U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 10:18 PM

1,481 posts, read 519,026 times

Advertisements

ashes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inubkn_TmUs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 10:31 PM

52,598 posts, read 51,715,392 times
I had lunch with my ex-husband and our daughter a few months ago. My ex told me that a friend of his whom I had known had died unexpectedly and he had attended the funeral and graveside service. He then said that he has already told our daughter that he wants to be cremated and ashes thrown in the ocean. I said I wanted the same. My daughter then said, "Well, I am going to wait until both of you are dead because I get seasick and I only want to go out to throw the ashes once. But in the meantime, I'm going to take out a little bit of both of you and mix them together."

At the same time, my ex and I yelled, "Nooooooo....!"

Old 01-05-2019, 10:52 PM

8,203 posts, read 5,644,378 times
MrsM and I already have our cemetery plots and funerals paid for and planed.

Just plant us under the tree at the end of the cemetery road..That's it!

Old 01-05-2019, 10:58 PM

20,423 posts, read 6,789,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I still have my late husband's remains, and I had given some of them to his parents. I too talked to him for a couple years. I have a cat, a dog.....

Not exactly a hobby I planned on... collecting remains.
I don't consider it a hobby, it's a reality and common sense issue in life and more so in these days.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Their physical remains are in the ground, but I believe their souls are with God.

If I put an urn in a low spot, I would be fairly certain the kitten would somehow find a way to get inside. She's persistent, that one. She has figured out how to open drawers and doors. She can get herself into any box, open or closed. I frequently come home to drawers of my dresser opened and all the contents (underwear, socks, tshirts) pulled out and on the floor. She knows exactly how to jump to manipulate the handles of my sons' bedroom doors and open them. She knows how to push her paws under the French doors and force them open.
Well, clearly it's not for you.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Cost is only one factor. I'm not sure I could keep the remains. IMO, burying the deceased or spreading the the ashes, interment, etc., is a step in the process of moving on. I personally like having a burial plot with a headstone so I know where to go visit. As a part of the living, I need to forge forward and continue to search for my happiness. I think keeping myself surrounded by cremains wouldn't allow that as easily.
ummm, I look at my parent's pictures every day and don't dwell on them being gone. It was there time to leave. My little nephew was only 5 and I don't have a picture but see him in my mind at 5 yrs old.

As far as visiting the graves, all my relatives are back East and no one visits the graves anymore. Maybe one cousin but I even doubt that. Everyone is scattered. We all have our thoughts about this issue. One thing about life that is certain, it's change.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:54 PM

5,159 posts, read 2,327,417 times
I have thus far:

(2) Remains (Cremins)
of our Family pet Buffy...lovely dog ....
and the Remains of My Mother.

Both are on a Old Dry Sink...well appointed ...stately. the Urns are rather commemorative.

When I pass by the remains ...I often nod solemnly.......Its sort of my way of letting them know I haven't forgotten about them....

MY SIL chastised me ...early in our family grief for Cremating my mom...and I vacillate on that...I do see and understand her faith point of view.....So there are moments where I feel guilt.....

Old Yesterday, 03:29 AM

7,686 posts, read 2,428,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Their physical remains are in the ground, but I believe their souls are with God.

If I put an urn in a low spot, I would be fairly certain the kitten would somehow find a way to get inside. She's persistent, that one. She has figured out how to open drawers and doors. She can get herself into any box, open or closed. I frequently come home to drawers of my dresser opened and all the contents (underwear, socks, tshirts) pulled out and on the floor. She knows exactly how to jump to manipulate the handles of my sons' bedroom doors and open them. She knows how to push her paws under the French doors and force them open.

I had a cat who delighted in unrolling all the paper towels and toilet paper. When she was in the house, I had to make sure the bathroom door was latched and the towel roll was put inside a heavy drawer. But she may have been a magician, as she had a secret way of getting into the house, when it was shut tight and I never could discover how. Many times I woke up in the middle of the night and she was curled up sleeping on top of me. Once, she caught a mountain beaver that was as large as she was, brought it inside through her secret passageway and was eating it on my bare chest when I woke. Its guts were all over me and it stunk worse than anything I've ever known. The smell was the first thing that penetrated my sleep, then the crunching sound and finally, the big weight.

Old Yesterday, 04:37 AM

29,876 posts, read 32,403,910 times
Visiting graves isn't really a thing I want to do. I did it as a child, my parents took me, so I understand what it entails. The only time I've done it as an adult was when I went to a cemetery for a burial, a lot of my family is in that particular place so we wandered a bit and found the headstones of relatives I knew and some that I didn't but have been told about. I want my ashes scattered somewhere but once I'm gone my survivors can do whatever makes them happy. The problem with keeping remains is that once you're gone, and nobody is left to care, they may end up in a dumpster somewhere. Most of the stuff we hang on to will end up in a dumpster somewhere once we die.

Old Yesterday, 06:02 AM

321 posts, read 77,427 times
I want to be stuffed by a taxidermist and stuck in the attic of my house, covered with insulation where no one will find me. If I can't take it with me, then I'm not going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or