U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 08:39 AM

835 posts, read 239,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Just a note to mention that, while you can take cremation ashes on an airplane, they are viewed by the TSA with suspicion. When my son and I traveled to take ashes to their last resting place, he carried them (they are heavy) in his backpack. He was taken out for special searching each time we went through airport security, while I was often whisked through, and had to wait for him. They often had him take every item out of his backpack, lots of searches, drug searches, pat downs, etc. The ashes were labeled and we had a certificate from the funeral home, but that didn't seem to make a difference. I'm still not sure why ashes are treated as so suspicious.
I've been OK so far- I have a small Gold Bond Medicated Powder bottle and take some of DH's ashes in that. I've done that with checked bags and in carry-on and no problems so far. It's a subtle joke- DH used Gold Bond when he was alive- and it's an opaque container and unless you look closely, it might actually resemble GB powder. If they ever confiscated them at an airport I think DH, who has endured many airport security gates with me, would be up there laughing.

I can see where the entire container would be more of a concern- it's heavy and there's a lot of it and the TSA probably gets more concerned about large quantities of anything unusual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM

341 posts, read 85,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I have my son's ashes and a photo from the last time I saw him alive, beside my bed.
You have my condolences, Sir, seeing one of your children pass before you is not how the world is supposed to work.

Old Today, 06:48 AM

9,420 posts, read 4,210,152 times
My son was telling us about some ecologically friendly way of burying people where they plant a tree above your remains. I will have to check into that. I have my husband's ashes on my entertainment center along with the flag I was given in a shadow box from the military when he died. I could probably have his remains placed in a military cemetery and will probably check into that also.

Old Today, 10:42 AM

21,986 posts, read 18,554,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My son was telling us about some ecologically friendly way of burying people where they plant a tree above your remains. I will have to check into that. I have my husband's ashes on my entertainment center along with the flag I was given in a shadow box from the military when he died. I could probably have his remains placed in a military cemetery and will probably check into that also.
chiluvr, yes, of course you can bury your husband in a military cemetery. There is one in Sarasota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or