U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 04:41 PM

4,347 posts, read 2,306,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm a cemetery buff, and I can't tell you how many gravestones bear the epitaph, "Gone But Not Forgotten", and they are completely overgrown with weeds. Gone, indeed, and forgotten.
How old are the gravesites? Perhaps they were, indeed, not forgotten when they died and people were grieving, but years or months later those that grieved may have moved away, grown too feeble to visit, or have died themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 05:53 PM

400 posts, read 125,059 times
In addition to my name, date of birth and date of death I am having written on my headstone.... "I have nothing more to say"

Unfortunately I have lost family members and many other relatives and friends etc so I spend much time each week at 3 different cemeteries....and by doing so I have realized it is a place of peace for me and for my soul...what was once much sorrow is now a feeling of love and peace when I go to each grave...

And I found myself spending days there as I walk looking at each headstone and so many I knew or knew of their families and many no longer have any flowers due to remaining members have moved away....so I place flowers on graves that look like they haven't had any flowers in ages.....even artificial flowers will work and are better than no flowers...

And I go each week year round as I always had me a winter 4 wheel drive vehicle....so when the cemetery was off limits to most vehicles due to deep snow I would blast down the cemetery roads and still visit each grave....and place wreaths for others on grave stones...

Here'a a couple of older photos...showing how peaceful the cemetery can be for ones soul....I knew the family where the cat is at but i only saw that cat once so I think he was just resting....and that is my old 1996 Jeep Cherokee in one pic that would blast through anything.....I sold it a year ago and have yet to replace it..

I am at 3 cemeteries at least 3x's a week and if i ever go when I am having the blues being there with loved ones chases those blues away the moment I enter the cemetery ....a place that was once for crying has become a place for a heart and soul at peace and both filled with much love for those who have departed this wonderful planet.
Attached Thumbnails
Miss Me - But Let Me Go-cemetery4mothersday_2013.jpg   Miss Me - But Let Me Go-cem2jan28_09.jpg   Miss Me - But Let Me Go-cem_jan28_09.jpg   Miss Me - But Let Me Go-cemetaryfeb21_2011.jpg   Miss Me - But Let Me Go-cemetery-jeep-jan-2013.jpg  

Miss Me - But Let Me Go-cat_cemetery_june10_2011.jpg  

Old 01-12-2019, 08:43 PM

32,599 posts, read 9,636,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I found this lovely poem some yrs ago and have used it fairly often. I thought I had posted it here, but I don't find it.

Miss Me But Let Me Go!

You were right. You just posted it a couple of days ago in Curmudgeon's thread.

It's a nice sentiment.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:08 AM

22,070 posts, read 18,623,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
You were right. You just posted it a couple of days ago in Curmudgeon's thread.

It's a nice sentiment.
That poem was posted years ago by No Kudzo, I do believe, after my hubby first died. Although it took me years, I finally was able to understand and feel the words. It helped me immensely.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:27 PM
Status: "I will never forget you Shawn, you are greatly missed." (set 4 days ago)

10,467 posts, read 12,717,636 times
I just lost my childhood close friend of 35 plus years last week. It's been rough. I sure wont be forgetting him, keeping in touch with his family too. Through the sadness I had a few chuckles thinking of the crazy things we did when young.

2 days ago I had a water bottle leak from my bag. It looked like I wet my pants. Had he been with me, he would have not only laughed but pointed it out to anyone within an earshot. We had that wacky childlike connection even as adults. He was the big brother I never got from my own family. Can't forget that ever.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:38 PM

1,056 posts, read 498,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY 915 View Post
In addition to my name, date of birth and date of death I am having written on my headstone.... "I have nothing more to say"

Unfortunately I have lost family members and many other relatives and friends etc so I spend much time each week at 3 different cemeteries....and by doing so I have realized it is a place of peace for me and for my soul...what was once much sorrow is now a feeling of love and peace when I go to each grave...

And I found myself spending days there as I walk looking at each headstone and so many I knew or knew of their families and many no longer have any flowers due to remaining members have moved away....so I place flowers on graves that look like they haven't had any flowers in ages.....even artificial flowers will work and are better than no flowers...

And I go each week year round as I always had me a winter 4 wheel drive vehicle....so when the cemetery was off limits to most vehicles due to deep snow I would blast down the cemetery roads and still visit each grave....and place wreaths for others on grave stones...

Here'a a couple of older photos...showing how peaceful the cemetery can be for ones soul....I knew the family where the cat is at but i only saw that cat once so I think he was just resting....and that is my old 1996 Jeep Cherokee in one pic that would blast through anything.....I sold it a year ago and have yet to replace it..

I am at 3 cemeteries at least 3x's a week and if i ever go when I am having the blues being there with loved ones chases those blues away the moment I enter the cemetery ....a place that was once for crying has become a place for a heart and soul at peace and both filled with much love for those who have departed this wonderful planet.
Im glad you found a peaceful place to go. Im not sure of how I view the after life but I do believe (I think anyway) that there are souls conscious of present life. If this is true Im sure theyre happy with you.

Old Today, 02:25 PM

257 posts, read 47,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
How old are the gravesites? Perhaps they were, indeed, not forgotten when they died and people were grieving, but years or months later those that grieved may have moved away, grown too feeble to visit, or have died themselves.
true..at some point, unless you are famous, we are all forgotten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or