U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 03:48 PM

66 posts, read 38,247 times

Advertisements

like 10 years. if you tell someone that a relative or loved one passed that long ago, in context of a conversation and they reply with "I'm sorry", isn't that weird?

I never know what to say. it makes no sense. I often think they're just pitying me. it comes off as insincere. I have grown to hate these words so much. If people would say, "that must have been hard for you" that makes more sense. if it had only been a year or two, "I'm sorry" makes more sense. but when people say it YEARS after the fact, I can only perceive it as they're uncomfortable. I get it nearly every time I indulge in sharing the information that it has gotten to the point that in person I'm more mysterious because I just don't want to deal with it.

anyone else despise that response "I'm sorry" ?

What has been your experience with the public, not necessarily close friends or relatives who are most likely grieving with you, but with strangers, what do you think of it ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 06:00 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,248,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testing_waters View Post
like 10 years. if you tell someone that a relative or loved one passed that long ago, in context of a conversation and they reply with "I'm sorry", isn't that weird?

I never know what to say. it makes no sense. I often think they're just pitying me. it comes off as insincere. I have grown to hate these words so much. If people would say, "that must have been hard for you" that makes more sense. if it had only been a year or two, "I'm sorry" makes more sense. but when people say it YEARS after the fact, I can only perceive it as they're uncomfortable. I get it nearly every time I indulge in sharing the information that it has gotten to the point that in person I'm more mysterious because I just don't want to deal with it.

anyone else despise that response "I'm sorry" ?

What has been your experience with the public, not necessarily close friends or relatives who are most likely grieving with you, but with strangers, what do you think of it ?
Whether you see the expression "I'm sorry" as an attempt to be sensitive or as something irritating is completely up to the way YOU frame it. Being on the receiving end, you can choose to be offended or you can just accept the attempt and go on. If you believe that people are basically good and are doing the best they can, then I would recommend just letting it go. Several days ago I mentioned, in the course of a conversation, that my mother died 5 years ago. The other person injected "I'm sorry" and I injected "thank you" and we just continued with the conversation. Things like this don't have to bother you if you make up your mind that they won't.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:47 AM

912 posts, read 482,217 times
Yep, agree. People sometimes say "I'm sorry" from their awkwardness with the moment and they don't know what else to do or say. So simply reply with "Thank you" and move on.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:45 AM

22,706 posts, read 21,750,727 times
Seriously? What's wrong with, "I'm sorry for your loss." What do you expect people to say? You're disgusted?

Old 10-20-2017, 04:55 AM

5,706 posts, read 12,818,347 times
People will say "I'm sorry" and IMO mean, they are sorry for your loss. I recently lost my husband and was not annoyed by anything anyone said when expressing their sympathy. More important is that they took the time to either attend the funeral, write a note, stop by and see you or phone. In other words, to show they cared about you and wanted to comfort you.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:15 AM

4,840 posts, read 2,145,909 times
In varying public circumstances I often 'listen' to the level of sincerity in which it is stated. When it's a glib knee jerk social response...I leave the person alone . How it's 'stated' can be the key to accepting such a comment.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:25 AM

24,718 posts, read 59,579,994 times
Never ever go to Canada.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:08 AM

5,099 posts, read 2,915,584 times
I think it's fine. They want to express acknowledgment of your loss. People will still say that to me now, ten years after my wife died and it is OK. It was a profound and life changing event. My life has two parts -- before and after. If I respond at all (other than a nod or smile) I'll just say "thanks" and go on with the conversation. No explanation or other response is needed.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:34 AM

1,359 posts, read 652,296 times
It's just a way to acknowledge your loss, doesn't matter how long it has been.

They're being polite.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:52 AM

16,724 posts, read 13,670,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testing_waters View Post
I never know what to say.
You say, "Thank you," and continue the conversation.

It's not that big of a deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or