U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-04-2017, 07:55 PM
 
4,807 posts, read 1,358,115 times
Reputation: 4784

Advertisements

Some of you might appreciate this memoir piece about the loss of a mother:

Lessons from My Mother
By James Wood
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...from-my-mother

And although I'm not at all religious myself, I found this touching:
O Lord, support us all the day long, until the shadows lengthen and the evening comes, and the busy world is hushed, and the fever of life is over, and our work is done. Then in thy mercy grant us a safe lodging, and a holy rest, and peace at the last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-04-2017, 11:37 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
22,706 posts, read 21,760,954 times
Reputation: 27757
My mother was serious family glue. My sister and nephew and I still talk, but it'll never be the same.

I think I'm it. I don't want to be it, but I guess I am. My son, sister and nephew call me to talk on their rainy day or Monday. Like I need that. I love all of them, though, and I don't mind at all. I just like to grumble once in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2017, 06:52 PM
 
4,807 posts, read 1,358,115 times
Reputation: 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My mother was serious family glue. My sister and nephew and I still talk, but it'll never be the same. I think I'm it. I don't want to be it, but I guess I am. My son, sister and nephew call me to talk on their rainy day or Monday. Like I need that. I love all of them, though, and I don't mind at all. I just like to grumble once in a while.
I like the way the son in the article listens to someone else's appreciation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2017, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in northern Alabama
16,851 posts, read 51,316,975 times
Reputation: 27696
My mother was a teacher. She taught in one room schools, and continued in much larger ones.

I take some exception to the author of the New Yorker article. What I read in his eulogy was a cherishing of a type of striving and an expectation of excellence, and his or her vindication of that viewpoint was a response from a student who had "succeeded".

If teaching is only about the success of the few who are overly talented, then education should be destroyed. For every individual that has the wit and perseverance to excel, there are dozens of honest and capable people who don't meet those standards and yet have to make up the bulk of our society and culture.

I am proud of my mother's accomplishments as a teacher, but I am as proud that she was able to help students who had difficulties as I am of her offering challenge to those who found the subject matter too easy.

There is a divisiveness in the country that comes from the exaltation of a few, while denigrating the support and moral compass of those who might not have the adeptness of a turn of phrase, but have the solidness of having learned a good moral foundation.

In a room full of the glib and acquisitive with a copse of the less verbose and more solidly grounded oaks of society, I prefer the latter. My mother taught well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2017, 12:57 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
22,706 posts, read 21,760,954 times
Reputation: 27757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I like the way the son in the article listens to someone else's appreciation.
I heard that appreciation, and saw it before she died. She did favors for everyone that she could.

Mom was a nurse. She got permission to give injections to the woman down the street who was dying of pancreatic cancer. Probably pain medication. When I was a teen, mom made me go down there with her. It's not that I minded, but I thought that she wouldn't want strangers to see her in that condition. After all, we were all once young, and looked a lot better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2018, 03:17 PM
 
4,807 posts, read 1,358,115 times
Reputation: 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I heard that appreciation, and saw it before she died. She did favors for everyone that she could.

Mom was a nurse. She got permission to give injections to the woman down the street who was dying of pancreatic cancer. Probably pain medication. When I was a teen, mom made me go down there with her. It's not that I minded, but I thought that she wouldn't want strangers to see her in that condition. After all, we were all once young, and looked a lot better.
Sounds like your mother wanted to expose you to a boarder view of life that you would otherwise have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2018, 07:28 PM
 
Location: New York Area
13,412 posts, read 5,212,020 times
Reputation: 10758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Sounds like your mother wanted to expose you to a boarder view of life that you would otherwise have.
My mother had me go to the hospital with her to read when I was 15 to read to an ill 11 year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top