Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2018, 10:55 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times

Advertisements

Thank you, SunG, to you as well.

Thank goodness the goodies left over from Christmas Eve are dwindling down. I stopped being good last night after supper, I had a piece of homemade carrot cake. Oh so good. Oh so fattening. I had my one piece so I am done. Nobody around here knows the words "moderation" or "self-control".

I am hoping that I "forget" the anniversary next month of my hubby's death like I think I did last year. I sometimes forget to make note of everyone's death date some years. I wonder if that is a good thing? Not so good if I need to come up with anyone's date! Doesn't seem likely I will forget it this year. Too much crap going on in this stupid household and his date is something I can hold onto for myself. It's very weird.

What a lovely day it is being. 78° with a nice, almost stiff breeze. Have my ceiling fan on and my window open wide. Feels so good.

Have a lovely day too, everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 11:00 AM

160 posts, read 432,763 times
I think it is great to start a new thread that you feel would be more beneficial to your day to day life. However....why do you feel the need to to reference Cyn’s thread in your original post!? How hurtful to her!

Old 12-27-2018, 11:22 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l.wilson View Post
I think it is great to start a new thread that you feel would be more beneficial to your day to day life. However....why do you feel the need to to reference Cyn’s thread in your original post!? How hurtful to her!
It was not hurtful. There was a needed stated delineation between the threads.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
It was not hurtful. There was a needed stated delineation between the threads.
Correct.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:29 PM

The Echo Dot came today. Set it up, got the same results....Alexa was connected but no internet. So I realized it had not been my Echo. I went and got thec13 year old and in less than 5 minutes he had it going!!!! but . The Alexa app has bad directions. He did something different than what the directions said and voila! Connected and internet. I ordered myself another Echo. This little Dot works good but the Echo has more bass. I am listening to Garth Brooks' greatest hits now. When my new Echo comes next Thursday, I will give this Dot to the kids. Heather called to have Alexa talk to me from the Echo Linda bought off of me. Hee-hee, now we all have our own Alexas!

Old 12-28-2018, 01:00 PM

Gee, I feel bad posting in this thread when everyone is worried because cyn is MIA. That is not a good sign. They know I am worrying about her too.

My new RFID wallet came today. It's funny, I was checking out my old one comparing it to the new one, my goodness, I hadn't noticed how bedraggled it had become! All the edges worn down like leather does, including the inside of it! I never really looked at it except for getting money and cc, license out. I am glad Ben put the bug in my ear about RFID again. I heard of it quite a while ago but forgot about it. Too bad they don't make complete pocketbooks like that. Some day they probably will. Linda wants to buy Jim a men's RFID wallet now. She should, he has lots of cards and lots of info out there.

I was telling Linda how ya can change Alexa's "wake" name and how when my new Echo comes in I am trying to think of a name I want to call it. She said "Earl." I said I had thought of that but hearing a female voice would freak me out. So I am still thinking. The name Juniper came into my mind, I don't know why. IDK even where I could have learned that name. Probably since it keeps reverberating in my mind, that is what I will call her.

Ha-ha, Linda's daughter, Heather, called to tell us her and her husband's experience with their Alexa last night. Heather was telling her husband what she wanted to order from Amazon and all of a sudden Alexa says "placing your order." I better watch out for that too! "She" is listening all the time I guess. Spooky. I have read reviews of Echo that people have moved Alexa out of the bedroom!!! I think that's a little extreme!

HAGD.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:14 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
My son and I have decided to put all troubles and worries aside until after the new year. It didn't take much to convince me.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:17 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Beginning to make plans to get rid off my home phone landline. Remember, just me alone.

Presently have a TracFone with limited minutes and the more I use it, the less the plan works. While happy with them, they have no unlimited plans so I am investigating other plans. I have a Virgin Mobile account and while in my name (as I pay the bill), it is my girlfriends phone.

Virgin Mobile has a $35 per month plan with unlimited talk, unlimited text, unlimited data but after 5GB's of data usage it slows from 4G to 2G. The same plan my GF is on. I rarely use data and she says all she sees when it happens is the data is slower but there. They can port my existing cell phone number over but not my existing phone which is not a big thing. I am considering their LG K30 cell phone at $99.99 and the unlimited plan for $35 per month.

I do recommend TracFone for a limited use user. You can buy 500 minutes talk time over 60 days for $25 and unused minutes accumulate. They even have a 30 minutes for 30 day plan for $9.99. Can auto refill to a major credit card. Great system for limited use or controlling the use of others such as children.

I presently have a land line answering system with 5 wireless phones. Phones all over my house. One phone only will be quite a change.

Ideas, beliefs, and suggestions accepted.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:48 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
John, some people use the free VOIP phone number from Google as their main line. Ooma is also popular. Having a second phone number can be important, to give to doctors and credit card companies and merchants or others that may require one.

PagePlusCellular has cheap limited use plans.

I used to be tied to phones, with managers calling at all hours, and then tech support for my programs with customers doing the same. These days I rarely use voice phone, and my VOIP line is set up to fake that any incoming call is being forwarded to a random Swede. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...cted/86236504/ Let the spammers and scammers enjoy.

To limit such calls on a cell phone, ask for a phone number in a lightly populated state, like Wyoming. Scammers try to fake LOCAL numbers, so a glance at the number is a giveaway - and, low population areas are not as good pickins for scammers than places like Florida or New York, so there are fewer calls to begin with.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:01 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Beginning to make plans to get rid off my home phone landline. Remember, just me alone.

Presently have a TracFone with limited minutes and the more I use it, the less the plan works. While happy with them, they have no unlimited plans so I am investigating other plans. I have a Virgin Mobile account and while in my name (as I pay the bill), it is my girlfriends phone.

Virgin Mobile has a $35 per month plan with unlimited talk, unlimited text, unlimited data but after 5GB's of data usage it slows from 4G to 2G. The same plan my GF is on. I rarely use data and she says all she sees when it happens is the data is slower but there. They can port my existing cell phone number over but not my existing phone which is not a big thing. I am considering their LG K30 cell phone at $99.99 and the unlimited plan for $35 per month.

I do recommend TracFone for a limited use user. You can buy 500 minutes talk time over 60 days for $25 and unused minutes accumulate. They even have a 30 minutes for 30 day plan for $9.99. Can auto refill to a major credit card. Great system for limited use or controlling the use of others such as children.

I presently have a land line answering system with 5 wireless phones. Phones all over my house. One phone only will be quite a change.

Ideas, beliefs, and suggestions accepted.
We have Consumer Cellular, John. You’ll pay about $35., or less, for all the talk and data you’ll ever need.They operate off ATT or TMobile towers. You buy the phone separately, but the payment plans are very affordable.

We have thought of getting rid of our land line, but it’s bundled with our internet, so if we do, they’ll jack up the Internet, so we’d only gain about $10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning