U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 06:59 PM

624 posts, read 1,286,154 times

Advertisements

Do nothing and carry on. Just because you've convinced yourself you're "falling in love" with someone doesn't mean you need to act on it.

My gggm married her brother-in-law after her husband died. It was a fairly common thing back in the "olden days," for brothers to marry their dead brother's wives. Generally, this was because a wife was considered her husband's property and if she had children and needed looking after, since the women often didn't work, the brother stepped in to take care of his kin's family as a duty.

But it's not necessary nowadays.

However, people often make the mistake of thinking that intense feelings require some kind of reaction. Not necessarily so! The feelings you've identified thusly will likely fade once you've grieved some more, healed a bit, and gotten on with your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 08:23 PM

1,366 posts, read 421,692 times
I just wanted to add that I don't think it is especially unusual. No, it doesn't happen every day, but I have known of about five cases where a marriage has occurred between members of a current or former extended family unit.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:35 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,326,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk7 View Post
I think this is more common than many realize? After the death of a loved one, a spouse is often drawn to their best friend or sibling... Has anyone else been through this and fallen in love with your deceased spouse's (or partner or best friend's) living family member? How did you navigate it?

You navigate it the same way you navigate any other romantic attraction - after you deal with the issues of "what everybody thinks about it" and get done deciding if you care about that or not.

But to me... there's nothing wrong with it.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:43 AM

2,917 posts, read 1,188,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk7 View Post
I think this is more common than many realize? After the death of a loved one, a spouse is often drawn to their best friend or sibling... Has anyone else been through this and fallen in love with your deceased spouse's (or partner or best friend's) living family member? How did you navigate it?
I have never been there, but I would imagine a fully fresh start with a brand new person would be best for the mind. Dating a best friend or someone tied close to the deceased would be like holding on to the loss. It would not be fair to you or the other person. the deceased will always be on your mind, and i guess talk and guilt would always be there as well. It would be too painful to keep healthy.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:30 PM

567 posts, read 212,844 times
I can understand how widows and widowers sometimes move on with their spouses siblings or friends. It almost happened to me.

My best friend and I married a couple of men that were best friends and lived on neighboring farms running the farms and raising our children together as one large family. After my husband and best friend passed away, her husband thought it would be a good idea if we married and continued running the farms and raising our children together. Our teenaged children thought it was a good idea too. I didnít. Although he had no trouble transitioning from a brotherly role to a husbandly role, I could not stop thinking of him as just a brother or good friend.

I ended up selling my farm and moving away. For the longest time, I felt guilty for tearing our family apart like that. But now that the children are grown and moving on with their own lives, I think itís best that he and I arenít stuck in a marriage void of romantic love. We both deserve better than that. At least thatís what I keep telling myself. But there are some lonely moments when I wonder if we could have had a real good life together even without the romance.

I imagine some of those who marry their spouses siblings do develop romantic love for one another. But I think more often than not it's just a matter of convenience and later regretted. Proceed with caution is the only advice I can offer.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:52 PM

51,240 posts, read 50,519,955 times
My ex-husband's grandfather married his brother's widow after his own alcoholic wife abandoned him and their five children. He also got the family farm back that his older brother had inherited when he married her. They had two sons and remained married until his death.

In more recent times, I worked with a woman who married the widower of her cousin, who died young ,and adopted their two small children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning