U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 11:47 AM

5,052 posts, read 601,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
My neighbor passed away with no will according to his friend. A distant cousin has now moved in and is putting his 87 year old mother in a nursing home. The poor guy isn't even buried and their living in his house and driving his car. I assumed their going thru his possessions inside the house as well. He had no children.

It makes me ill to see these lowlifes move in
So what business is it of yours? If the distant cousin has no right, the law will intervene.

Of course, if the 87-year-old mother was living there and was capable of mostly taking care of herself and did not need nursing care, then that is different, and I would be just as outraged as you seem to be -- and as others have said, I would report the situation to Social Services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 12:01 PM

6,724 posts, read 11,744,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
It sounds like the cousin strong armed himself into the house and is taking advantage of your neighbor's mother. If no one stops him, he will steal all of the estate's assets and she will be left with nothing.
Quote:
Their on the way stealing or taking items. I've given up the way ch or fight on this
But again, have you DONE anything? Several people have suggested contacting your local elder abuse organization. You keep telling us how bad the situation is, but you haven't told us at all if you have DONE anything.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:23 PM

1,326 posts, read 528,365 times
Quote:
My neighbor passed away with no will according to his friend. A distant cousin has now moved in and is putting his 87 year old mother in a nursing home. The poor guy isn't even buried and their living in his house and driving his car. I assumed their going thru his possessions inside the house as well. He had no children.

It makes me ill to see these lowlifes move in
Ok, you don't know if the cousin hasn't "moved in" to get the house in order so that it can be sold. Who cares if he is driving his car. Moving the 87 year old mother to a nursing home means that they will go over her assets before medicare will pay. Apparently, there are no closer relatives to do this. Someone has to. The 87 year old probably cannot live on her own nor handle what needs to be done. You say he is not even buried yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning