Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 03:14 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Ha, I’m 77 and been to so many funerals that I have a winter and summer attire just for funerals. For me there will be no funeral, cremation, a gathering of friend and family enjoying drink and food at my house and playing ‘Spirit in the sky’ in the background.
I now understand why my aunt always had a funeral dress--I have one for each Season too!

For me also no funeral. Cremation. No gathering--just told my family to toast my life with a nice glass of Merlot. I am going to tell them to add that "Spirit of the Sky" song when they sip the Merlot! Good idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 03:21 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,655,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I now understand why my aunt always had a funeral dress--I have one for each Season too!

For me also no funeral. Cremation. No gathering--just told my family to toast my life with a nice glass of Merlot. I am going to tell them to add that "Spirit of the Sky" song when they sip the Merlot! Good idea!
I’m with you, but hopefully no just yet.

Old 05-26-2018, 03:24 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,015,976 times
Too many and at 55 I am quitting - just can't take anymore . I don't even want one for myself . 30+ that I can count right now. I have had alot of loss .
I am originally from Texas and I also have seasonal funeral attire .

Old 05-26-2018, 03:36 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Have no idea--plenty. As a child we went to a lot of them. The older generation was dying off.
I am a particular European descent (a small, strong Country), we have an entire community of people.
There is always a Wake. In many ways it is a good time--people gathering together and sharing good memories.
I come from a small town in upstate NY where of the 4 "wards" 2 were settled by the Polish (from different areas of Poland so they never quite got along) one ward was English/Irish and one Italian. I went to a Catholic church school taught by Felician nuns (and believe me, they were FIERCE!) When I was in 4th grade periodically the whole class would get pulled out around 10:30 AM to sing at some funeral mass that was celebrated in the church above the school--and we would sing in POLISH no less!

Both my parents came from large families and it seemed like every other weekend we would be attending a wake or funeral of some relative of my dad's extended family. I was once dragged to a wake on my birthday. My prize for being a good sport was a stop at the toy store on the way home to pick out anything I wanted.

Funerals don't bother me. After my nephew's wedding 2 years ago I realized that I liked funerals MUCH BETTER than weddings! The expectations at weddings are too high--I drove myself crazy trying to find the perfect dress and shoes and wound up having a miserable time anyway. I love to dance but had no one to dance with. My kids were off getting reacquainted with their cousins and my brother and SIL were too busy (understandably so) attending to their parents-of-the-groom duties. It was a big snooze fest for me.

A few months later my uncle/godfather passed away. In his honor, his family all wore navy blue because blue was his favorite color. My brother is a deacon and participated in his church service and gave the homily and the final blessing at the cemetery. Even though the mood was subdued there were a few lighter moments. To me it was more meaningful that my aunt was surrounded by those who loved her in her time of mourning and kept vigil with her during this most difficult time.

My generation is the next one up to the plate (I'm just shy of 67). It's a sobering thought--I've already lost classmates and one cousin. It'll be interesting to see how I handle death when it comes knocking on MY door.

I better buy my plot soon and start working on that mixed tape....

Old 05-26-2018, 03:41 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,929,950 times
I am 85 m0ved to horrible CT 2 1/2 years ago to be with family,there has been now 5 deaths and only 2 left older then me.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:22 PM

3,796 posts, read 2,991,840 times
Let me see on this one, there are numerous funerals I probably should have gone to, but didn't.
Overall it would be about a dozen , and only since my mid 20s. (now in my late 40s)
All my grandparents are now deceased, but parents are still alive, and some uncles and aunts etc have gone, and even a couple of cousins gone, but could not attend the funeral due to distances involved.
The death of my paternal grandmother, and my mother-in-law, were very sad for everyone involved.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:26 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,778,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murtha View Post
I have only been to 3 , two of my grandparents and my uncle
My Father (When I was 4) and my Grandmother when I was 38. Speaking of which, my Mother used her burial plot to bury my Grandmother as that she and my Father had paid $25 for each plot which one was now going for $6K....Had she bought more she'd have made bank!

Old 05-26-2018, 06:02 PM

48 posts, read 34,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Just wondering why the OP would ask this question.
Why not???

Old 05-26-2018, 06:03 PM

48 posts, read 34,382 times
3 or 4

Old 05-26-2018, 07:19 PM

801 posts, read 451,296 times
I'm very odd. I'm over 60 and never been to a funeral. Been to one "viewing" but that was by accident, something I just had to do cause I was with my dad at the time.

I did not go to any aunts, uncles, grandparents or parents funerals.

My goal is to never go to a funeral. The only one I'd go to would be my wife's. My sister is still alive as is my step-mom and half sister but everyone else is dead.

My friends know my policy. I don't "do" funerals.

Why? I think they're dumb. Sorry, but that's just my opinion.

I do grieve the people who meant something to me after they die. But just not in public, not at funerals or viewings.

I know people like me are very rare in this respect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning