Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 04:22 AM

95 posts, read 76,542 times

Advertisements

I did something really stupid this evening and I could have been killed. I keep obsessing over what could have happened. It's bothering me so much I can't go back to sleep.

I see it as a near-death experience.

How can I stop obsessing over it?

Have any of you had near death experiences? If so, how did you cope?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 11:55 AM

23,533 posts, read 69,959,736 times
That is simply your mind and body doing their job to imprint the experience so you won't do it again. Recognize it fully, thank it, and promise to remember. It'll fade into perspective in a few days.

I've had a few near death experiences. Ultimately, the way to cope is to not fear death. That comes easier with age and experience. Faith and religion help many people.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,596 posts, read 57,546,778 times
I am still haunted (40+ yrs later) on 3-4 life threatening stupid things...

Be grateful, be wise, be assured (Your time has not come YET!)

Old 07-18-2017, 01:32 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,208,636 times
Quite a few, but that was in my job description. Even though the basic premise of what I was doing is stupid to many people, the law would not allow me to call in an airstrike on a house instead.

But to be honest, every time I leave the house and get into traffic you have a chance of being killed.

So, what did you do? Inquiring minds need to know.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:52 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,550,202 times
I pray.

I say a morning prayer for protection and discernment throughout the day.

I say an evening prayer for thanks and for peaceful sleep.

OP, we all do dumb things! As one poster said, acknowledge what you did, resolve not to do it again, and
move on.

Time really will help in this instance.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I am still haunted (40+ yrs later) on 3-4 life threatening stupid things...

Be grateful, be wise, be assured (Your time has not come YET!)
Really? What happened?

Old 07-18-2017, 07:10 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,671,938 times
I have had a couple close calls that stuck with me for a bit and wore off in time, except for one incident 2 years ago. I was the same, couldn't sleep well thinking about it constantly. Overtime it did lessen but I still think about it and it still scares me. It's normal though after any traumatic experience to feel that way and loose sleep over it. Probably the best thing to help is time, eventually that obsession your feeling will probably fade.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:25 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,498,103 times
Good Lord, I did the most death defying stupid crap in high school on a almost daily basis. And then off and on till I was 26, when a loved one was killed in a motorcycle accident. Was a miracle I wasn't on the bike with him.

I wonder how I survived now at 60. Does it haunt me today, no. I laugh about this stuff with friends who also did some of the same stuff. Shaking our heads about how we thought we were invincible. No we would NEVER redo these experiences. I'm not in the same shape or physical condition as High School.

I live with the belief my life is set before I'm born. It was his destiny to die at 26, not mine. God had other plans for me.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:51 PM

509 posts, read 481,018 times
Two really stupid "near death" experiences I had was once when I darted out between two parked cars on a busy street, and just as I was about to take my next step, I was blown backwards by a patrol car doing about 60mph with no lights or siren. It didn't actually touch me, but I was close enough to it that one more step would have been my very last.

The other dumb thing I did was when I was walking through some woods with a girl I wanted to impress and we came upon a single railroad track. For whatever stupid reason, I got the notion in my head that laying across the tracks would make a good picture. So I crouched down between the rails, and I was about to lay on my back with my head on a rail when a train came whizzing round the trees. I had just enough time to somersault out of the way. If there had been YouTube in those days, I might have been a star. If I had been just a little slower, I might have been a star on Best Gore.

In both cases, sheer dopey clueless stupidity put me in direct line of being instantly killed. In both cases, sheer dumb luck saved me by milliseconds...

So: do I have anything profound to share, having undergone two near death experiences caused by my own stupidity? Alas, I have nothing. I can report that in both cases, I was a little shaken up for about an hour, and kept muttering to whoever I was with what a close call I had just had. (Far from impressing the girl, I think I convinced her I was a moron) Then, the feeling faded.

Both of those incidents were over 20 years ago, but I still recall them vividly. All I can draw from them is a better understanding of just how fragile life is, and just how random our existence is. Why was I not run over, but the next person was? I have absolutely no clue. I don't think God rescued me for some deeper purpose. I certainly didn't earn my reprieve on life; it just wasn't my number being called on those days. I still hope one day I will draw something more useful from these incidents, but so far all I got is random...life is random...

Old 07-18-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliblue View Post
Two really stupid "near death" experiences I had was once when I darted out between two parked cars on a busy street, and just as I was about to take my next step, I was blown backwards by a patrol car doing about 60mph with no lights or siren. It didn't actually touch me, but I was close enough to it that one more step would have been my very last.

The other dumb thing I did was when I was walking through some woods with a girl I wanted to impress and we came upon a single railroad track. For whatever stupid reason, I got the notion in my head that laying across the tracks would make a good picture. So I crouched down between the rails, and I was about to lay on my back with my head on a rail when a train came whizzing round the trees. I had just enough time to somersault out of the way. If there had been YouTube in those days, I might have been a star. If I had been just a little slower, I might have been a star on Best Gore.

In both cases, sheer dopey clueless stupidity put me in direct line of being instantly killed. In both cases, sheer dumb luck saved me by milliseconds...

So: do I have anything profound to share, having undergone two near death experiences caused by my own stupidity? Alas, I have nothing. I can report that in both cases, I was a little shaken up for about an hour, and kept muttering to whoever I was with what a close call I had just had. (Far from impressing the girl, I think I convinced her I was a moron) Then, the feeling faded.

Both of those incidents were over 20 years ago, but I still recall them vividly. All I can draw from them is a better understanding of just how fragile life is, and just how random our existence is. Why was I not run over, but the next person was? I have absolutely no clue. I don't think God rescued me for some deeper purpose. I certainly didn't earn my reprieve on life; it just wasn't my number being called on those days. I still hope one day I will draw something more useful from these incidents, but so far all I got is random...life is random...
Enjoyed the story! Thank you soooo much! All you can do from the experience is learn <3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning