U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 05:00 PM

736 posts, read 416,448 times

Advertisements

I get these cremation ads and life insurance junk mail, started getting it when I was in my early 50s. Guess what? I don't plan on dying. No kids so who cares? Let the vultures eat me. I've had plenty of good meals, how about the birds? Sky burial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 06:14 PM

4,508 posts, read 1,980,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Because they over charge and they prey on grieving people. If a funeral has not been pre arranged it is very hard for the grieving people to think straight. The funeral business takes advantage of this...maybe not all but many.

8 Little Known Funeral Rip-offs and Consumer Counteractions | My Best Buddy Media

https://www.aarp.org/money/scams-fra...ral-fraud.html

https://www.caring.com/articles/avoi...-funeral-costs

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/a-burie...international/
You can transfer links all day long, but that doesn't make a funeral home any different than any other business. If you don't like the charge, don't pay. Funeral homes are competitive, just like any brick and mortar store. Moderator cut: deleted Prearrangement is available to everyone and has been for years. If you don't take advantage of it, how is that the funeral home's fault?

Nobody takes advantage of you unless you allow them to.
Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by harry chickpea; 02-06-2018 at 06:41 PM..

Old 02-06-2018, 07:13 PM

8,225 posts, read 7,024,466 times
Prearrangements are bought like insurance policies from companies in that business and they are sold via Funeral Homes. There are many cases of Funeral Homes not buying the policy though collecting for it. Also cases of the Funeral Home changing ownership and the policy is voided. Many policies do not come close to covering costs especially if purchased many years ago so Funeral Homes need to up-sell to cover their costs.

It is no different then many businesses just that it comes into play at a time of grief when many are not thinking of it as a business deal. It is a business deal. Think of it as such.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:17 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,288,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7gkids View Post
So sorry for your loss, shades_of_idaho. How are you doing now?
Thank you 7gkids for asking. I am doing quite well. Of course I miss my hubby but life goes on and I choose to do the best I can to make what I have left a happy time. I have lots of good memories to keep me going. Hubby died I did not and I do not think I need to make myself miserable just because he is gone. I know he would not have wanted that. I have many plans for projects for me to do this summer inside the house and outside. I feel like I really want to get all this heavy work done while I am still able to do so because I am not getting any younger. LOL I certainly can not afford to pay to have people come in and do them for me. That is IF I could find some one to work. I am at peace.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:45 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,179,176 times
My wife and I,85,will be cremated and buried in local veterans cemetery,flat stone marker for wife will be my cost.There will only be graveside service and memorial lunch.
We are prepaid at $5200 each,funeral home has handled five funerals so far.Just got yearly investment statement at two percent return,they can only stay with government,no stock market.
Not a nice thought but necessary.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:52 AM

20,514 posts, read 25,822,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
You can transfer links all day long, but that doesn't make a funeral home any different than any other business. If you don't like the charge, don't pay. Funeral homes are competitive, just like any brick and mortar store. Moderator cut: deleted Prearrangement is available to everyone and has been for years. If you don't take advantage of it, how is that the funeral home's fault?

Nobody takes advantage of you unless you allow them to.
Moderator cut: deleted

If you read some of the posts here you will see that "real" people have gotten ripped off and the prearrangement prices did not cover the expenses. The prices changed for them.

I agree that it is a business and one that I will not be part of. They fall in to the same category for me as swindler salesmen and some lawyers.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:28 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,179,176 times
I had given thought to rip off but the funeral home I am dealing with is beyond that.As said I am the tail end of family,father born 1884.
We have been associated with the town since 1922,so I am comfortable with decision,I did telephone work for this funeral home way back and I have only a few years left.They manage the veteran cemetery and adjacent cemetery where my mother and father are buried.
I would have serious reservations about what I have done otherwise,like dropping money in a black hole.
My daughter and son in law could not handle our funeral.No body left.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:33 PM

20,594 posts, read 6,874,794 times
The last casket and funeral I had was my father's back in 2005 and we kept the costs down as much as we could and it still was at least $8K.

When talking to my dad about it all as he was nearing the end, he said "I don't care where I go"...this was never discussed in the family deaths.

My cremation will cost about $700 if I should go now. Much less than Neptune.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:24 PM

8,225 posts, read 7,024,466 times
My wife willed her body to the local school of medicine. They remove the body within 2 hours of being called. One could then have a private Memorial Service. I have willed mine the same way.

Last edited by johngolf; 01-10-2019 at 12:58 PM..

Old 01-10-2019, 12:41 PM

21,986 posts, read 18,559,169 times
That's a nice thing to do, john.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning