Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 03:58 AM

3 posts, read 5,651 times

Advertisements

Hello, I would like to know that what purpose does a funeral serve? I mean, Is it help to the survivors or anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 03:19 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinzmick View Post
Hello, I would like to know that what purpose does a funeral serve? I mean, Is it help to the survivors or anything else?
A funeral provides a focus for the survivors to celebrate the deceased's life, observe his passing, and grieve his absence.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:26 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,532,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
A funeral provides a focus for the survivors to celebrate the deceased's life, observe his passing, and grieve his absence.
Plus, sometimes there's free food!

Old 06-06-2009, 04:21 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
Plus, sometimes there's free food!
Well, there *is* that.
I've never really felt that hungry at the funerals I've attended.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:28 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,496,229 times
"Food" represents fellowship, and a chance to visit, especially for those who travel long distances to pay their respects.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:40 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinzmick View Post

I don't know. I only went to one.
It was when I was a little kid. It was a funeral for a baby. One of my parents' friends had a baby that was born with defects and died after about a month in the hospital.

I went up to the coffin to look at the baby. There were stuffed animals and blankets in the coffin. The baby had not been embalmed very well. There was clear fluid leaking out of various openings in its face- specifically, I think, its ear- and dampening the little lacy pillow on which its head was lying.

This scared me and broke my heart.
I have never been to another funeral, including my grandparents' or several casual friends and acquaintances who have died.
I don't really ever plan to go to another one. I think they're gruesome and morbid. *
I never intend to look at another dead body, if I can help it.
If I had to see one of my loved ones that way, it would destroy me.

I, myself, intend to be cremated and scattered.

* I would, however, show my support for the bereaved by going to a "wake", if invited. Or some other such after-service which doesn't involve the corpse being on display.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:28 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Funerals are for the living, not the dead..
In my family we have memorials which are a comfort to us, because we have a chance to pass on personal stories about the deceased with one another, have a couple prayers and the favorite hymns of the deceased are usually included . Most often the deceased has donated their body to science or had requested immediate burial or cremation, so rarely is there a casket at the memorial service..Just lots of photos..
After the service we gather at one of the families homes to have a good time eating, relaxing and continue to share stories and just have a good time with family that most haven't seen since the last death

My H's family is completely opposite..They go for the open casket, 3 days of fire and brimstone preaching either at the church or the funeral home....Usually there is one with a camera who wants to take pictures of the deceased with his family lined up around the casket..There is sometimes uncontrollable anguish by a family member and the Funeral Director is right there with smelling salts..Everyone continues to the cemetery for a short service and then the casket is lowered into the grave..

I imagine the way funerals are handled just depends on the tradition of the area you live in and how they have always been done in ones family..

Old 06-06-2009, 07:32 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,084,831 times
I've often wondered how we came up with such a rediculous tradition.
I would never want to be displayed for people to walk by and view my dead body...who knows what kind of talent the hairstylist/makeup artist has...if any?
I don't attend funerals.
I'm being cremated!

Old 06-06-2009, 10:31 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,138,230 times
I went to a funeral a few years ago, of a very dear, "young-ish" friend, early 50's. Closed casket at the cemetery. Afterwards we went to his home, opened up his liquor cabinet, and drank and reminisced of the fun times we all shared with him in the past!!!

Old 06-06-2009, 11:23 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,040 times
It's supposed to provide "closure". I think it's a sad, drawn out affair that makes it all the more painful, but, to each his own. I too plan on cremation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning