood for I Love You.

Not everyone is fortunate enough to experience ADCs, and maybe it's there but they're not tapping into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2017, 08:18 AM
835 posts, read 1,486,250 times
Reputation: 800
I had one "visit" from my mum after she died. It was about 3 years after she died and I had a dream that was so vivid I still can remember it. She came to spend the day with me and in the dream, I was aware that she was visiting from the dead, and we just sat and talked all day about everything that she had missed the last few years and about how much she loved me and missed me and I her. I remember at the end, she said "I have to go now" and I said "I don't want you to go" and she said that she knew and that she was with me and watching me every single day.
I woke up crying and feeling comforted at the same time. This was 13 years ago and has never happened again since. I am crying actually just typing this out. (and i"m not a very emotional person).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top