Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 12:09 PM

561 posts, read 324,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Yes - but it’s difficult to answer when meeting people or in passing - because the next question is how old is she,etc. - and so it makes for a difficult discussion to ‘explain’. So I end up trying to avoid the question - and in casual situations, I have found myself just saying no (rather than explain my loss to a store clerk, for example, who is just making small talk.)
I'm so sorry for your loss.

My husband lost a daughter at age 3 before we were together but he also has 2 living children that have been in my life since they were little so I consider ALL his kids as our kids even thought I do not for a second pretend to know what it's like to lose a child. My point of that whole explanation is just that when people ask how many kids I/we have the answer truly depends on the asker and the context of the question. If someone is just making small talk then I think it's perfectly acceptable to say no. In my opinion it's not denying her existence so much as it is preserving your peace of mind at the moment. It would also be acceptable to say that you are but you'd just rather not talk about it. Unless they are a complete ass they aren't going to push farther and if they are then they deserve stony silence. Either answer doesn't negate her existance or the fact that you are indeed a father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 12:32 PM

561 posts, read 324,267 times
Quote:
No, as I mentioned in previous posts - I am no longer with my baby’s mother. That’s why it makes it difficult to finally open up about it two years later. At the time, I was trying to be strong and support her - but since the relationship has dissolved, I’m not in a place to contact her now and expect emotional support. I’ve recently met someone who has encouraged me to get to this point - to open up and share it. She is great, but she has never experienced it herself - and I know she struggles with what to say. She has suggested counseling or some type of group - even if it’s a few times. I’m certainly open to that.
As I said above my husband lost a child before I met him. We have a little cake on her birthday to acknowledge the day and on the day she died I try to let him know in some way that I realize what day it is and it's significance. It's very hard to know what to say. I know my husband appreciates that I try but I also know, even now 20 years later, he finds it more helpful to talk to other parents that have been through loss.

Old 02-01-2019, 12:59 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
C. Cowboy, I hope it has been a little helpful to be on this board, to get all this input from others. I do really believe in supports groups, if they are run well. Sometimes you have to shop. I have been in two really good groups (several years apart.) Early on, I tried another group, but it was really not for me, and I didn't go back. That can happen. I hope you will be persistent in getting the support you need for working through this. Unaddressed grief can be a weight that will drag down your whole life, if you let it. We have to take the time and have the courage to process, to face the grief head-on.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:05 AM

8,662 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
C. Cowboy, I hope it has been a little helpful to be on this board, to get all this input from others. I do really believe in supports groups, if they are run well. Sometimes you have to shop. I have been in two really good groups (several years apart.) Early on, I tried another group, but it was really not for me, and I didn't go back. That can happen. I hope you will be persistent in getting the support you need for working through this. Unaddressed grief can be a weight that will drag down your whole life, if you let it. We have to take the time and have the courage to process, to face the grief head-on.
Thanks GG - it actually has been very helpful to put it out there, even more so than I anticipated. I received a lot of thoughtful and very helpful responses - by posts and messages. I really appreciate all of you who replied. I’m a firm believer in communication in all other areas of my life - and yet, I had a hard time putting it into words (and tended to avoid the subject). Once I finally did, the prospect of discussing it more seems a little easier.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:19 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
I am sorry for your loss, too. In my situation, she did give birth - but had multiple complications (which started in her pregnancy). The hardest part is when people I meet ask if I’m a Dad. I never know how to answer that - without a lot of questions or confusion.
So sorry for your loss. Yes, you are a dad!! Don’t rob yourself of that title...you’re a dad to a beautiful angel

Old 02-01-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
So sorry for your loss. Yes, you are a dad!! Don’t rob yourself of that title...you’re a dad to a beautiful angel
Beautiful post - thanks Kim!

Old 02-01-2019, 04:43 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Beautiful post - thanks Kim!
You are more than welcome. Stay strong

Old 02-02-2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You are more than welcome. Stay strong

Old 03-03-2019, 08:29 PM

369 posts, read 1,960,529 times
My infant daughter passed at 24 days old 19 years ago and I STILL don't know how to answer the question "How many children do you have?" I have one daughter who, when asked, says she is the middle child even though her younger sister did not survive long enough for her to even begin to experience that "middle-ness". I think we all deal with this kind of shattering loss in our own way, and what might make sense for me would seem ridiculous to you. Time helps, but frankly, even after 19 years I am still pissed off about it. I've lost both my parents, my sister, my husband...each of these losses has been painful in it's own way, but absolutely none of these has compared to her loss.

I wish I had something wise to say. I don't, and I'm sorry for that. You'll find your way and it'll always feel awkward and out of kilter with your reality. Do whatever makes the most sense to you in a given situation and let others think what they want/will. You don't owe anyone anything.

I'm truly sorry for your loss.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnaie View Post
My infant daughter passed at 24 days old 19 years ago and I STILL don't know how to answer the question "How many children do you have?" I have one daughter who, when asked, says she is the middle child even though her younger sister did not survive long enough for her to even begin to experience that "middle-ness". I think we all deal with this kind of shattering loss in our own way, and what might make sense for me would seem ridiculous to you. Time helps, but frankly, even after 19 years I am still pissed off about it. I've lost both my parents, my sister, my husband...each of these losses has been painful in it's own way, but absolutely none of these has compared to her loss.

I wish I had something wise to say. I don't, and I'm sorry for that. You'll find your way and it'll always feel awkward and out of kilter with your reality. Do whatever makes the most sense to you in a given situation and let others think what they want/will. You don't owe anyone anything.

I'm truly sorry for your loss.
Thanks, Dougnaie - your words and thoughts are very much appreciated. I know some time has helped (in a sense) but it has definitely been a different kind of pain (compared to any other loss I have experienced). I don’t have ‘memories’ to hold onto or talk about (I am sorry about your infant daughter too) - so it’s very difficult to verbalize to other people (but I’m getting better at it). And I continue to struggle with the question ‘are you a dad’ or ‘do you have kids’ - unless/until I ever become a dad again, I probably always will. That said, I’ve finally had encouragement to just ‘put it out there’ after keeping it to myself (other than those closest to me) for some time.

Again, I am sorry for your loss, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning