U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 12:22 PM

8,283 posts, read 7,059,682 times

Advertisements

Today I went through my freezer (two door fridge) and I was amazed at how much I threw away. Some of it was "mystery" stuff. Promising myself not to stock up in the future. Next up, old high tech stuff like old hard drives, floppy drives, telephone line interface, printer cables, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 01:04 PM

22,047 posts, read 18,592,729 times
Lol at the "mystery meat"! Haven't we all done that? My late hubby and I cleaned out my dad's refrigerator and freezer. In the back of the freezer was a piece of cake and my corsage from my 1st wedding!! They were 42 years old!!!! Mom and Dad went through a couple of refrigerators in that time so they moved my stuff too! I loled and cried with the thought of them doing that. I promptly threw them away. I bet Dad didn't even remember they were in there. Maybe he did, who knows but it was such a loving thing to me. Man, I am tearing up thinking about them now.

Okay, all better now.

What a gorgeous day today. 60 with a slight breeze. Windows open for sure. Ya don't get to open windows very often in SWFL. It was 47 when I got up at 7!! A bit nippy. I closed my window before I went to sleep.

HAGD all.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:13 PM

13,001 posts, read 24,366,515 times
Hey Tami
Been busy so just stumbled across your thread. Great idea, I'm coming up on two years a widow and I like to read positive stories of moving on, doesn't mean you don't miss or still love the partner you lost but move ahead we must.

I spent Thanksgiving through New Years with the kids in NJ, yeah they were loving it, they both work, so they came home to home cooked meals oh and did I mention live in babysitter lol.

Now back in NC, the quiet right now is nice.

Daughter and I are doing a Transatlantic cruise in April so killing time checking out tours in Spain, France and Italy.

Oh and the best Christmas present was FINALLY selling that dam condo in Cape Coral FL, I HATE that place and was hoping I never had to return

Again this was a great idea

Old 01-13-2019, 09:46 PM

1,092 posts, read 650,980 times
Tami, when does it start getting really God awful hot in Florida and how long does that last? Our super hot weather usually starts in June and goes up to mid or late September. We'll have several 100+ days in July and August, although we have no humidity to speak of. I go on Google street view and "drive" around Florida. It looks so green and pretty. Our green season is December through March, sometimes stretching out through April. After that it's dry and dusty.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:36 AM

13,001 posts, read 24,366,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Tami, when does it start getting really God awful hot in Florida and how long does that last? Our super hot weather usually starts in June and goes up to mid or late September. We'll have several 100+ days in July and August, although we have no humidity to speak of. I go on Google street view and "drive" around Florida. It looks so green and pretty. Our green season is December through March, sometimes stretching out through April. After that it's dry and dusty.
Not Tami but I lived in Cape Coral. From about May through October it's brutal with July & August the worst, heat index can be over 100 degrees. Plus you have the summer rains that when they stop the humidity goes up, you can see steam coming from the sidewalks & parking lots. I once wore flip flops to Publix in the afternoon in July they about melted walking through the black top parking lot. The two years I spent there it was 88 degrees on Christmas, way too hot for me.

Jan, Feb, March, April it's nice.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:58 AM

8,283 posts, read 7,059,682 times
I cannot stand the cold which to me is below 50 and forget snow. I much prefer the heat. Here is SC the heat index hovers about 100 in July and August but easy enough to get out of. I often sit out on my screened porch with just an overhead fan running when it is in the 90's. I am in the shade, fan running, cold drink in hand so life is good.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:03 AM

Hi, nj! I am very glad you found us! It sounds like you are doing great. Glad your kiddos are a great help for you. I bet they were appreciative of Mom's home cooking and a built in babysitter! Oooh, a cruise? Sounds mahvelus!! Glad you got rid of that condo finally. Lol, you think the east coast of Florida is hot? You wouldn't believe it on the west coast here.

In answer to janellen, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for our weather anymore. I have only been here 3 years and except for the rainy season I haven't figured seasons out yet. Yesterday was 80, higher than average for this time of year. 70s is average. Today is 64. Tonight will be in the lower 40s. It's been this way since Dec. Hot, cold, hot, cold. Believe me, if I were still up in Mass, a 50 day up there, I would be no jacket! Down here, I am bundled up with jacket, hat and gloves!!!!

I also haven't noticed when the rainy season starts. I just know it is miserable. Of course me being phobic of lightning, I am not a happy camper when it comes....day after day after day. The roads flood, the canals flood, people drive as if it was dry roads when you can't even see the hood of your car!!!

BUT a day like today is simply wonderful. Mild temps, not much humidity, sunshine, can't be beat. The humidity here is wicked, even in "winter". I guess if I HAD to live somewhere other than Massachusetts, this would be it and I HAVE to live here. No other place to go.

I am having fun with my Alexa playing games with her and other humans. Lol, I am not as smart as I thought I was!!! In some categories I am smarter than the average bear but others, I dumb, dumb, dumb! Well, average. I don't like to be average.

Yay, my Patriots won and those wonderful Saints won! Thank you Drew Breese!!! Now I can go back down to the flea market this weekend and celebrate with one of the vendors and we can gang up on a couple of Eagles fan vendors!!!

HAGD everyone!!!!

Old 01-14-2019, 04:26 PM

1,092 posts, read 650,980 times
Well okay then........you guys just talked me out of Florida. I guess I'll just make like Dorothy and click my ruby slippers together while repeating: "There's no place like home...there's no place like home."

Old 01-14-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Well okay then........you guys just talked me out of Florida. I guess I'll just make like Dorothy and click my ruby slippers together while repeating: "There's no place like home...there's no place like home."
Ha, ha, janellen, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. It's the humidity that is the killer. Hot is doable but hot and muggy is for the birds. There are days I can do the same as john, sit out on the lanai with just the ceiling fan on even when it's approaching 100 and DRY but those days are far and few between. Sans drinky poo. I stayed in Nebrasks for a summer and hot??? It was dry though and not as bad as 80 and humid. So look for a place inland!!!

Old 01-14-2019, 08:13 PM

17,139 posts, read 52,311,594 times
The effect is worse on the west coast of Florida and in the central portion. On the east coast there is a mitigation. By the early afternoon the heat in the Everglades has built enough to cause that air to rise. That pulls denser and cooler air from the Atlantic over Miami Beach and the general southeast Florida area. Temperatures commonly peak at about 95 and then the hot wet Everglades air have built enough to create cooling deluges. Cooling is relative, but still makes the area more livable than other areas in the state. The area has serious other issues, but it is generally livable climate-wise once acclimated.

As far as climate is concerned, just about everything I have read indicates that San Diego is the nirvana in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or