U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 06:46 PM

3,131 posts, read 10,272,301 times

Advertisements

The most terrible thing happened in our community today. Two high school seniors were killed in a car accident on their way to school. The extreme pain that I feel cannot even be put into words. We have been friends with the one family for over 15 years. The loss and devastation is just terrible. All I can say, is give your kids a big hug and tell them you love them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 06:47 PM

2,514 posts, read 5,166,306 times
Oh my! All I can say is how sorry I am for the loss of these two young lives. My thoughts and prayers to the family and friends.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:54 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,471,540 times
I can't even imagine.

I'm widowed and have had "the knock on the door". It''s pretty terrible because you know.
Before
they
say
any
thing.

If it were my daughter? That would pretty much be it for me.

Just, be there for the parents, and listen. They will probably try to be civil in public, but really.....you just want to smash stuff and make it all go away.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:55 PM

457 posts, read 1,743,748 times
My thoughts and prayers are with the families of these kids.
No parent should outlive their child. I don't think I would survive.
I am sooo sorry.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:00 PM

21,142 posts, read 22,118,386 times
I honestly can't think of anything more devastating than losing a child. Prayers to the family and whole community.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:51 PM

1,820 posts, read 3,899,868 times
My thoughts and prayers to the families and to your community as well.
I am from an area that lost 5 girls (a week after their high school graduation) in a terrible car accident last year.
It was so sad that Summer, it seemed that everywhere we went, people knew them or knew their families or their friends.
It is so sad to see families have to suffer like this.
May peace be with you during this time.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:50 AM

665 posts, read 1,717,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I can't even imagine.

I'm widowed and have had "the knock on the door". It''s pretty terrible because you know.
Before
they
say
any
thing.

Just, be there for the parents, and listen. They will probably try to be civil in public, but really.....you just want to smash stuff and make it all go away.

Dear Plaidmom,
I picked your responce because I lost my son at 20, 12 yrs ago,it is the worst
knock on the door I also had by 2 policemen.I had to move awayfor financial reasons and my son is buried 10 hrs away,it hits hard around this season. Your post was right on.The parents need peolpe they can talk , and cry to.I don't really have anyone except my husband to cry to.And by the way, I DID smash things in the first mnths.My husband had a wooden workbench. I took a hammer and hit it until I was cried out.I also tried not to show my pain in public. I also had someone say to me shortly after my son's death"You look good for a dead kid's mother". I was schocked , but still numb, so I just smiled.I wish these parents prayers ....

Old 12-12-2008, 08:53 AM

620 posts, read 1,751,305 times
What a terrible tragic thing to happen in a community. My heart aches for the entire town. So many people, will be affected I am sure. My oldest is a senior and its tough watching him leave with others in a car. You never know.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:59 AM

8,668 posts, read 19,920,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I can't even imagine.

Before
they
say
any
thing.

I understand and my condolences to all involved. Like plaidmom and phyll, I have also had "the knock at the door." Today (December 12th) would have been my son's 24th birthday. (He was 16 when he was killed also with 2 other teens in a freak car accident.)

It is one of the most devastating things to deal with, pain unimaginable, but with God's grace you get through. You learn to move on...because you have to. (Healing takes time, sometimes a LOT of time.) I didn't smash anything, but one day about 6 months after his death, I came in the house and kicked the TV stand and yelled, "I DON'T WANT IT TO BE THIS WAY!!!" Now, even 7 years later, not a day goes by that I don't think about Aaron and miss him.

I agree also with plaidmom and phyll. The best thing you can do for those in the situation is just be there for them. People worry about the "right thing to say." There's really nothing you can say except "I'm sorry." Don't feel uncomfortable with them. Your friends are the same people they always were, just in incredible pain. Just be there for them. Your presence alone means more than you can ever know. When Aaron died, we were overwhelmed with love and support from our church and friends. I don't know how we would have made it without them.

Last edited by kaykay; 12-12-2008 at 09:25 AM..

Old 12-12-2008, 09:30 AM

665 posts, read 1,717,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I understand and my condolences to all involved. Like plaidmom and phyll, I have also had "the knock at the door." Today (December 12th) would have been my son's 24th birthday. (He was 16 when he was killed also with 2 other teens in a freak car accident.)

It is one of the most devastating things to deal with, pain unimaginable, but with God's grace you get through. You learn to move on...because you have to. (Healing takes time, sometimes a LOT of time.) I didn't smash anything, but one day about 6 months after his death, I came in the house and kicked the TV stand and yelled, "I DON'T WANT IT TO BE THIS WAY!!!" Now, even 7 years later, not a day goes by that I don't think about Aaron and miss him.

I agree also with plaidmom and phyll. The best thing you can do for those in the situation is just be there for them. People worry about the "right thing to say." There's really nothing you can say except "I'm sorry." Don't feel uncomfortable with them. Your friends are the same people they always were, just in incredible pain. Just be there for them. Your presence alone means more than you can ever know. When Aaron died, we were overwhelmed with love and support from our church and friends. I don't know how we would have made it without them.
Dear KAYKAY,
I send my prayers for you today.It is hard. I am sorry for the loss of your son!Yes, I too think and miss my son everyday.And true with the Grace of God you do carry on . I have heard peolpe say they couldn't go on , but you know, KAYKAY , you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning