U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 07:50 PM

9,434 posts, read 6,600,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Big Roller Developers!!! And they don't develop for the less thans with lower funds, they go after the mega million dollar people.

I liked so much about the story I posted but mostly that the homeless man was buried with some dignity and honor.
Even if the bagpiper played for the septic tank instead of for him.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:21 AM

22,057 posts, read 18,600,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Even if the bagpiper played for the septic tank instead of for him.
Lmao again, Travel!! It was the thought that counted I'm sure!

Old 01-24-2019, 12:01 PM

9,434 posts, read 6,600,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Lmao again, Travel!! It was the thought that counted I'm sure!
That's for sure! And I'm still laughing at that story, have filed it in what passes for my brain to tell my mother, and anyone else I think would like it.

Whenever the topic of bagpipes comes up (not that often, really), I always think of my favorite bagpipe story. This one is not a joke, it really happened, though the part I think is funny comes from my own twisted perspective on life, ie, life's little incongruities, which have always tickled my funny bone to no end.

My husband was an auxiliary trooper with the Florida Highway Patrol for many years-this was a volunteer position, not his regular job. We were attending an awards banquet at a hotel one time, and one of the (entertainment, I suppose) features was a series of tunes on a bagpipe by one of the FHP troopers, in tribute, I suppose, to go along with the Attaboy Certificates handed out to any number of people. Well, this bagpiper's getup almost made me snort coffee out my nose when he came in the room till I got a grip. He had the FHP uniform shirt with his trooper hat, badges and all, but instead of the uniform trousers he was wearing kilts! Ooooo-kkkkkk.....lll

Well, then he began playing the bagpipes, and he did a reasonable job, I think. But as much as I like bagpipe music (and I do, really, at least to a point), I've always thought that its charms were best appreciated when it was played for reasonably brief interludes, who wants to hear bagpipe music for hours on end?

But this bagpipe player apparently didn't get the message about the beauty of bagpipe music best appreciated when it's brief, or he intended to play his entire repertoire to this audience. So he played, on and on and on and on, and I could see any number of guests figiting around, and silently praying that the guy would run out of air, music or just "please G-d let it end"

Well, finally it did, and it was then that we heard, from the ballroom next to the one we were in, a Bar Mitzvah in progress-not the party yet, it was the Bar Mitzvah service. The soundproofing between the rooms wasn't great, we could hear them clearly and all I could imagine was this solemn celebration of a young man coming of age and assuming his adult responsibilities as Jew, accompanied by bagpipe renditions of "Danny Boy", "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling", "I"ll Take You Home Again, Kathleen", and anything else this guy came up with.......

Old 01-24-2019, 12:09 PM

O M G, Travel, my sides are hurting! 🤣🤣

Old 01-24-2019, 02:16 PM

17,147 posts, read 52,332,161 times
Although funny and a bit of comic relief, please remember that this is not the bagpipe forum or random joke forum. If you want to continue something like this in tami's "lighter" thread, that is fine. Thanks.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:09 PM

23,557 posts, read 22,530,867 times
You play the pipes? Spectacular. I've been to a funeral where someone played. Since my great grandfather, grandfather, dad, brother, cousin, and nephew are all named Dan, can you guess what was played?

Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You play the pipes? Spectacular. I've been to a funeral where someone played. Since my great grandfather, grandfather, dad, brother, cousin, and nephew are all named Dan, can you guess what was played?
Ummmmmmm........

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning