U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 01:27 AM

4,680 posts, read 2,302,044 times

Advertisements

I can only guess at the things I survived (and am still surviving), but the one thing that still haunts me is what I almost did to a friend of mine. We were trying to catch a stray dog on the freeway. My friend got out of my truck to approach the dog on foot. When she was way down the road, I saw the dog was going to cross the busy freeway. So I sped up in my truck, driving along the shoulder of the freeway to block him.

I was so focused on the dog I almost hit my friend in the head with my side mirrors as I passed her at 30 mph. I swerved just in time. She never knew and I never told her, but that single incident could have changed both our lives forever.

These things are called flashbacks and this is what a lot of our troops go through when they come home from a war. Over time, a lot of flashbacks recede or we learn to deal with them. Sometimes they don't.

OP, my guess is in time you'll get over what happened to you but if you don't and it's still eating at you a couple weeks from now, I'd suggest some counseling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 07:01 AM

5,577 posts, read 4,785,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post

Does it haunt me today, no. I laugh about this stuff with friends who also did some of the same stuff. Shaking our heads about how we thought we were invincible.
The same with me and I think this is typical for most people.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:40 PM

23,605 posts, read 30,334,400 times
Several experiences starting at age 20 back in 1966 when I enlisted in the military and, predictably, ended up overseas. A couple of years after I got out I went into law enforcement. Between the two, stuff happened! Nature of the beast and I just took it in stride. Mission accomplishment.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:25 PM

15,682 posts, read 3,112,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Several experiences starting at age 20 back in 1966 when I enlisted in the military and, predictably, ended up overseas. A couple of years after I got out I went into law enforcement. Between the two, stuff happened! Nature of the beast and I just took it in stride. Mission accomplishment.
Thanks for your service in law enforcement and the military.You are one of my heroes.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:01 PM

13,340 posts, read 10,905,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianote93 View Post
I did something really stupid this evening and I could have been killed. I keep obsessing over what could have happened. It's bothering me so much I can't go back to sleep.

I see it as a near-death experience.

How can I stop obsessing over it?

Have any of you had near death experiences? If so, how did you cope?
I've come close to death a few times. Both by my actions and because of accident/illness. I don't know how I coped really. I guess I justooked at it as I didn't die, and put it at the back of my mind in the end. A couple times it did bother me for a while. Made me think about things. But I took it as another chance to make myself better.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:54 AM

2,201 posts, read 735,109 times
I have often wondered if I'm not a cat in disguise. It wasn't 9 but I can think of 5 incidents off-hand where it was obviously NOT my time. Some were serious, so I've wondered if neither Heaven nor Hell wants me.

I think the creepiest one was when I caught a van drive past me one afternoon while I was walking and he slowed down and watched me. That in itself was no big deal but I had a bad feeling. Up ahead I spotted that van in the parking lot of a grocery store, parked nearer to the street and he was just sitting there. That chilling feeling hit me again, and I wasn't about to go right past him. I cut across into the store and called my husband at a pay phone to come pick me up (this was in the 90's). I was just lucky that it was a busy street with somewhere to turn to.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:48 PM

1,428 posts, read 2,253,741 times
When my hubby was in the hospital for 28 days after his whipple surgery for pancreas cancer I over did it in trying to be everything everywhere at once for the duration. Hospital was 100 mile drive=200 miles a day. Long story short I fell asleep at the wheel on the way home one evening and woke just in time to keep from going into the ditch on the side of the road. Needles to say I had to just take a couple of days to stay home and get some rest. I would be no good to him dead when he came home. Or as totally exhausted as I was at that time. He needed 24/7 care for a few months and I was it when he got home.It still bothers me but I try to take it for what it was ,a severe warning.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:08 AM

964 posts, read 249,492 times
You had a panic attack. Look into getting a scrip for Valium or Xanax.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:56 PM

1,652 posts, read 597,473 times
I've had two instances of near death. Jumped off a cliff into a river with some friends when about 16, pretty strong current. Luckily we were all strong swimmers and made it to shore. Probably why I have a fear of heights now.

The other I was attached and choked until unconscious by a stranger, was 15at the time. They never caught him, he was wearing a face mask. I came to and he was gone. Don't know if he was scared off or just stopped. I was babysitting at the time at a neighbor's home. Luckily he didn't touch the children. Never liked being alone in the dark after that. I was a pretty mad about it and pissed off. Went to school next school days bruises and all and when people asked me what happened I told them. Darned if I was going to cower and hide because of a insane freak.

As for advise.. We are only here for a finite amount of time, enjoy it while you can and don't sweat the small stuff.
You didn't purposely try to hurt yourself did you? If you did seek help. If it was just being stupid say lesson learned and don't do it again.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 08-12-2017 at 12:48 AM..

Old 08-12-2017, 10:54 PM

94 posts, read 49,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Quite a few, but that was in my job description. Even though the basic premise of what I was doing is stupid to many people, the law would not allow me to call in an airstrike on a house instead.

But to be honest, every time I leave the house and get into traffic you have a chance of being killed.

So, what did you do? Inquiring minds need to know.
I'm just seeing this as i'm re-reading these comments because I'm having an obsessive moment about the experience again. Always happens at night.

Anyway, I crawled under a train to get home. A minute later it started moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or