U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 11:48 AM

1,581 posts, read 4,774,853 times

Advertisements

When my dad passed just shy of two years ago - we had a monumental task of cleaning out his workshop and the garage. I wouldn't say he was a hoarder, but he saved just about every scrap of everything. It was all neatly organized, but the more drawers and cabinets we opened, the more and more stuff we found. My brother and I were the ones that took care of it all and we already have our own homes, tools, etc so we didn't really need any of it. We ended up keeping a few things and holding a huge tag sale. The tag sale was a huge success - we made about $600 and during the last hour we changed all of the signs that were posted to "FREE". Let me tell you I have never seen so many people come out of nowhere. Within 30 minutes we went from 6 tables full of stuff to just 1. It was a win win. We made some money and didn't have to deal with boxing up all of the remaining items to donate or throw out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 12:11 PM

3,134 posts, read 1,230,147 times
You could consider posting stuff on Freecycle https://www.freecycle.org/browse/US

And there's also a "free" section on Craigslist

People will just come load up your unwanted stuff and take it away.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:16 PM

1,428 posts, read 2,257,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OH I have empty drawers and even pretty empty kitchen cupboards...I just paid a friend who is out of work now some money to clear out one cupboard. I don't entertain anymore.
I do not entertain either and rarely did. I did purge many of my appliances. My restricted way of eating is very simple so no need for these things. Now H is gone I can not see any reason to keep these things then the stupid thinking starts up and I think what if. Only my mind is pretty well made up there is not going to be what if happening in my life any more. Maybe it is the total commitment to shed the stuff that holds me back. Not sure. I did build a fun small 24 by 12 china cabinet from Bifold doors. I really had to clear out my treasures to the greatly reduced space. I am not at all interested in doing ebay so just passed them on. or sent to thrift stores. I do use my small set of green glass dishes for me and rarely for the times I have company. They will stay and glasses that go with them. I down sized coffee mugs to half or less. Still have way more than I need.

Today was going to be house outside painting day and it rained, Considered going to town for groceries but the start time is now to late. Hoping to paint tomorrow town Friday. Soooo Looks like today could be a good day to purge some more stuff so I can haul it off to town with my on Friday.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:54 PM

25,876 posts, read 49,802,708 times
The converse side is I know of families destroyed over things...

A house was being sold and the estate to be divided between 5 siblings...

Only two helped with getting the house ready as the other 3 were geographically challenged with one not attending the funeral.

Anyway... the deceased had and extensive record collection... old 78 records and old Edison Cylinders... and the oldest told the siblings to come and get what they wanted... the stuff that left was about a shopping cart per sibling...

So the oldest carts all the rest to his barn and tells everyone he is going to get rid of it if there are no takers and he does...

His wife started to put things up on E-Bay... when it was all said and done over the course of a year the net was $5,000.

The 3 that could not be bothered and received the distribution from the bank accounts, 401k and selling the cars now got a lawyer because claiming the oldest brother had cheated them and was selling their parents items and not sharing...

This is not the only issue over things even years later.

My neighbor was dying and gave me his bought new 1968 Cougar which I kept in storage for 11 years... his grandson approached me and said the car was promised to him and I should give it too him with his mother right behind him... this was 11 years after I received it...

To make things simple I offered to give them the car if they would reimburse me for 11 years of storage/expenses which came to about 10k... never heard another word.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 09-20-2017 at 03:04 PM..

Old 09-20-2017, 02:09 PM

It is very sad when family arguments come into play over just things and the siblings had their chance. Greed is so sad. When adoptive mother died I was in her will for 10K. Adoptive brother had me removed then some one else would put me back in and it happened so many times the attorney finally figured out adoptive brother was being terribly greedy. After all isn't over 600K inheritance enough you have to fight for another 10K?? LOL so sad. I did nothing in my defense I just let it all happen as it was going to happen. When the paper work and check came in the mail I deposited it and held onto it for awhile figuring A-brother was going to try again for another run at me for it. Oh gee he also died not too long after. Too bad and No I still got none of it. I am not bitter about it. I figure the lady that put up with his nasty self deserved every cent she got out of the deal. But once again I got more paper work from the attorney making sure I was not even going to try for any $$$.

This thread is such an eye opener to me on my own personal stuff. One little project cleared off to get going on a second area.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:48 PM

5,547 posts, read 4,403,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
This is the hardest thing for me. I had a relative pass away a few weeks ago and the task fell to me to clean out her house.

This woman was definitely a collector, just shy of a hoarder and accumulated 85 years of items in a 1400 square foot space. I really don't want any of this stuff, save a few pieces of jewelry. None of my relatives want it either. So donate/dumpster is the option.

Unsentimental as I tend to be, it still always bothers me to throw out the collection of a lifetime. There is a lot of care that goes into what most people fill their houses with, and it just seems wrong to trash it. But as I have no room to store this stuff, nor use for it, that is the option in many cases. I know its just "stuff" but it meant something to someone I care about.

I guess the question is, is there anyone out there who feels this way too? What do you do about it? I have plans to start giving away my possessions as I get older, instead of getting more, so that someone doesn't have to come to this cross roads after I am gone.
Is there really a lot of care into what people buy to go into their homes? If it is just piles of stuff? Probably not.

I have older friends that will spend hours in stores like Walmart and the dollar tree. I can't say that those things are valuable. I wonder why they bother. It is probably out of boredom.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:20 PM

8,010 posts, read 5,312,848 times
Went thru this when the FIL and his wife moved into ALF. The had a nice two bedroom with many terrific things, but no room at the new place. A lot got distributed, given away, sold or mostly dumped. Very sad. There's a thread over in Caregivers titled, "Nobody wants your mom's stuff" or something like that.
I look around here and dread the process one of us will inevitably have to go through. Wife has lots of clothes, jewelry, cosmetics, and decorative things all through the house. Attic is full of seasonal decorations and such.
I have lots of mechanics tools, carpentry, plumbing, and electric tools and supplies, scale models and tools and such. I worked for a garden tool company at one time and have all kinds of lawn care gadgets.
She and I have a few very nice things we inherited.
Unless one of us becomes President, nobody wants any of it.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:40 PM

10,422 posts, read 7,508,792 times
Maybe an estate sale? I hope to not have a ton of stuff to burden my family with. I've downsized to nothing twice to move and it actually felt great. The last move we packed and took stuff with us. I guess it's nice to end up with a bed to sleep on. All the nick nack stuff is not necessary. I've given up collecting books, too. I read and pass along. If I hate the book I throw it out. If I want to re-read a book you can buy them so cheaply online these days.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:12 PM

10,608 posts, read 13,409,363 times
Nah it doesn't bother me at all. In fact it makes me mad that the person was so rude as to have all that crap at the end of their lives and leave it for someone else.

When my mother died I made a deal with a guy who did flea markets that he could have everything in the basement and I threw in decent junk like Hummels and other collectibles - in exchange for broom clean. And some stuff from the garage like a brand new turkey fryer nobody used, tools, etc.

She was nowhere near a hoarder but still kept an annoying amount of stuff. Like one kitchen cabinet had YEARS worth of Sears and Penney's catalogs. WHY???? LOL

Anything decent and usable you can donate to Goodwill and Habitat and they'll pick it up. But you need to pack it for them which is also a PITA!

She had good and new furniture which was easily sold - mostly to the realtor and her friends!

Old 09-20-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Nah it doesn't bother me at all. In fact it makes me mad that the person was so rude as to have all that crap at the end of their lives and leave it for someone else.

When my mother died I made a deal with a guy who did flea markets that he could have everything in the basement and I threw in decent junk like Hummels and other collectibles - in exchange for broom clean. And some stuff from the garage like a brand new turkey fryer nobody used, tools, etc.

She was nowhere near a hoarder but still kept an annoying amount of stuff. Like one kitchen cabinet had YEARS worth of Sears and Penney's catalogs. WHY???? LOL

Anything decent and usable you can donate to Goodwill and Habitat and they'll pick it up. But you need to pack it for them which is also a PITA!

She had good and new furniture which was easily sold - mostly to the realtor and her friends!
And this is exactly what I keep thinking about my own stuff even though all of it is going to the Animal Rescue. I am still really enjoying the things I have kept . I also keep in mind a lot of my stuff is animal related as in bedding and throw covers to keep animal hair off couches. Piles of pretty spreads I do use often as the throw covers. Rugs towels and blankets and kennels that the rescue can use for their animals and all in good shape or I would not be keeping and using them.

Even so I need to be totally honest with myself and shed some more just stuff. In the whole scheme of things when everything is purged and organized into logical places and all like things together it makes it easier for me to find some thing when looking for it even if I do not remember exactly where I put it. You all know those perfectly safe places so some thing does not get lost that you can never find again. When ever I get a magazine in the mail I pull my name off of it and leave it at the post office for some one else to read. Magazines are not allowed in my house. LOL I only bring home an add paper when my stash of news papers gets low. Again leaving them in the recycle bin at post office. I rarely use the adds. My shopping is very limited.

I so hope when I am gone I do not make some one mad because of my stuff. When I no longer use hubbies tools they will go too. I have always used his tools about as much as he did so I have kept all of that. A few things I did not even know what they were I boxed up and took to one of his good friends and he was happy to have them. Books were purged years ago. I LOVE my Kindle and also put the kindle app on my laptop and other little tablet. Best thing since sliced bread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or