U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 04:33 PM

1,428 posts, read 2,253,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
A few months after my daughter died one of her friends came to our house in a bit of a panic, and she asked me right away to let her look at Bev's perfumes. She hurried into the bedroom and smelled most of them before she said, "That's it!" It confirmed that she had a olfactory visit from Bev.

What happened is that she was driving along the freeway and she noticed a sudden strong smell of this perfume in her car. She noticed that she was near the cemetery, so she made an unplanned side-trip to go to Bev's gravesite, and she said that the scent got stronger. It started to go away after she left. This girl did not wear perfume and was not familiar with the brand she picked.
AW how sweet is this. In a way both of you were able to share this olfactory visit. Bless you for letting her friend in to sniff. I bet both of you were kind of in aw. So sorry for the loss of your daughter. There are no words. I just can not imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 04:23 PM

680 posts, read 655,654 times
This just happened a couple of nights ago...

Both my parents are deceased, so I was a little depressed, missing them. I'm going through a lot of good things in my life now, with work and my son, and I was sad because I don't have them here to share my experiences. I don't wear perfume, and I don't have any scents on my room. For a few minutes, I smelled my mom's perfume. I smelled it right next to me, in the corner by my bed. I'd like to think it was mom checking on me, there isn't any other explanation I can think of for the scent appearing.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:31 PM

1,428 posts, read 2,253,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBC View Post
I think for some, they do believe that it came from the deceased but I simply do not believe it. Not trying to down play anything here, want to believe, I truly do because I would love nothing more than to have a "sign" from my fiancé who passed three years ago this May due to an accident.

Either it isn't real or maybe she just doesn't want me to have a sign, lol or maybe I am just being too much of an engineer and not actually seeing the signs....who knows but I do know I cannot tell you what I had for lunch or dinner that day I got the phone call but I can tell you that I was working in my yard when I got the phone call she was gone.
From most reading I have done about this it will state if you do not believe it just makes it harder for them to come through to you. Eventually they give up. Not sure if there is any truth to this. Just what I have hear here and there and I am sorry I do not have links to any of it.

I hope she does come to you to sooth your sole.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:19 AM

668 posts, read 240,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
A number of us have experienced oddities after a death that are not easily explained by logic or science. There are various "explanations" for these events, but those are irrelevant for the purposes of this thread.

Very simply, did you have any experience after the death of a loved one that made you think/wonder if they were attempting to communicate, guide, or bring comfort?

This is NOT a place to attempt to explain. This is NOT a place to attempt to place the event in a context. This is NOT the place to denigrate or say "That is impossible." If you want to do any of those things - start a new thread, or link to a thread in a different forum if it is inappropriate here.

After my wife died, one of the first things that happened for me was finding a poem of hers that was in an obscure place, affirming our love. The chances of my coming across it were on the order of 1 in 1,000. If something happened for you, and you wish to share, what was it?
Yes. None from human passings. All from my beloved fur children. Still happens, too. The last one that died still sleeps with me every night. I feel her jump on the bed. She comes when I cry myself to sleep, which is a couple of times a week now, but getting less and less. I never want to stop though. Crying means she is still with me in spirit and heart. I never want to forget her or "get used" to being alone.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:48 AM
Status: "Fighting off mauraders, again..." (set 10 days ago)

1,391 posts, read 432,715 times
Twice in my life, grandma has sat down on my bed, when I was in twilight sleep. I could feel the bed push down & she was wearing a flowered dress... the same one in the last pic taken of her. She said nothing & it wasn't uncomfortable or fearful, but I have no idea why she was there, meaning, it wasn't a particularly stressful time & there was no illness, so that one might think she was saying all will be well. I've also never lived with her, so there wasn't a time when she has sat on my bed... meaning, it wasn't from a long ago memory. I just don't know why she appeared.

The oddest part of it is, both times it's happened, it's also happened in the same evening to 1 of my sisters, who lives cross country. She also had no idea why.

And, like another has said, I've felt the same with my kitty... the bed pressing down as if she'd jumped on it. I've seen her out of the corner of my eye many times in the past. It hasn't happened for 10-yrs now (grandma or kitty), but was very comforting & I wish I'd felt them around more often.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:51 AM

25,454 posts, read 23,273,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
A number of us have experienced oddities after a death that are not easily explained by logic or science. There are various "explanations" for these events, but those are irrelevant for the purposes of this thread.

Very simply, did you have any experience after the death of a loved one that made you think/wonder if they were attempting to communicate, guide, or bring comfort?

This is NOT a place to attempt to explain. This is NOT a place to attempt to place the event in a context. This is NOT the place to denigrate or say "That is impossible." If you want to do any of those things - start a new thread, or link to a thread in a different forum if it is inappropriate here.

After my wife died, one of the first things that happened for me was finding a poem of hers that was in an obscure place, affirming our love. The chances of my coming across it were on the order of 1 in 1,000. If something happened for you, and you wish to share, what was it?
well, if my two sisters hadn't been there, wouldn't be sharing this....lol
oh, and I'm so sorry for your loss....

Our mother was clinically blind. Sister bought her a clock, that was in the shape of a half moon. It was for blind people, if she'd press the top of the clock, it would giver her the time, date and inside temp.

So, after she passed away, we would meet at the house to go thru things and clean it out every Sunday....

And every Sunday, when we'd all arrive, we'd be in the living room or downstairs bedroom, and the clock would go off as if someone had pressed that button several times. Over and over again it would give us the time, date and inside temp.

At first it really spooked us, but after a few Sundays, we became used to it, and my sister would look at me and say, "She is just letting us know she is ok".

We'd all smile and get back to our job at hand.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieKarm View Post
Yes. None from human passings. All from my beloved fur children. Still happens, too. The last one that died still sleeps with me every night. I feel her jump on the bed. She comes when I cry myself to sleep, which is a couple of times a week now, but getting less and less. I never want to stop though. Crying means she is still with me in spirit and heart. I never want to forget her or "get used" to being alone.
your never alone....however, in pure concern I'd like to say, let her go....b/c I fear if you don't she might not be able to advance to another plain that she is supposed to be in....she is there in your heart....always...and you'll never forget her, I promise, but as the weeks and years go by, you'll be more at peace, in knowing, she is fine, and so will she....

Hugs....Creme

Old 10-05-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
I had one "visit" from my mum after she died. It was about 3 years after she died and I had a dream that was so vivid I still can remember it. She came to spend the day with me and in the dream, I was aware that she was visiting from the dead, and we just sat and talked all day about everything that she had missed the last few years and about how much she loved me and missed me and I her. I remember at the end, she said "I have to go now" and I said "I don't want you to go" and she said that she knew and that she was with me and watching me every single day.
I woke up crying and feeling comforted at the same time. This was 13 years ago and has never happened again since. I am crying actually just typing this out. (and i"m not a very emotional person).
I had the same kind of dream. Our mom and me were very close....she was more or less a foster mom of sorts, as I'd known her since I was five years old. they had me over to their home all the time, and took me everywhere with them. They were the kindest people I've ever known. Used to follow her around the house like a puppy dog, having heart to heart talks.

She was introverted, while her sister, was hugely outgoing...flew an airplane, was a world traveler, writer, you name it, she did it.

So, after my mom passed, I had one of those so real dreams....she was in the living room, that used to be our dinning room when we were all home, but now became an addition to the living room. She was going thru the money drawer (we used to call it) of her antique hutch. She always had cash all lined up in one's, five's, ten's and twenty's, in case she needed cash. In this dream I waked into the living room and mentally said in Shock, "MOM" She looked at me and smiled, and her clothing transformed....all of a sudden, she was wearing kaki jodphurs (similar to English riding Jodphurs)....with long blond hair....???? She reminded me of a beauty Kathryn Hepburn....
She spoke to me mentally and said she had to leave now....and I said OK, and I love you....she looked young and beautiful.

Upon waking up, I felt so at peace....so, good with the world. I felt like she was assuring me, she was with her sister, who loved to fly.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:19 PM

51 posts, read 21,623 times
Soon after my wife and I got married, we bought her Mom a grandfather clock for Christmas one year. It was a very expensive purchase for us as I was only a three-striper in the Air Force and we were living from paycheck to paycheck. But her mom had always wanted a grandfather clock and we wanted to do something special for her.

Flash forward 25 or so years later. Her Mom, after living with us for about 10 years, was stricken with Alzheimer's and dementia that advanced quite rapidly. It wasn't long until we were no longer able to care for her ourselves and we had no choice but to put her in a nursing home. Two months later, the disease took her and she was gone.

A couple of weeks later, it was just another day at the casa and the wife was doing some vacuuming and I was doing something on the PC in my office. Without any warning, a very loud bang occurred and I jumped from my chair to see what happened. My wife, also startled, turned off the vacuum and we met in the middle of the living room quizzing each other on what the hell that loud noise was.

We looked around a bit, seeing nothing obvious, no pictures falling off the wall, nothing in the kitchen had fallen onto the floor, etc.

It was then the wife noticed something strange about the clock. Not only had it stopped, but the pendulum was laying inside the base of the clock behind the locked glass door. Now, if anyone here knows anything about floor-standing grandfather clocks, the pendulum is quite heavy and hangs from a strong hook behind the clock mechanism. Once hung, it takes considerable effort to raise the pendulum off the hook. But somehow, without either of us being near that clock, the pendulum was lifted off the hook and then dropped to the bottom of the cabinet; that was the loud noise we heard.

The wife and I immediately knew who was responsible for it.

Although the pendulum was hung back up on the hook inside the clock, we chose not to start it back up again. Don't ask me why.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:12 PM

5,768 posts, read 3,091,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
For me it is a matter of faith. I believe that direct communication from God or from those who are with him happens only when we actually need it. Although I received a message from my father and my husband, I did not receive any communication from my mother, my grandparents, aunts and uncles, etc. I have total trust that if I need communication, it will come, and if I don't, it won't. It really is not up to me. But in addition to having faith and trust, one must be open and listening. Not all people are. As far as the science behind it, I don't know, and I doubt this is something that will ever be known. I am a science based person (medical field) but I accept that there are things that are beyond human knowledge. Just because we cannot prove it doesn't mean its not there.
Same here .... I have had communications with some who'd I never thought would be appropriate and never had any with some whom I thought would be. It is totally up to God, which I confess to having trouble with at times ... I foolishly think I know better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning