U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 01:01 PM

22,130 posts, read 18,661,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I am one of the few northerners (Boston) who dislikes pizza. It is the food of last resort for me and when I do, thin crust is my last choice. I like thick crust and a "garbage" pizza, meaning everything on it. I can handle Mellow Mushroom when all want pizza.
Yuck, john! I had learned to eat pepper and onion only in the last 27 years when I was with my late husband. I will eat a pepperoni if I have no choice but considering the "master" of the house is Muslim, no pepperoni for us!

Where in Boston did you grow up? I lived in Stoneham the first 7 years, then my mother's drug habit forced us to move, in order to, Arlington, Medford, Beacon Hill and then Manomet, which is a "village of Plymouth " in '62 where I went to Jr High and High School.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 10:39 AM

8,356 posts, read 7,129,041 times
I was born in South Boston but when I was an infant, my parents moved to Waltham so Waltham is where I was raised and educated. After high school I joined the US Navy and spent 6 years in the Submarine Service. I came back to MA (Marlboro) long enough the get divorced from my 1st wife (had 2 children with her). Then I went on the road for a computer company and lived in many places over the next few years NYC, LA, Madrid. I moved back to Boston for a few years in the 70's (Brookline then Cambridge) where I met my 2nd wife. She was from SC and in Graduate School at BU. We married, then relocated to Ohio (I picked up a BS at Ohio State) for 6 years. Then we moved on to Chicago for 8 years. In the 80's we were "bribed by job offers" to move back to MA (Andover). I did not want to move back to MA but the offers we had were to good to refuse. In 2000 we both retired and relocated to SC. We had no children and good jobs so life was comfortable for us. She passed in 2014.

After all is said and done, while I love SC I would move back to Chicago if not for their winters and cost of living.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:39 AM

Southie boy by birth. Grew up in silicon valley of Massachusetts. I remember how 128 would change all the time with all those companies building up. Way back, I remember when it was a thrill to go to Saugus!

Today is the 7th anniversary of my hubby's death. He died at 2:30 a.m. Guess what time, on the dot, that I woke up this morning?

Today is the Patriots big game! I can't wait! Of course I will be sorely disappointed if they don't win but I am looking so forward to seeing Patrick Mahomes play against Brady. IMO Mahomes is what Brady used to be when he was young. I like the kid.

64 and cloudy and windy. Almost perfect for sitting out on the lanai, except for the wind. We had a wicked storm pass through last night. The house next door must have sprung a leak in his roof because I see him up on his roof checking shingles.

Off to start getting ready for football watching. Saints are on at 1, Pats are on at 6:40. Late night. I am rooting for the Saints.

Hagd everyone.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:58 AM

Maybe one thing we can do is guide/help others with some useful tips. No being maudlin.

A married couple has to think/plan as in what will the other do when I am gone? Once alone, be sure you are not still in the "we" thinking/acting mode. As an example. Do you still need to have that life insurance policy on yourself?

Cooking for one would be a great topic. Travelling by one's self. Do you have an I am OK procedure like you must send an IM to a family member at least once a day.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:14 AM

13,022 posts, read 24,415,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Maybe one thing we can do is guide/help others with some useful tips. No being maudlin.

A married couple has to think/plan as in what will the other do when I am gone? Once alone, be sure you are not still in the "we" thinking/acting mode. As an example. Do you still need to have that life insurance policy on yourself?

Cooking for one would be a great topic. Travelling by one's self. Do you have an I am OK procedure like you must send an IM to a family member at least once a day.
Cooking for one is a chore a big chore, it was a chore when all the kids finally left and I had to figure for just two, now a days I'm like soup and grilled cheese, peanut butter and jelly, who wants to cook for one and then eat alone?

I have not garnered up the courage to travel alone but going to have to think on that one. Went on a Baltic cruise in August and paid for one son and daughter to come, going on a trans atlantic in April and paid for my daughter to come. I'm glad we can experience it together but I also can't keep paying for them to come.
Have a house booked in Ocean City MD for the kids, grand kids and me for July, did the same thing last year in Dewey Beach De that I paid for. After Ocean City I need to find a solo travel group and venture out on my own lol
If my daughter sees I'm not on social media for a day she is calling/texting me, she can't buzz by because she is in NJ and I'm in NC

Old 01-22-2019, 04:53 PM

As I like to have a drink or two (really two) before dinner, I usually eat at home rather than risk drunk driving. I have a rule. If it cannot be prepared in 30 minutes while sipping my 2nd drink, it does not get done.

Often I will go out for a late breakfast (1 to 2pm) then eat light (soup and sandwich) for dinner about 7pm. Same with days I play golf (2-3 times a week). I eat on the way home (about 2-3pm) or eat at the club then have a light supper later on at home.

Tonight I am having a drink, sipping as we talk, than I am going for Chinese takeout which is about one mile away. I will have another drink when I get home, then eat.

Off for Chinese takeout.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:58 PM

1,104 posts, read 659,697 times
Yeah, traveling alone is hard for me even though I have an emergency alert device I wear. I need to start conquering my fears in that area. I don't have children, but I do have friends and neighbors who check on me...not everyday though. I'm not on facebook or twitter either. No close relatives........dang! I'm really really alone. I do have 6 dogs, 4 kitties, two mules and a horse. Does that count?

Old 01-23-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Yeah, traveling alone is hard for me even though I have an emergency alert device I wear. I need to start conquering my fears in that area. I don't have children, but I do have friends and neighbors who check on me...not everyday though. I'm not on facebook or twitter either. No close relatives........dang! I'm really really alone. I do have 6 dogs, 4 kitties, two mules and a horse. Does that count?
I have a few, single, older relatives that take 3-5 day bus trips as singles. They always meet new friends. Might be a good first step.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:19 AM
Status: ""I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam." -- Popeye" (set 26 days ago)

5,681 posts, read 3,215,801 times
I enjoy travelling alone, especially on Amtrak where there are people to meet and talk with. I've met the most interesting people on long train trips. I live in the west and long road trips are pretty common, probably more so than in the east. I take my time and wander places I would probably not go if I was not alone -- off the beaten path.

I like to cook but cooking for one is a challenge and I'm not a big fan of leftovers. I buy stuff to eat but then have to do salvage cooking to fix it after several days in the fridge. I salvaged several apples by making a pie this past weekend. It was great. I will make stews or soup and use things that I like (leeks, turnips, shallots, etc,) that seldom are included in prepared food. I make Posole -- you can freeze it. The food here in New Mexico is often smothered in red or green chiles -- I use less or none, which is considered sacrilege.

My big problem is house-cleaning. I don't even see cobwebs or dust until it really gets bad. I have a cat so there is that as well. I'm going to get a house-cleaner but I've been saying that for a couple years.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:05 PM

Hi, guys. I am so happy to see you guys using this thread! Yippee!

I consider your menagerie of not "being alone", janellen. You actually have the best, imo, unconditional love.

I wish I could travel by myself. I just don't have any money. Yeah, I can buy a little trinket or two sometimes but that's all and then I sometimes have to "pay" for my vanity! I think I stated this long ago but my husband got fired from his job when his cancer came back and BJ's didn't want to pay anymore on him. They found an excuse to fire the guy who the OWNER of BJ's welcomed back to work from the first time! So he lost his life insurance and his health insurance. We spent ALL our savings for medical care. He died with $3 in his wallet. I lost the house and everything we had except for what I could fit in my car.

A friend offered me a room down here in North Port so I came. I have done work to my room like putting in a new ceiling fan and carpet plus got an adjustable bed, so not looking for another place even though I can't stand it here. I have my two lovebirds though.

I do go out to eat by myself. There's an old thread here about that. There's an old thread about just everything here in the back pages.

Hope your Chinese was good, john. Lol, Suns, I can so relate to the cleaning! It may be only one room but I still have trouble getting it done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or