Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 05:07 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,132,655 times

Advertisements

I have been spending a great deal of time lately in planning for the future funerals of my husband and myself.
I feel it would be very useful for people who are either planning ahead or faced with dealing with the death of a loved one, to have a sub forum that would deal with various questions about funerals, cemeteries, private and National, caskets, the various laws regarding what is and is not legal in this area.

Do you think that would be possible? and/or helpful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 06:30 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
I'll move this thread to the "about the forum" forum in a couple of days, once the folks here have had a chance to consider and comment.

I would urge that any such forum NOT be a subforum of grief-mourning, as it would need to accommodate some controversy and contentiousness, such as costs, regulations that might seem at odds with wishes of a family, disputes within a family and estranged relatives, etc. G&M is unique in that ONLY supportive or statement of fact posts are generally able to pass muster and not get deleted. Someone coming here for support MUST have that safe space - Period. That compassion by posters and their willingness to skip rhetoric and divisive comments is the one hard and fast rule here. However, the forums could exist side-by-side without breaching that interdiction.

On a practical level, much of information shared in a funeral forum might be of little use to others. Fifty states with fifty sets of laws and thousands of cemeteries, each with their own rules, and services that vary according to religion and sect or regional standards makes for limited common knowledge usefulness. That is a major downside to creating a new forum.

What I think would work here is a thread where the common protocols are presented, pitfalls shown, and a general estimate of costs provided by any member who cares to share. I guess that to be useful each contributory post would start with area of the country, religious affiliation (if any), size of funeral, special considerations. Also, a separate thread on the ins and outs of military funerals and protocol could be educational for all.

What do regulars think?

Old 09-04-2018, 06:43 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,934,575 times
I am 85 and wife 82,we unfortunately had to return to Ct. our birthplace.
We have purchased thru funeral home with contract a policy to cover our expenses,$5200 each, fixed cost.No use of funeral home,only graveside.
I am veteran and town I was born in has a veteran's cemetery,no charge for headstone, provided by government,open and closing of grave covered by contract.We will be cremated and in same grave.
Our money is with a national company,no question about integrity of funeral home,they have buried 5 so far of our relations in the past 3 years.
We have all necessary document's completed.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:58 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
The OP could scroll back pages or use the search engine to look up threads pertaining to their questions. I have been here many years and I know we have had discussions about everything under the sun about all the things OP asked about.

Just a suggestion.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I am 85 and wife 82,we unfortunately had to return to Ct. our birthplace.
We have purchased thru funeral home with contract a policy to cover our expenses,$5200 each, fixed cost.No use of funeral home,only graveside.
I am veteran and town I was born in has a veteran's cemetery,no charge for headstone, provided by government,open and closing of grave covered by contract.We will be cremated and in same grave.
Our money is with a national company,no question about integrity of funeral home,they have buried 5 so far of our relations in the past 3 years.
We have all necessary document's completed.
If that veteran's cemetery is a National Cemetery then the opening and closing of the grave is Free along with the headstone and perpetual maintenance.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:57 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
I didn't know that there were different kinds. Some are state cemeteries?

Old 09-06-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I didn't know that there were different kinds. Some are state cemeteries?
Yes some are state and have different rules and qualifications. Also Arlington National Cemetery has a different qualification process altogether.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:13 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Since the thread has drifted a little and has info that fits here, I won't move it to the "about the forum" forum. If you still think an individual funeral and cemetery forum is a good idea, you can post a request in that forum directly. Given that this forum has light traffic as is, I don't see one being added.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:02 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Yes some are state and have different rules and qualifications. Also Arlington National Cemetery has a different qualification process altogether.
There are no STATE cemeteries that I know of, only National cemeteries. Each state has one. You have to be a veteran.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:12 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,518,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I'll move this thread to the "about the forum" forum in a couple of days, once the folks here have had a chance to consider and comment.

I would urge that any such forum NOT be a subforum of grief-mourning, as it would need to accommodate some controversy and contentiousness, such as costs, regulations that might seem at odds with wishes of a family, disputes within a family and estranged relatives, etc. G&M is unique in that ONLY supportive or statement of fact posts are generally able to pass muster and not get deleted. Someone coming here for support MUST have that safe space - Period. That compassion by posters and their willingness to skip rhetoric and divisive comments is the one hard and fast rule here. However, the forums could exist side-by-side without breaching that interdiction.

On a practical level, much of information shared in a funeral forum might be of little use to others. Fifty states with fifty sets of laws and thousands of cemeteries, each with their own rules, and services that vary according to religion and sect or regional standards makes for limited common knowledge usefulness. That is a major downside to creating a new forum.

What I think would work here is a thread where the common protocols are presented, pitfalls shown, and a general estimate of costs provided by any member who cares to share. I guess that to be useful each contributory post would start with area of the country, religious affiliation (if any), size of funeral, special considerations. Also, a separate thread on the ins and outs of military funerals and protocol could be educational for all.

What do regulars think?

Perhaps placed in the Retirement forum as many there are grappling with the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning