U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 01:58 PM

21,794 posts, read 18,401,188 times

Advertisements

I realized I really don't want to gab in the day by day thread, it is basically cyn's thread and what with HER health problems I decided today I wanted to make a thread for men and women who are widowed but doing better.

I am not totally depressed all the time, do sometimes want to share little things I do or feel but have no place to talk about them. I am sure there might be others out there who may feel the same way? If not, oh well, I will talk to myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 02:33 PM

Default Here goes...

It's chilly here, only 61°. Average is mid-high 70s°.

Bought myself a present the other day, a gold rope chain. I sold and lost everything I had up home in Massachusetts before having to come down here. I live month to month on my SS and had a few bucks extra this month.

After checking out the cheapest couple of places I could think of, Wal-Mart and Goodwill, I decided to go try a pawn shop! Wth, I know I sold very good stuff to one up home! Selling, you get peanuts for your stuff but thought maybe I could find a bargain. Goodwill was too expensive! $399 for super thin gold chains!

I found a 14k 18" gold rope for $195. I said I would take it and the guy only charged me $140!!! Good deal! I feel more like myself with a little bit of real gold around my neck now.

Diamonds are my birthstone but pawned all I had. Last year I bought a fake art-deco ring in sterling silver for $49 and people keep complimenting it. A friend said it was gorgeous and so what if they are lab created? They are perfect, real diamonds are not. He is so right! So I can now stop my yearning for a real diamond. Next on my list, a couple of pair of gold snuggles for the two holes in each ear. Because of my MS, I have a very hard time with getting jewelry on and off. So I will put them in and leave them. I used to so love wearing junk earring for all the holidays! I am blessed not to have allergies to metals.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:12 PM

9,648 posts, read 7,539,536 times
Help me understand. Unfortunately, loss is a part of life. Why are folks taking it on as an identity?

You bought yourself some jewelry. Why not post that in the shopping forum?

Old 12-10-2018, 08:05 PM

1,049 posts, read 629,333 times
Tami, I've kept up with a lot of your posts and I was wondering why you stay living in that place where you're so unhappy? Does Florida not have subsidized housing for folks who are in your condition and age? I'm in California and there are lots of seniors here that are living solely on their SS that are getting pretty decent subsidized apartments. There's a poster here that has made an art of living on a very small amount of her SS. Her handle is NoMoreSnowForMe. You might want to contact her regarding how to get into your own place cheaply. She used to be a manager for apartment complexes in her working days. I think you would be so much happier living on your own without roommates Check out some of her posts. She's a pretty sharp cookie.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:07 PM

1,049 posts, read 629,333 times
Almost forgot, how did your lung test come out?

Old 12-10-2018, 09:50 PM

23,154 posts, read 22,185,078 times
I read Other Topics regularly. Some other forums have an off topic or chat thread.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Almost forgot, how did your lung test come out?
No news is good news. Thanks for asking anda thank forma trilingüe me about NoSnow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I read Other Topics regularly. Some other forums have an off topic or chat thread.
I will check out different forums, ty, Gerania. I feel too comfortable here I guess. I like to be around others I have something in common with and that happens to be my widowhood. No one other than another widow(er) can understand. That is just a fact of life.

So anyhow, I see my "experiment " is a flop.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Help me understand. Unfortunately, loss is a part of life. Why are folks taking it on as an identity?

You bought yourself some jewelry. Why not post that in the shopping forum?
Hmmm, where do I start?

1) It is none of your business.
2) I don't owe you an explanation of anything.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:40 AM

1,355 posts, read 865,092 times
So anyhow, I see my "experiment " is a flop. post#7

Don't stop! Your idea will catch on....

I'm not a widow, altho my ex-husband did pass away a couple of years ago...long after we divorced, but it still just abt killed me too. He was only 56.

Peace.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:48 PM

1,705 posts, read 2,031,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I like to be around others I have something in common with and that happens to be my widowhood. No one other than another widow(er) can understand. That is just a fact of life.

This is very true. Sometimes, I make it for two hours without thinking about my dead husband and that's a "good day." People say, "Oh, you need to move on" but his absence, my solitude, and the way he went out of this world are a rough combination, and unless you've been through it, you can't imagine the wake of pain it leaves behind.

So then I come to this forum to try and "reach out" and learn new things and read fun stuff, and then I discover that there are a handful of posters here at CD that are just vicious, mean-spirited folks who apparently never heard, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

And then I decide that maybe it's time to abandon City-Data. And then I find posts from like-minded souls and kind-hearted people and fellow widows/widowers and feel encouraged and understood and supported.

I guess my question - as a widow - is why are some people just so mean-spirited? Some of these posts are so ugly and I KNOW that these people would never say this stuff to another human being in person. So why do they do it while hiding behind anonymity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or