U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2018, 10:36 AM

310 posts, read 96,459 times

Advertisements

I'm writing a condolence card for a distant family member who lost her adult child suddenly. I have the first part of the card written. I wrote about the son and how I remember him being but now I'm stuck. This family was big into laughter so my last line is speaking to how he made people laugh and he really was talented in a very admirable way with being able to keep people smiling.

After the memory I'd usually say I'm there and offer to help with household things etc but this relative is not nearby. I rarely see them and we never call each other. This is a distant family member both in location and our familiarity so offering to talk would be out of place.

I'm not sure how to close the card out. I feel that having a last line of he always made people laugh and then saying sincerly__our names__ would be too unfeeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 11:47 AM

19,376 posts, read 4,040,074 times
I'd close with a "thinking of you" or "wishing you peace"...

Like your idea of also giving a nod to his positive attributes.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:44 PM

21,805 posts, read 18,416,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

This^^^^^^^^^^^. ,gbh.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:56 PM

15,722 posts, read 9,750,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

yup=this sounds good to me too.

To be honest, I think the 1st part of the card will be remember more. As long as it's sincere and kind, it won't be wrong.

Old Today, 01:49 AM

310 posts, read 96,459 times
Thank you all for making me feel more at ease. I did end up going with my gut. I always feel like there is no card that can make someone feel better after losing a child. Hopefully she smiled at least inside when I wrote my anecdote about how he was making people happy.

Old Today, 10:49 AM

21,805 posts, read 18,416,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndCatsForAll View Post
Thank you all for making me feel more at ease. I did end up going with my gut. I always feel like there is no card that can make someone feel better after losing a child. Hopefully she smiled at least inside when I wrote my anecdote about how he was making people happy.
Good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or