U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 09:08 PM

859 posts, read 252,112 times

Advertisements

Just took the whole day today emptying out the house with 800 got junk.

Three and a half truckloads, and I can see basically what the house looked like when my parents bought it. Completely empty.
But wow it hurts. Im forced to delete the things they amassed since they moved us there in 1978.

I have all the stuff I need to keep their memories. Video, pictures, other sentimental things.
We will be putting the house on the market soon, we have people that live on the street already trying to make deals so their relatives can come and buy the house.
The original couple we were working on backed out.
Finally started hanging up pictures of my family in my own house, and other pictures that my parents had.

This is rough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 02:13 PM

21,291 posts, read 18,066,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Just took the whole day today emptying out the house with 800 got junk.

Three and a half truckloads, and I can see basically what the house looked like when my parents bought it. Completely empty.
But wow it hurts. Im forced to delete the things they amassed since they moved us there in 1978.

I have all the stuff I need to keep their memories. Video, pictures, other sentimental things.
We will be putting the house on the market soon, we have people that live on the street already trying to make deals so their relatives can come and buy the house.
The original couple we were working on backed out.
Finally started hanging up pictures of my family in my own house, and other pictures that my parents had.

This is rough.
As long as you have the sentimental things you want, Harry, that is good news imo.

Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM

1,151 posts, read 587,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Sorry for your loss. We all go through it. But, yeah, you have to get over it. I think 95% of us that lost both parents also lost their home base. Not many people buy the house they grew up in. Pictures are all you got. You have to live in the present. You canít go home. When I go back to visit the house I grew up in, the entire street looks different. Trees are all cut down. The street is lined with cars where in the 60s an$ 70s growing up, there wasnít a car on the road because every family had just one car and the man would drive it to work. So, the streets were all clear for us to play baseball and sports in the street. But, there is nothing for me to go back to. The neighbors are all gone. That is what life is.

Once you are finished grieving your loss, you need to move on. Keep your parents in your thoughts. Thatís all the4e is from now on. Best wishes.
This hits home....so true. It is so much more than accepting your loved one's death. It is about accepting a new life for most people. I think having to leave your "home base" is so very hard. But nothing stays the same, right? People are constantly building new lives after death, divorce, illness, etc. My thoughts are with you - but once you get through this, nothing else can touch you.

Old Today, 08:44 AM

955 posts, read 663,185 times
I’m happy to hear about your progress. Pictures and moments are fine to keep but when you get to furniture, cars and houses, you gotta draw the line. Selling the house will be the final chapter. It means that you can never return to the home you grew up in again. The good news is that you should not want to. You should be happy in the life you are living now. This is the time to live your life.

I was in your situation. To this day, I still have two 13 gallon storage bins of my moms stuff. I was going to whittle it down to one but once I began, I had to abort. It got me thinking. Why do we feel the need to hang on to their stuff? Did you ever hear of either of your parents contemplating keeping all of their parents stuff when they died? Probably not. So, now that I am married with two children, I am enjoying living in the moment. This moment. Life is weird. When we were young, you had all of the older aunts and uncles and grand parents around. As time goes by, YOU will be the aunt or uncle and eventually, the grand parent. It’s life. Just a different chapter.

Once again, good luck and congratulations on your progress. Time heals.

Old Today, 11:36 AM

18,498 posts, read 6,011,292 times
This story reminds me of when my sis and I cleaned out our parents' home, where we grew up too, and my sis pushed her husband to take so many of the things she wanted, and he was not hep on the idea but hauled some stuff off to NJ to their home. Now my sister is gone and her husband is left with all the stuff that means nothing to him. Just Stuff.

Love this reminder from George:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning