Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 07:10 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,825,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I agree... and have never understood replacements.. be it human or animal. you cant replace.... but sometimes having a new pet can be a comfort...
I think all of us who have lost a beloved pet have all said " Never again, I will never go through this again". But, after losing Scooter and Sniffy, one day Lucky came into my life when my son found him under a car at a traffic light. I planned to take him to the shelter on Monday, but by the end of the weekend I had fallen in love all over again.

He is not a replacement pet, but simply another chapter in my life. I look at it as I gave him a warm, loving home , and, in return, he has given me so much love in return..........and a million laughs. Right now, he is sitting on my lap, and I would not have this if he were not in my life.

Maybe wait awhile, and it might be appropriate to save another little animal and give them the same wonderful forever home you gave to your other dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 09:03 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,097,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Whatever amount of time YOU need is NORMAL and nobody gets to say boo about it.
It is true that we all have different time tables for surviving a loss. But extended grieving is not always normal. Especially if a person is not able to carry on with a satisfying life, is incapacitated from normal activities and if this is still true a few years after the loss, it is time to seek professional help, I think. There is such a thing as getting stuck in a grief reaction, and people who find themselves in that situation owe it to themselves, and often to their loved ones, to see if something else is needed to set them on a path to enjoying life again.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:03 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,366,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchz View Post
Not sure if this belongs here but I am wondering how much time is considered normal for grieving pets? I had to put my 11 yr old Chihuahua to sleep in June and then was watching my moms pug puppy afterwards and she got sick from vaccinations and died at 7 months old within a matter of days. I had been watching her for 3 months and had grown very attached. So now I feel so sad several times a day over the loss of both dogs - different things trigger me and I am so sad but don't want to keep bringing it up to my fiancé or son as I don't want to keep upsetting them about it. I feel like I may never get over either one of them almost like I lost a child - how to handle my grief without bringing everyone down?
have you done something like a memorial for them, to give you some closure?

maybe a special shrub planted where they used to hang out in the yard, or a piece of art, or a grave marker.
Something that you can place and look at and feel like you're remembering them.
because they'll always have a special place in your heart.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:48 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,188 times
My Shih Tzu Zachary died at 13 1/2 from congestive heart failure. I had him cremated and put the little urn inside his favorite sock toy and laid it in his bed surrounded by his other toys. Before I lay my head on my pillow at night I say, "Goodnight Zack".

It's been 15 years.

Old 10-15-2017, 02:05 AM

19,822 posts, read 12,084,715 times
There is a wonderful online support group that has helped me through more than one loss.

Pet Loss Grief Support Message Board

My last loss was a 2 yr old spirited papillon that I couldn't save despite desperate efforts. I was devastated and wailed for months. Several foster dogs came and went and I still cried daily until another papillon came to stay with me for two weeks. For the first time in four months I didn't cry.

You will grieve as long as you need to grieve. Where there is deep grief, there was great love.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:18 PM

353 posts, read 414,088 times
I lost my two Maltese sisters five weeks apart My friends came over we had lunch and I had two helium balloons and left notes in them and I let them up in the air. I still miss them so much. A year later I adopted a dog, she is completely different from my Maltese, she is Chihuahua and Papion. It took me almost two years to bond with her and now we are inseparable. She is actually the smartest dog I have ever owned but the most stubborn.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:47 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Sorry, I didn't read all of the posts. My mom adopted puppy mill dogs (eight, I think) and a couple of strays. They were all weird. The most hard core dog--the Westie--was a sweetheart. He was my best friend for a while.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:11 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,573,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I'm glad to read this as I still haven't gotten over losing my beloved pet over 7 years ago. We only had her a short time, but she was THAT special. We both had pets for decades that didn't affect us as much as her. She's the only one with a tomb stone....and a "memory book". Losing humans wasn't as difficult....
There's always one that's special, isn't there?

Old 10-26-2017, 10:49 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,199,589 times
Pets are like people, some we love more than others and when they pass it can really hurt.

We had cocker spaniels and they were both good dogs but the younger one by 2 years was and is full of character while the female that passed away was not as outgoing and personable. We were sad when she died and shed some tears for her but I know I'm going to be a real mess when my little buddy dies. My wife feels the same way and we also feel a bit of guilt that though we loved the one that died we seem to love the one we have more because of his personality.

I say take the time you need and don't feel silly about your grief.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:13 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
When my cat died suddenly last year, I was so devastated beyond belief. I sobbed like i never sobbed before. Even after a few months, I would cry suddenly.

I'm still not over it completely and miss him terribly. I did get another kitty and it has eased the pain and helped me heal.
I was like this when our Brittany died suddenly. It’s the shock of the suddenness that makes it harder, I think. When a pet is sick for awhile, we’re more prepared. A favorite cat got hit by a car once, and both Dh and I sobbed for days and mourned for months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning