U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 12:13 PM

3,256 posts, read 4,861,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I'm sorry if you have lost a decent neighbor...for that deserves proper respect.

When did you get to read the WILL to know the terms? Curious ..
First seven words of the OP states that he died with no will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 12:57 PM

344 posts, read 555,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Yes, that the person died without a will is clear. Therefore as the closet living relation, the mother would be determined by a probate court to be the sole beneficiary, not a cousin... even if she has been declared not legally competent she would still be the beneficiary although the court would assign her a guardian. Hopefully not the pillaging cousin.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:11 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,445,058 times
I would MYOB

Old 08-13-2017, 03:32 PM

4,461 posts, read 1,944,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Hey! Thanks for catching that, well by golly I am sure during a natural conversation with someone a person is bound to be forthright and simply say...hey! They died without a will.

THat is the last thing I would want to be privy to or feel needs to be told to a "neighbor".

Old 08-13-2017, 04:16 PM

3,256 posts, read 4,861,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unPescador View Post
Yes, that the person died without a will is clear. Therefore as the closet living relation, the mother would be determined by a probate court to be the sole beneficiary, not a cousin... even if she has been declared not legally competent she would still be the beneficiary although the court would assign her a guardian. Hopefully not the pillaging cousin.
Apparently not to the poster I was answering as s/he wanted to know how the OP knew about the terms of the "will".

Old 08-13-2017, 05:14 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,353,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unPescador View Post
Thanks for the responses. It's a cousin who hasn't spoken in years with my neighbor who passed. They were as soon as they found out he passed. I liked it that their driving his vehicles

Old 08-13-2017, 06:07 PM

7,557 posts, read 8,729,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
It's in the Bible: Deuteronomy 15:11 "For the scumbags will never cease to be in the land; therefore I command you, saying, 'You shall freely open the back of your hand..."
What??? Not only is this bible quote irrelevant to the specific question, I have no idea why you inserted "scumbags" for "the poor" AND put it in quotes like the authors of the bible use the word "scumbag".

Old 08-13-2017, 07:22 PM

16,594 posts, read 50,355,083 times
The word is "intestate" and each state has laws governing the laws governing the way the estate is handled. This is a case where a crime is likely being committed and MYOB is ridiculous, just as much as if a drug dealer were standing in front of the house handing out free samples. Reporting it to elder abuse investigators is likely to get the fastest response.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:17 AM

15,676 posts, read 17,988,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Thanks for the responses. It's a cousin who hasn't spoken in years with my neighbor who passed. They were as soon as they found out he passed. I liked it that their driving his vehicles
You want to do as others have suggested, contact Senior Services in your area. It sounds like this woman is being invaded by these people.....And, there are agencies in place that will prevent these folks from financially abusing this women.....And, the agency will determine if these folks are.

Regardless....you know simply based on the time frame that there is no way probate has gone through for your neighbor....so these folks should not be driving his car, living in his home or anything else likely.

I agree with Harry....Reporting to a program specializing in protecting elderly will get faster results. Also, have you even been able to check to see if this elderly woman is being taken care of properly by these invading cousins? This sounds urgent to me.

Here is a link....there are directions on how to report.

You can anonymously report this: https://dhs.dc.gov/service/adult-pro...ices-resources

Please keep updating. I hope that you can help this poor woman.

Also, call your local probate court. Usually listed under family court....and report this. The court can intervene and place an executor to manage this situation, so this poor woman isn't getting railroaded.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:28 AM

15,676 posts, read 17,988,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
I would MYOB
And that is why folks get away with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning