U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2018, 06:11 PM

20,071 posts, read 13,744,602 times

Advertisements

No matter how bad your mother was to members of her family, that's no excuse for them to try to dump that/their baggage on you.
Not only is it in poor taste, but it's downright rude.

OP, I feel sorry for you. But I feel even more sorry for the members of the family that sound like they, too, might have inherited the same "emotional disorder" or mental illness.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 06:51 PM

3,200 posts, read 1,483,983 times
I couldn't care less if someone did this after I passed.

I, for one, do not speak ill of the dead.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:53 PM

4,832 posts, read 2,142,556 times
Just cuz it's thought doesn't mean it needs to be said. Timing is key.
Try and honor the not speaking ill of the deceased since they are no longer here to listen or confirm. But some events do not die with the departed. Perhaps a reasonable response when someone unloads about the departed is to say...may I take a rain check on this chat? Maybe in a year or two I'll be in a better frame to listen...for now this loss has my full attention. Respect that.
I've been on both sides..yet timing has kept things in check.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:00 PM

2,774 posts, read 660,956 times
I agree it's very inconsiderate and disrespectful to the person's family....or even in general.

I remember getting an early morning phone call about an uncle who had died. I had VERY bad memories about him, hadn't seen him in decades, and hadn't even heard anything about him in ages. But the aunt who called me was in tears, quite distraught. I just listened, said "well, now he's at peace". I didn't shed any tears, but I wasn't about to say "he was a no-good abusive sob, good riddance".

Old 02-19-2018, 11:21 PM

4,121 posts, read 1,535,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
OK, I guess I just needed some confirmation of that. It wasn't what I wanted to hear the same day that she passed away.
A sad way to indulge in "having the last word". Can't imagine doing such a thing to a niece, no matter when the funeral was.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:47 AM

9,098 posts, read 3,918,635 times
I'm sorry for your loss Priscilla and your relatives were completely out of line.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:23 AM

6,964 posts, read 5,183,151 times
I'm sorry you're dealing with that. No, its not appropriate. Unfortunately, in some families, especially where there's a history of mental illness, abuse, or addiction, it seems to happen sometimes.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:39 AM

20,953 posts, read 15,267,317 times
At a funeral or immediately after a death, it is poor taste. Over the longer term, I think it's important to be honest about who the person and how they lived.

My best friend committed suicide in 2013. Overall, he was a good person, but his life was marred by serious substance abuse, mental health, and work ethic issues. A few months before his death, he shot himself in the eye with rat shot. His parents paid an enormous amount of medical bills to state of the art eye surgery facility in Virginia. He then kills himself. His parents probably paid tens of thousands of dollars to save his sight, then commits suicide. There were years worth of legal issues, substance abuse problems, etc. He never worked a regular day job for more than a few weeks. He had has virtues, but also put his family through hell. I think it's important to remember both.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:10 AM

6,964 posts, read 5,183,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
At a funeral or immediately after a death, it is poor taste. Over the longer term, I think it's important to be honest about who the person and how they lived.

My best friend committed suicide in 2013. Overall, he was a good person, but his life was marred by serious substance abuse, mental health, and work ethic issues. A few months before his death, he shot himself in the eye with rat shot. His parents paid an enormous amount of medical bills to state of the art eye surgery facility in Virginia. He then kills himself. His parents probably paid tens of thousands of dollars to save his sight, then commits suicide. There were years worth of legal issues, substance abuse problems, etc. He never worked a regular day job for more than a few weeks. He had has virtues, but also put his family through hell. I think it's important to remember both.
I agree...I think that people that lionize the deceased are are just as warped.

Its one thing to say "I'm sorry" and quietly remember the guy had issues, quite another to say "he wrecked my car and stole from my medicine cabinet." And, its just as much a disservice to say, "He was a saint" when that's not the case.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:44 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 3 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,483,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
What does anyone here think about airing grievances against a person who has just passed away?

I think it is tacky and shows a lack of manners. It also shows the true character of the person doing that.

My mother and father divorced when I was very young. My mother was very bitter about it and always complained about him. He died when I was in my mid 20's. She was still complaining about him. I said "Mom he is dead...let it go"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning