U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 12:26 AM

21,657 posts, read 20,694,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Grandma's funeral must have been in the South, huhn, Gerania?
Dallas, PA. We, she, lived in Wilkes-Barre. When I moved South, I realized that it was pretty much like the North. Everyone likes their mom's or grandmother's cooking and family tradition. They had BBQ, though. I'd grown up without Q? Sad but true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 11:59 AM

20,799 posts, read 17,582,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Dallas, PA. We, she, lived in Wilkes-Barre. When I moved South, I realized that it was pretty much like the North. Everyone likes their mom's or grandmother's cooking and family tradition. They had BBQ, though. I'd grown up without Q? Sad but true.
Oh, I thought down South because I couldn't imagine an in- ground burial up North in the winter! I consider PA North but IDK what southern PA is like.

I didn't grow up with bbq either. My people just didn't do it. I was in my 30s before I had grilled hamburgers and hot dogs. Down here they LOVE BBQ! I am learning to eat it.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:03 PM

21,657 posts, read 20,694,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Oh, I thought down South because I couldn't imagine an in- ground burial up North in the winter! I consider PA North but IDK what southern PA is like.

I didn't grow up with bbq either. My people just didn't do it. I was in my 30s before I had grilled hamburgers and hot dogs. Down here they LOVE BBQ! I am learning to eat it.
It must have have been an unusually warm winter. Freezing rain was unusual.

We didn't grill until we moved to a house with a decent yard when I was 12. Mom bought the grill. Dad never took to it. We grilled dogs about twice a year.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:42 PM

4,638 posts, read 2,587,704 times
Way more than I can remember or care to. Many at the same cemetery so sort of a blur.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:02 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,212 posts, read 3,071,996 times
Default Funerals......many, many factors (IMHO) determine why some folks go to them and why some do not...

RESPECT......IMHO, that is the key word in this discussion.
Being in my 87th year, I have attended quite a few........starting with, IIRC, a friend of my family who was killed in action in WWII and a funeral was held for him with full Military honors when his body was returned to his family fairly soon after his death.
IMHO, the primary reason why I have attended a fair number of funerals in my life time , ...is out of Respect for the person who has died, and also just as important...... out of Respect for the family of the deceased.
I am well aware every situation is different........and everyone has their own reasons as to attend a particular funeral or not!
Again, ...I repeat .........RESPECT is the 'key word' in this discussion.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:11 AM

20,799 posts, read 17,582,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
RESPECT......IMHO, that is the key word in this discussion.
Being in my 87th year, I have attended quite a few........starting with, IIRC, a friend of my family who was killed in action in WWII and a funeral was held for him with full Military honors when his body was returned to his family fairly soon after his death.
IMHO, the primary reason why I have attended a fair number of funerals in my life time , ...is out of Respect for the person who has died, and also just as important...... out of Respect for the family of the deceased.
I am well aware every situation is different........and everyone has their own reasons as to attend a particular funeral or not!
Again, ...I repeat .........RESPECT is the 'key word' in this discussion.
Totally correct, Griz.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:09 AM

370 posts, read 101,741 times
My momís and dadís are the only two I remember attending. Iím 70 BTW so itís not that Iím too young to have attended others.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:11 AM

12,653 posts, read 17,000,256 times
wow I bet you I have been to 30+ funerals have lost a lot of family members and close friends . my husband used to think it was weird that I have seasonal funeral attire and I told him "hell honey you can never tell what season or time of year someone will pass , so better to be prepared " you should have seen the look on his face .I still get tickled at that . Just lost two this year already one in January to cancer could not attend funeral she decided to be buried in Nashville tn where her husband and two young sons live and probably always will . her sons are 7 and 11 .And another family friend who was 47 and died from cancer as well and she also had young children and a husband and she lives in augusta ga I went to her funeral a month ago . Can I say how much I hate cancer Ö.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:49 PM

1,084 posts, read 28,106 times
Poof, over 30 between family and friends!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or