U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2017, 06:18 PM

858 posts, read 478,040 times

Advertisements

I visited Mt Vernon, saw George Washington's above ground coffin, and was very intrigued.

Wood eventually rot away; but stone can last millenniums if the walls are thick enough. Why isn't stone coffin more commonly used? In fact, the only stone coffin I have seen are for Pharaohs and George Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 06:34 PM

1,428 posts, read 2,255,690 times
I believe there are many in New Orleans areas and any area where they have to bury above ground.There is a book called Beautiful Dead with many amazing photos of above ground stone vaults.

Having worked in the cemeteries for 11 years most cemeteries require a cement liner placed in the grave with the casket inside that. Does not mean the cement liners top will never break as we saw it happen a time or two or three. Or no top even on one. Eventually the soil under the grass mat washes away with grass only bridging the grave and oops it will swallow a mower and it is not at all fun being on that mower when it happens. Talk about whiplash of the back.

Some cemeteries allow fiberglass liners. They of course are much lighter weight easier to handle.

Then there is a Montcello vault that is cement sprayed gold or copper and the inside of it is lined with a plastic or maybe it is fiberglass. When the lid is put on these vaults they seal with a special gasket that can not be pulled apart with out breaking the cement apart. Always best to have more than one person guiding that lid down. The gasket is covered with a plastic paper that is pulled at the last minute/seconds.

I would imagine the cost of a stone casket or vault would be very high and I believe there is still a casket in side the stone vault. Not 100% sure on that. Always my impression.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:02 PM

18,899 posts, read 6,176,358 times
More and more are opting for cremation and urns or just scatter remains into nature. Can't imagine going back to those heavy stone expensive coffins. Our family has spent many thousands on caskets, funerals and plots and NO ONE visits these grave sites. That supposedly was one major reason for cemeteries.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:01 AM

7,031 posts, read 3,757,641 times
Even if you're embalmed and placed in a stone coffin, you won't look anything like yourself in 10 years.

And, if you're not George Washington, who is going to be around in 100 years or even 50 years to traipse to your sarcophagus?

I'd rather just be cremated and my ashes scattered to the winds. Or, failing that, be buried in a coffin that decomposes right along with me.

When I'm gone, I'm gone. No need to build a monument to myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or