Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 12:03 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times

Advertisements

What did you do with yours and your spouse's who has passed over?

I still wear my wedding band on my left hand and always will because I will always consider myself still married to my wife even though she's no longer with us physically. She didn't want an engagement ring so I bought her a white gold wedding band set with black and white diamonds which she dearly loved. My wife had the most beautiful hands with long, slender fingers so her band is a petite, size five. I wear it around my neck on a chain long enough that the ring rests over my heart. There it will stay until I join her on the other side. In all fairness I should disclose that I'm just weeks from 71.

This is pure curiosity. What have those of you who have lost a spouse done with yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 04:41 PM

622 posts, read 395,926 times
I put our wedding bands on a charm bracelet. I also have my grandparents, parents, aunt and uncles's wedding bands on it.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:18 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Now that's a keepsake!

Old 06-28-2017, 09:28 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
I wear my late wife's and my wedding rings on a chain around my neck. I gave all her other jewelry to her sister and her sister's daughter. We had no children and her sister's daughter was her only niece.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:29 PM

622 posts, read 395,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Now that's a keepsake!
Ya it is. All the rings have engravings in them too, making them even more special. I've left instructions in my will for it to go to my daughter. She loves it.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:15 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,924,649 times
I actually have two. One just a band we used when we got married and it has not left my finger since that day even though it is very worn. A few years later I had two diamond rings that were also worn out made into a plain three diamond set and to keep this ring from wearing so fast we added another gold band to it. Had them soldered together. About 6 months before hubby died I noticed one of the prongs was broken so took the ring off to get it repaired. Well I could not go gallivanting off to find a jeweler while hubby was so sick so I just put it safely away. I did have it repaired after hubby died and am again wearing it on my left hand. I feel as you do Curmudgeon we are still married. No intention of even looking for another. My husband did not want a wedding ring. He said he almost got his finger torn off wearing one from his marriage before me. He was a professional motorcycle racer and mechanic for many years.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:29 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
There is no right or wrong about what we do with wedding rings. Whatever feels right is best. I would like to mention that not wearing the ring does not signify that one no longer loves the deceased spouse or that one is ready to "move on." Love is what is felt in the heart. A ring can be symbolic of that, but not necessarily. My husband never wore a ring; his desire to be ring-less did not mean anything negative about his love or commitment.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:27 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,624 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Ree View Post
I put our wedding bands on a charm bracelet. I also have my grandparents, parents, aunt and uncles's wedding bands on it.
WOW what a lovely bracelet! Did your aunt and uncle not have children, and your grandparents and parents had no other children besides yourself?

We parceled the rings out to different descendants. I'm now holding my father's wedding ring to be worn by one of my sons, who is about to become engaged, and my mother's engagement and wedding rings have been split between my sister and me.

It's interesting that you have all the family rings on one bracelet!

Old 07-02-2017, 10:22 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
It will be 10 years this month and I still wear my ring just as always. I was married half my life and I still feel married. I'm independent and comfortable on my own. I recently had another guy mention that he figured I wore my ring to attract women who would think I was "safe" for a friends with benefits relationship. Yikes...I was surprised at that. Where did that come from?

Old 07-03-2017, 12:12 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,924,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
It will be 10 years this month and I still wear my ring just as always. I was married half my life and I still feel married. I'm independent and comfortable on my own. I recently had another guy mention that he figured I wore my ring to attract women who would think I was "safe" for a friends with benefits relationship. Yikes...I was surprised at that. Where did that come from?
Men Bless their hearts. Some times they say the Darnedest things. I have not heard that one either??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning