Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 03:35 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by testing_waters View Post
like 10 years. if you tell someone that a relative or loved one passed that long ago, in context of a conversation and they reply with "I'm sorry", isn't that weird?

I never know what to say. it makes no sense. I often think they're just pitying me. it comes off as insincere. I have grown to hate these words so much. If people would say, "that must have been hard for you" that makes more sense. if it had only been a year or two, "I'm sorry" makes more sense. but when people say it YEARS after the fact, I can only perceive it as they're uncomfortable. I get it nearly every time I indulge in sharing the information that it has gotten to the point that in person I'm more mysterious because I just don't want to deal with it.

anyone else despise that response "I'm sorry" ?

What has been your experience with the public, not necessarily close friends or relatives who are most likely grieving with you, but with strangers, what do you think of it ?
Just say thank you and move on. Nobody is pitying you. It's a condolence type answer meant to convey sadness. I had friends and family pass away and people say I'm sorry and I simply say thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 12:13 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,101,553 times
I’ve been on both the giving & receiving end of “I’m sorry”.

When I received, I appreciated the acknowledgment & validation of my grief. When I gave, I did so out of a desire to acknowledge & validate, while being at a loss for words that felt adequate.

I guess if there were more adequate words I’d have learned them by now. In retrospect, my reaction to something said specific to the loss of a child was sort of funny & that comment was: “ I don’t know how you ever made it through something like that!”

Every time someone said that my first thought was “Wait ... I’ve made it?”

But honestly, I appreciated every attempt anyone made & hope to get similar consideration.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:14 AM

2,343 posts, read 1,739,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
People will say "I'm sorry" and IMO mean, they are sorry for your loss. I recently lost my husband and was not annoyed by anything anyone said when expressing their sympathy. More important is that they took the time to either attend the funeral, write a note, stop by and see you or phone. In other words, to show they cared about you and wanted to comfort you.
Ellwood, I am so sorry for your loss.

Serious question: was his name, by any chance, Jake? As in Jake and Ellwood?

Old 10-22-2017, 12:06 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
Yep, agree. People sometimes say "I'm sorry" from their awkwardness with the moment and they don't know what else to do or say. So simply reply with "Thank you" and move on.

If I say I'm sorry it has nothing to do with awkwardness but is a statement of empathy and validation. Why that should irritate someone is confusing to me, but so be it. I agree a simple "thank you" is all that is needed

Old 10-22-2017, 04:21 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,781 times
"I'm sorry for your loss" is what the police say on TV. Sadly, they say it in real life as well. It's formulaic and risks being strained. It mostly conveys just the notion that you couldn't come up with anything better. "I'm sorry for (or I can't imagine) what you must be going through" would be a better sort of tack to take. "Your loss" is a remote and static thing. "What you must be going through" is a present and dynamic thing. Which do you think you would you be more comforted in hearing?

Old 10-22-2017, 05:57 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
"I'm sorry for your loss" is what the police say on TV. Sadly, they say it in real life as well. It's formulaic and risks being strained. It mostly conveys just the notion that you couldn't come up with anything better. "I'm sorry for (or I can't imagine) what you must be going through" would be a better sort of tack to take. "Your loss" is a remote and static thing. "What you must be going through" is a present and dynamic thing. Which do you think you would you be more comforted in hearing?
There is nothing anyone can say that will make the situation any better. Whether you say "your loss" or "what you must be going through" is of almost no importance to the one who is in grief. People should say what they feel. If you are sorry when I meet anyone who is in pain, you should express whatever I feel. I don't think we should be struggling for which phrase is "right." A grieving person wants to know that you care. That's all.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:51 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
It doesn't flippin' matter. There's a thread about people not saying or doing anything. Something is better than nothing. Most people don't say, "I'm sorry for your loss." I know that when they say that, they can't deal with the situation or don't know what to say.

It's not a test. It's not even a quiz.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:54 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Quote:

They both convey the same message; one is not better or more comforting than the other.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:23 AM

21 posts, read 9,986 times
Sometimes people do come out with clichés - I just thank them for their kindness, and try to ignore the lack of originality.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:18 AM

1,665 posts, read 974,799 times
Just as long as they don't start saying"My Bad" for your loss.

Always have and always will say "I'm sorry..." Just something I was raised to saying. Everyone that I know around here says it at funerals and communications. I think it's one of the best ways to show empathy for someone's loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning