U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 06:10 PM

4,482 posts, read 7,530,097 times

Advertisements

I just got word that TWO of my aunts died...one in May (& her name happened to be May) & the other just a few days ago. I didn't get to see them often, but they were still a part of my family (both on my dad's side), so it's still a sad day. They both ultimately died of cancer, but they lived to a pretty old age (90s for one & the other was at least in the late 80s if not the 90s too).

For the one who just recently passed, they're going to go out on a boat & spread her ashes in the ocean. I hope to be there, even though I have no idea these days if I'll get seasick. (I already get bouts of dizziness off & on for the last year, so we'll see.)

Anyway, I don't have much family, so I wanted to express it to someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 06:24 PM

16,468 posts, read 15,905,878 times
I am sorry for your loss.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:25 PM

21,423 posts, read 18,139,040 times
My condolences to you, Forever Blue.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:13 PM

62 posts, read 9,496 times
Thank you for sharing this......

I am so sorry for your loss

Old 08-10-2018, 07:56 AM

Thank you so very much, everyone.

I can't believe I only have 2 aunts left, one on each side of my family.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:39 AM

2,380 posts, read 6,073,907 times
I moved to CT to be closer to family and in 18 months have seen 5 pass,all in 80's.I am 85.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:35 PM

21,423 posts, read 18,139,040 times
Oh my! So sorry, DanBev. You hang in there!

Old 08-12-2018, 06:10 PM

5,577 posts, read 4,780,727 times
When I lost my last aunt it was kind of a weird feeling. I missed her but that there was no one left from the generation before me made me think, even though members of my generation have been slowly dying off over the last 35 years. Things change when the preceding generation is gone.

I am glad you have 2 aunts left. Enjoy them. I called my aunt about once a month(2000 miles away) and really miss those calls. My sister that still lived in the area took her to lunch every few weeks. Her death really hit my sister hard.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:22 AM

Going to this burial at sea will also give me the chance to see a family member (2nd cousin) who I wish we had been in contact w/ each other MUCH sooner. We're like a year or less apart. She visited my parents' house w/ her grandmother (who is my aunt who passed) about 3 yrs ago (about a year before my dad passed) & I told myself to give her a call back then, but I just never did & time zipped by so fast. I wasn't there the time they visited. I haven't seen this 2nd cousin in over a good 10-15 yrs for sure at another family member's funeral.

I really didn't want this death of her grandmother (my aunt) to spark our communication, but better late than never, right? When our older generation has passed, we'll be the only ones we have left & I think it would be nice to stay in contact & have some kind of family, even if it's just to talk on the phone every 1-3 mos.

Another cousin & I started keeping in touch 1.5 yrs ago & I'm glad we did. We've met up once so far last summer, but we take turns talking on the phone without fail monthly.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:26 AM

OP back.

So this past Sat was my aunt's burial at sea memorial service & I'm so glad I didn't miss it! Afterward, we had dinner at a very nice restaurant. There were about 35 of us.

The act itself was pretty informal. We sailed pretty far out. There was no minister or anyone like that to say anything. There was a time when we just grabbed as many flowers as we wanted to that my cousin brought & threw them out to sea. It was up to us to say our own words silently.

I didn't know most of the people there, but there were relatives I hadn't seen in either 3 OR over 15 yrs. It was lovely. I met some extended family members I've never met before. I'll probably never see them anymore again though because that's just how things go. We each have our own lives. Hopefully, though, I'll get to talk w/ occasionally or even get together w/ my 2nd cousin whose grandmother (my aunt) was the one who passed away.

Well, I have one aunt left on each of my parents' sides of the family. On the way home from that day, my mom said too bad we have to die. I feel the same way... too bad we all have to die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or