U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 09:26 PM

1,007 posts, read 561,338 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the Bargaining Stage of Grief.
..."if only I had done this or that....she'd still be alive!!
I left for work after seeing my mom laying on the couch at our family home. She had left her and my father's bedroom earlier in the night as she sometimes did if he was snoring. I came downstairs to head to work and saw her laying kinda twisted on the couch. I thought maybe I should wake her up and tell her to lie flat. I had a very very strong intuition not to wake her, to keep heading out the door for the train.
My dad found her about an hour or so later, my first call at my desk (25 mile train ride) was my dad telling me to come home right away.
The phenomenon is real. I only wish I could've saved my father from finding her but one of us had to. Life can be funny but I'm not laughing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 11:16 PM

7,967 posts, read 5,551,510 times
Just remember, no one dies a second before or a second after there is space available for them.

Not your fault

Old 12-07-2018, 07:45 PM

1,351 posts, read 863,806 times
Just remember, no one dies a second before or a second after there is space available for them.

^^^^Nicely said.
Thank you.

My mother and father both died at home. But reading everyone's comments really got my emotions going and kind of choked up.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:57 PM

58 posts, read 73,748 times
Sometimes a person views their own death like they view pooping in front of their family. They just can't do it, so they wait for privacy. The important part is you were there when they needed you most and their moment of death wasn't one of them.

You did good. Taking care of a dying person is one of the most loving things anyone can do.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:55 AM

5,560 posts, read 8,877,989 times
You have no idea how this thread has helped me. Bless you all.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:31 AM

7,270 posts, read 5,378,039 times
You should feel zero guilt for this. As has been pointed out, it isn't uncommon.

Some folks, upon departing from a party, make a grandiose exit. Others prefer the "Irish Goodbye," and slip out when no one's looking.

Consider she didn't pass at that moment because you abandoned her, but that she didn't want you to see her die.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:40 AM

166 posts, read 46,234 times
I am writing this from the exact spot where my father died 23 years ago on the day before thanksgiving. There were 6 of us here at my house and the same thing happened to us. My sister is an RN and she knew the signs that the end was very close but somehow we got distracted and suddenly he passed. My sister had been widowed a few years before on December 23 and her youngest of 3 was inconsolable, I was suddenly having complications from a surgery done a few days prior and was leaving for the ER as it all was happening. The paramedics were coming in as I was leaving and by the time I got home he had already been taken away. They all flew back home with his body for the funeral and I was bedridden so flying home was out of the question.

That was about half of the tragedies we faced that month. I wont share the rest you wouldn't believe it if I told you, it felt like the twilight zone x10.
The strength you gain in tragedy will equip you to be there for others when their lives are in turmoil, helping others is often the best way to heal.
If you have a retirement home nearby see if there is someone there you could include in your holiday celebration this year, many people no longer have family and you will be blessed more than you could imagine.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:40 PM

131 posts, read 16,692 times
I sat with my grandmother for hours in hospice. Finally I had to leave to take my teen daughter home who wasn't feeling well and my brother called that Grandma passed just 20 minutes after I left. I beat myself up for weeks even though I know Grandma would have understood why I left and would have told me herself to take my daughter home had she been lucid.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:41 PM

21,774 posts, read 18,389,663 times
Larry, coming here and talking to people in their hours of need really helped me along in my grief too.

Sorry for the Twilight Zone time.

Condolences to you, hacker.

Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM

1,555 posts, read 608,276 times
I believe that it is easier for someone to let go of the things that hold them here when they are alone. I think it takes a certain strength and willingness to detach in order to cross over. Having people around, touching you, talking to you would tend to keep you here, and not let you focus on passing, or detach enough from here to let go. Kind of like when you are just about to fall asleep and someone talks to you or touches you, so you wake up.
No one should ever feel badly if a loved one dies when they are gone from the room. If anything, it should tell you that the person loved you too much, and was not wanting to go when they were aware of your presense. They had a tight bond with you, so they couldnt let go with you there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or