Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 07:26 PM

369 posts, read 325,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
I'm very odd. I'm over 60 and never been to a funeral. Been to one "viewing" but that was by accident, something I just had to do cause I was with my dad at the time.

I did not go to any aunts, uncles, grandparents or parents funerals.

My goal is to never go to a funeral. The only one I'd go to would be my wife's. My sister is still alive as is my step-mom and half sister but everyone else is dead.

My friends know my policy. I don't "do" funerals.

Why? I think they're dumb. Sorry, but that's just my opinion.

I do grieve the people who meant something to me after they die. But just not in public, not at funerals or viewings.

I know people like me are very rare in this respect!
especially don't attend yours!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 07:58 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,257,513 times
At least 10, but I don’t want to think about it hard enough be certain of the number.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:05 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
6 or 7 family funerals, & about the same for informal memorial gatherings

Old 05-26-2018, 09:56 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I'm surprised at some of the people my age who have been to so few (I am 59.) I have to have gone to at least 25, 30 funerals in my life. Maybe more.

Went to one big memorial service for 84 coworkers who died the same day.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 05-26-2018 at 11:23 PM..

Old 05-26-2018, 11:14 PM

270 posts, read 210,791 times

Old 05-27-2018, 02:05 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
0 as well. I’ll be 57 next month. I’ve been to several memorials, but no funerals. Of course I can’t imagine most folks would ever say they enjoy funerals, except for that family gathering potential which some people thrive on, but for me, I can’t see any positive reason to go to one. I’ve never been formally invited to one either.

Old 05-27-2018, 03:21 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
For me, I think funerals are part of the circle of life. There is nothing negative about them. I will give an A+ to my Catholic School upbringing. When someone would die--a student's parent/nun/priest--our class would go to a funeral Mass--it was closure.

Never would I use the word thrive on the family gathering potential. I would say that when our family has a Wake--it is a celebration of the person's life. We laugh, we sing, we cry--we are there to support the family. I think it serves as a buffer between the end of life and the beginning of a new life for the survivors.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:11 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
I'm very odd. I'm over 60 and never been to a funeral. Been to one "viewing" but that was by accident, something I just had to do cause I was with my dad at the time.

I did not go to any aunts, uncles, grandparents or parents funerals.

My goal is to never go to a funeral. The only one I'd go to would be my wife's. My sister is still alive as is my step-mom and half sister but everyone else is dead.

My friends know my policy. I don't "do" funerals.

Why? I think they're dumb. Sorry, but that's just my opinion.

I do grieve the people who meant something to me after they die. But just not in public, not at funerals or viewings.

I know people like me are very rare in this respect!

I have a relative like this. She just does not do funerals. BG - when she was a young wife, a child died of crib death. She wanted the service to be very private but someone invited the whole family and they all showed up, to her great chagrin.

I think she put it well when she said, "People don't come and look at me when I am sleeping, why should they come and look at me while I am dead?"

Personally, I know a lot of my relatives have died but with few exceptions I can't remember which funerals I went to. My mom's, when I was a child. And my dad's many years later. Also a cousin who was a young adult, I was 12. My father-in-law's. Latest one was my aunt/godmother.

When my DH passed, he was cremated, later that summer we had an "ashes at sea" ceremony and a meal at a restaurant. Two of his four kids (and their families) managed to show up.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:15 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
All four of my grandparents, my parents, my wife's parents, all of my aunts and uncles, some cousins and some friends; fellow veterans and others which leaves me as the oldest with my family name. Then last year my wife of nearly 53 years passed away.

It is important to have young friends. Otherwise, when you end up in my situation you won't have anybody.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:03 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
I like funerals, if it's an old person who lived a good life. It's a strong reminder of priorities. LIVE.

Funerals for young people, and children, are horrible but IMHO those are the ones you should make yourself attend them if you are close to the family, to comfort them.

Some of the best family reunions have centered around funerals for elderly people who lived well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning