U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 01:54 PM

5,812 posts, read 2,062,492 times

Advertisements

Were you active on Facebook? I'm not sure it'd make a difference or not, but maybe.

So, if you're not particularly active on Facebook...you might not even come up in people's feed. So...some of your friends maybe didn't even know about it...but I understand that you and your brother share some friends. But...it was your brother that posted of the passing. Not you. So they responded to the one who posted the information.
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 03:16 PM

5,135 posts, read 5,018,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I'm sorry for your loss.

If you had posted on Facebook about your father passing away, I'm sure you would have gotten condolences as well. Since you didn't post anything, most people would assume either it wasn't something you want to talk about, none of their business, or something along those lines. But you would have to bring it up first, if you wanted responses from people.

That sums up what I wanted to say.

Old Today, 04:23 PM

6,472 posts, read 1,607,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Please remember the primary purpose of the forum is to provide a safe place for those in grief to come. We can reflect on the various experiences and have empathy, and we can try to help people avoid holes and pitfalls, and we can share our own experiences, but it is best to avoid drifting into speculation, which then can become a basis for unfounded judgment by others.

The OP has been shown some alternative reasons why events transpired as was described. Hopefully that will be helpful.

The various stories of other estrangements are both sad and informative. They bring up a larger problem of the awkwardness that occurs when someone who played a major life role and has been estranged/divorced/excommunicated dies. When the poster adds what worked and didn't work in their situation it gives us all insight and better understanding.

My bad. I saw a link to this thread and thought it was interesting. I did not realize it was a grief forum.

Old Today, 04:40 PM

17,494 posts, read 53,220,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
My bad. I saw a link to this thread and thought it was interesting. I did not realize it was a grief forum.
Not a problem. You not bad. You just happened to be innocently commenting when I became aware of the danger of where the thread could go. Sorry if I gave the impression of chastising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning