U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 08:32 AM

22,709 posts, read 21,760,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Me too. The anniversary of her death hit me much harder this year too ...........
I don't know why this year seems worse, but it does. At least to me.

It seems that half of the people I've known have died. I just can't think about that every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 08:49 AM

4,316 posts, read 2,151,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Me too. The anniversary of her death hit me much harder this year too ...........

"anniversary of her death "

A funeral home where my farm was partnered with the local farm radio station over 20 years ago and started a wonderful program on Sunday mornings from 8 AM-8:30 called Music and Memories

The program starts out with reading the names and dates of everyone that died and their death anniversary is in the upcoming week. ( loved ones send in the info 2 weeks in advance"

The rest of the half hour is filled with hymns and ends with the list read one more time.

There usually are about 25 names on that list and I usually knew a few of them on the list and my usual comment is............"I didn't realize it was that many years ago "

I do send in my father, mother, and wife's dates when the anniversary gets close.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:01 AM

5,106 posts, read 2,918,142 times
Some years it seems more noteworthy or maybe I'm more sensitive some years -- but mostly I just know it in my mental calendar what day it is. This year...I don't know. I'm coming up on the ten year mark in about two weeks. As it happens, by coincidence, my daughter will be with me that day so we might do something special.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:48 PM

2,478 posts, read 2,016,066 times
Nothing; just another day in the life.....

Old 07-13-2017, 07:47 PM

1,428 posts, read 2,253,741 times
I did not do anything when hubby's birthday rolled around. I mentally wished him a happy birthday in heaven.Otherwise I just remembered him as I always do every day. I did not celebrate my birthday either. We never did. I have been through all the first years events except for the final one coming in August. So hard to believe it has almost been 11 months now and then one year. I just try to keep remembering the good times we had.

Now my dog just had his eleventh birthday on the 10th and I got down on the floor , put my arms around him, and sang happy birthday to him and he acted like he thought I was nuts. Hahahah Well maybe just a little. But it sure was fun to see his little stub of tail going about 90 MPH.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:13 PM

567 posts, read 212,844 times
On their birthdays I ask God to tell them I still remember them, love them, miss them and have so much to tell them when I see them again in heaven.

Old 07-15-2017, 03:30 PM

7,966 posts, read 6,716,042 times
My wife and often forgot our anniversary, each others birthdays, etc. We just never made a big thing about them. I think about her on her birthday and offer a toast to her for helping make my life as good as it is.

Old 07-15-2017, 04:32 PM

11,624 posts, read 5,465,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
"anniversary of her death "

A funeral home where my farm was partnered with the local farm radio station over 20 years ago and started a wonderful program on Sunday mornings from 8 AM-8:30 called Music and Memories

The program starts out with reading the names and dates of everyone that died and their death anniversary is in the upcoming week. ( loved ones send in the info 2 weeks in advance"

The rest of the half hour is filled with hymns and ends with the list read one more time.

There usually are about 25 names on that list and I usually knew a few of them on the list and my usual comment is............"I didn't realize it was that many years ago "

I do send in my father, mother, and wife's dates when the anniversary gets close.
I like that!

Old 08-16-2017, 02:11 PM

3,462 posts, read 1,644,308 times
I used to always put a little memorial message in the local paper on my husband's birthday, I think for the first five years after his death. I just realized today that I forgot his birthday two days ago and I honestly feel like I "betrayed" him. I know that's foolish, but I'm just in tears because even though it's been nine years since he died, I should have remembered his birthday, dammit!

Old 08-16-2017, 02:19 PM

3,964 posts, read 5,249,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I used to always put a little memorial message in the local paper on my husband's birthday, I think for the first five years after his death. I just realized today that I forgot his birthday two days ago and I honestly feel like I "betrayed" him. I know that's foolish, but I'm just in tears because even though it's been nine years since he died, I should have remembered his birthday, dammit!
I know everyone has their own way to remember those we've lost, but it seems like this is sort of a betrayal of your own making. Do you really think your husband would interpret the fact that you are involved in life and just forgot this as a betrayal? I don't know, but I expect your husband would think of you as a human, which necessarily means we forget things now and then. If you are busy in a good way, would he look on that as a good thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or