Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 01:43 PM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times

Advertisements

My mom died at my home. The funeral people came to get her within 2 hours. She was cremated. That took a couple weeks to get her ashes back. Then we had a memorial service.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:37 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,896 times
What is the cost of delaying or cancelling the vacation as opposed to the extra days of cold storage for your mother's remains while delaying the funeral? which I assume you would pay for since the delay is to accomidate you.
Also what about inconveniencing other family members?

Old 02-14-2018, 04:36 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
But this isn't what the OP asked about. His premise was, that mom has already died, so would it be terrible if he postponed the funeral, and took a planned vacation AFTER SHE DIED.

If she HASN'T died by the time the vacation comes up, that's a different scenario, and he wasn't asking about that.

Whether he actually enjoys the vacation...that's his call. Who knows, maybe the vacation planned is someplace peaceful and quiet, and maybe it'd be just what he needed to contemplate, grieve, and recharge, for the weeks ahead.
But the mother isn't dead.

When you post a situation on City Data and ask for advice people will comment.

I and others on here find it somewhat disturbing that someone can think of leaving a dying parent.

As far as the vacation goes, the last thing you want to do is find yourself on a long flight getting to that destination and you end getting emotional on the plane(these days that could get you in trouble). These things need to be well thought out.

[quote=arwenmark;51026578]What is the cost of delaying or cancelling the vacation as opposed to the extra days of cold storage for your mother's remains while delaying the funeral? which I assume you would pay for since the delay is to accomidate you.
Also what about inconveniencing other family members?[/QUOTE]

Very good point. Are there siblings?

Having a sibling not be there by choice when the parent dies could cause a rift that might not be mended.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:35 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
We had something similar happen last year.

We decided we needed to reward ourselves with something really nice, so I did something I'd never done before: booked a last-minute cabin on a very expensive cruise. We had to pay the entire amount up front, no cancellations, no refunds.

A loved one suddenly became very ill and declined rapidly the night before we were to leave. We looked at each other and said, "No, we can't go on the cruise." He died the next day, after the ship left port.

We lost $24,000.

Did we do the right thing? I don't know. It's possible it wouldn't have made any difference to him whether or not we were there. But it made a difference to us at the time.

Cruise insurance doesn't cover a third party's death, only if something had happened to one or both of us.

OP, if you've already paid for this trip, please go on it. It was a horrible time for us, what with our two losses. It took us quite a long time to bounce back, which might have been eased somewhat if the cruise line had even bothered to find out why we didn't show up. Instead, they told our travel agent to call us. He tried to sell us another cruise.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:57 PM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Certainly not a monster to delay a funeral. But what if she is still alive when you leave? What if she dies while you are gone? Who will be there to comfort her in her last moments?

Old 02-14-2018, 06:01 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
No, you aren't a monster. Life keeps going on for the living, even when a loved one is dying.

Hospice isn't a guarantee of death at a certain time; I know a couple of women who were in hospice for a year, left it, and came back months later to die.

Would your mother want you to miss your vacation? Have you talked to her about it? Dying people often somehow postpone or speed up the end, hanging on until a certain loved one comes, or clocking off right on their birthday.

Will other people try to make you feel bad? Then they're pretty crappy human beings.

Last edited by steiconi; 02-14-2018 at 07:11 PM..

Old 02-14-2018, 07:48 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
What are you a nervous wreck over?

You're not considering postponing your vacation and assume you'll have FUN. While you say she's dying in hospice.

I don't understand this question.

Are you worried about what people might say?

We don't know any of these people but it sure will give them alot to talk about at the funeral!

Old 02-14-2018, 08:19 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Not at all. Two cousins recently passed and in each case, they buried them in a few days at a very private service, then scheduled a memorial service a month later.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:28 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
There is plenty of commentary for the OP to reflect upon. To allow the thread to remain open longer would no longer be helpful, so it is time for it to say goodnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning