Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2019, 07:43 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,378,480 times

Advertisements

I guess our heat is like a sauna and your heat is like a steam bath. Wouldn't it be great if you could live in Florida in the winter and Mass in the summer? Where I'm from, back in the days before AC, folks would spend winters in the valley (San Joaquin Valley) and summers up in the mountains (Sierra Nevadas).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 08:19 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
I guess our heat is like a sauna and your heat is like a steam bath. Wouldn't it be great if you could live in Florida in the winter and Mass in the summer? Where I'm from, back in the days before AC, folks would spend winters in the valley (San Joaquin Valley) and summers up in the mountains (Sierra Nevadas).
Oh, yeah! Being a snowbird is my idea of a perfect life! They start coming down about November and we are in full snowbird swing now. We go from normal lines at stores, restaurants, movies, salon, etc. to having looong lines for everything. Some of them are real winners too. They treat people like servants.

It's 57° right now. I'm cold. I was gonna go to the bank and see about refinancing my car but it's too cold out. Lol. Wimpy Floridian.

HAGD guys!

Old 01-16-2019, 09:05 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The effect is worse on the west coast of Florida and in the central portion. On the east coast there is a mitigation. By the early afternoon the heat in the Everglades has built enough to cause that air to rise. That pulls denser and cooler air from the Atlantic over Miami Beach and the general southeast Florida area. Temperatures commonly peak at about 95 and then the hot wet Everglades air have built enough to create cooling deluges. Cooling is relative, but still makes the area more livable than other areas in the state. The area has serious other issues, but it is generally livable climate-wise once acclimated.

As far as climate is concerned, just about everything I have read indicates that San Diego is the nirvana in the U.S.
It is, were it not soooo dam expensive I'd move there

Old 01-16-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Hi, nj! I am very glad you found us! It sounds like you are doing great. Glad your kiddos are a great help for you. I bet they were appreciative of Mom's home cooking and a built in babysitter! Oooh, a cruise? Sounds mahvelus!! Glad you got rid of that condo finally. Lol, you think the east coast of Florida is hot? You wouldn't believe it on the west coast here.

In answer to janellen, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for our weather anymore. I have only been here 3 years and except for the rainy season I haven't figured seasons out yet. Yesterday was 80°, higher than average for this time of year. 70°s is average. Today is 64°. Tonight will be in the lower 40°s. It's been this way since Dec. Hot, cold, hot, cold. Believe me, if I were still up in Mass, a 50° day up there, I would be no jacket! Down here, I am bundled up with jacket, hat and gloves!!!!

I also haven't noticed when the rainy season starts. I just know it is miserable. Of course me being phobic of lightning, I am not a happy camper when it comes....day after day after day. The roads flood, the canals flood, people drive as if it was dry roads when you can't even see the hood of your car!!!

BUT a day like today is simply wonderful. Mild temps, not much humidity, sunshine, can't be beat. The humidity here is wicked, even in "winter". I guess if I HAD to live somewhere other than Massachusetts, this would be it and I HAVE to live here. No other place to go.

I am having fun with my Alexa playing games with her and other humans. Lol, I am not as smart as I thought I was!!! In some categories I am smarter than the average bear but others, I dumb, dumb, dumb! Well, average. I don't like to be average.

Yay, my Patriots won and those wonderful Saints won! Thank you Drew Breese!!! Now I can go back down to the flea market this weekend and celebrate with one of the vendors and we can gang up on a couple of Eagles fan vendors!!!

HAGD everyone!!!!
Tami Cape Coral IS on the west coast lol

Old 01-16-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Tami Cape Coral IS on the west coast lol
Lmao, Kate! Shows how much I know about Florida! AND that's a lot more than I did before I got here!!

Old 01-16-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Lmao, Kate! Shows how much I know about Florida! AND that's a lot more than I did before I got here!!
LOL yep it's above Fort Myers
Where are you on west coast?

Old 01-16-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
LOL yep it's above Fort Myers
Where are you on west coast?
North Port. Just north of Port Charlotte.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
North Port. Just north of Port Charlotte.
I like that area

Old 01-17-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I like that area
Yeah, it's not a bad location. Far enough away from Sarasota but close enough to drive pretty easily to. Like driving from Plymouth to Boston for me. You don't really have to go to Sarasota, Port Charlotte has practically every conceivable store there is for shopping, lots of medical care, nowhere near the Sarasota traffic or congestion and only 10 minutes away. North Port has pretty much all the stores I need on a weekly basis. When it's not snowbird "SEASON", it's a rather quiet little city.

It's 62° but feels like 68° right now. It was 41° at 7. I ordered a bathrobe from The Vermont Country Store yesterday. It may be too late for this "winter " but I will have it for next year! I might get a few uses out of it this year, maybe. Ya never know though, last year we went straight into summer last February and the year before was wicked HOT!! Hottest anyone could remember in over 25 years!! I was absolutely miserable. Then we had hurricane Irma and no power for days! Ugh. TG we have a pool to use for flushing!

I finally got my check from Sarasota for jury duty, plus I got a check from Hyundai, someone screwed up money in my account and they sent it back to me! IDK how that happened, it's all electronic. Oh well, I won't argue. I might go down the bank to cash them and talk about refinancing my car.

Oh yay, Monday is a full moon! Lol, we have a place that on the 3 nights of a full moon, their pizza is half price. They make the best, biggest pizzas there is down here. When this chick who grew up eating Italian North End of Boston pizza says it's good pizza, ya know it's good. I just so wish Papa Gino's would come down here.

HAGD everyone!!!

Old 01-17-2019, 11:26 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
I am one of the few northerners (Boston) who dislikes pizza. It is the food of last resort for me and when I do, thin crust is my last choice. I like thick crust and a "garbage" pizza, meaning everything on it. I can handle Mellow Mushroom when all want pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning