U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM

183 posts, read 77,966 times

Advertisements

Itís been almost two years since the loss of my newborn daughter; and while some time has passed (making it slightly easier), I still find myself coping with anger and pain. Iím a positive thinker - and have always been in the role of helping others with problems - so itís very difficult to feel such a drastic role reversal and need someone else to lean on. I have spent so much time helping my babyís mother get through this (we are not together as a couple anymore) - I feel as though I havenít let my guard down and havenít healed myself (in order to be strong for her). I lost my mother several years ago; and while that was certainly a very difficult time, this is just completely different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM

1,053 posts, read 497,518 times
I’m so sorry for your loss. I’ve experienced an ectopic pregnancy and a miscarriage. I can’t imagine holding and knowing what my baby looks like etc. I’m so sorry. Maybe look into contacting the March of Dimes organization.

Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
Iím so sorry for your loss. Iíve experienced an ectopic pregnancy and a miscarriage. I canít imagine holding and knowing what my baby looks like etc. Iím so sorry. Maybe look into contacting the March of Dimes organization.
I am sorry for your loss, too. In my situation, she did give birth - but had multiple complications (which started in her pregnancy). The hardest part is when people I meet ask if Iím a Dad. I never know how to answer that - without a lot of questions or confusion.

Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM

692 posts, read 233,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I am sorry for your loss, too. In my situation, she did give birth - but had multiple complications (which started in her pregnancy). The hardest part is when people I meet ask if Iím a Dad. I never know how to answer that - without a lot of questions or confusion.
I'm so sorry for your loss. It must be devastating for you. ((((hugs))))

We expect our parents to die, but we do not expect our children to die. Would it help if you talk about her on this forum? Would you like to share details about her?

Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Well to me you are a dad. If your baby was six when they passed would that make the situation different?

Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Well to me you are a dad. If your baby was six when they passed would that make the situation different?
Yes - but itís difficult to answer when meeting people or in passing - because the next question is how old is she,etc. - and so it makes for a difficult discussion to Ďexplainí. So I end up trying to avoid the question - and in casual situations, I have found myself just saying no (rather than explain my loss to a store clerk, for example, who is just making small talk.)

Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss. It must be devastating for you. ((((hugs))))

We expect our parents to die, but we do not expect our children to die. Would it help if you talk about her on this forum? Would you like to share details about her?
Thanks, Anna. Thatís the hard part..details about her. I never knew her. I know good memories have of way of comforting a loss - but I donít have the luxury of having memories. And Iíve had people tell me Ďwell, itís probably better it happened right away, if it was going to happení. That is absolutely crushing to hear.

Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Yes - but it’s difficult to answer when meeting people or in passing - because the next question is how old is she,etc. - and so it makes for a difficult discussion to ‘explain’. So I end up trying to avoid the question - and in casual situations, I have found myself just saying no (rather than explain my loss to a store clerk, for example, who is just making small talk.)
The thing is you don’t owe anybody an explanation.

Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM

5,854 posts, read 2,249,794 times
Quote:
Yes - but itís difficult to answer when meeting people or in passing - because the next question is how old is she,etc. - and so it makes for a difficult discussion to Ďexplainí. So I end up trying to avoid the question - and in casual situations, I have found myself just saying no (rather than explain my loss to a store clerk, for example, who is just making small talk.)
People who ask these questions obviously don't even know the event on any level.. Whomever asks this were there for YOU And didn't realize the facts of your loss OP~~

This ends up getting questions about WHAT a child's short life loss versus in your head~ WHAT LIFE could have been and YEP~~ That kind of loss is truly a difficult answer!!

Anyone, regardless of how and when you lose a CHILD ( pre-birth or post birth) morns differently~~ No one should expect YOU to have explanations for that sense of loss!!

Luckily, I never lost ( to my knowledge) a pregnancy (could have been before I even knew ).. But I did lose a young adult son (41) who had children... BELIEVE me, no parent can accept losing their child ~~ It's not meant to be that way to have a child die BEFORE you do!

My empathy to you, trying to get through this unresolved pain!!

Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM

Quote:
The thing is you donít owe anybody an explanation.
No, but when someone doesnít know - and they are just making small talk, and ask if Iím a dad or how old are my kids, what can I possibly say without having to Ďexplainí - which is why Iíve just said no before, to quickly end the conversation and be on my way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or