U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 04:29 PM

4,551 posts, read 10,158,864 times

Advertisements

Am I strange or what? My dad passed away in Feb. and I feel like I am having a terrible time with not only missng him and all that but guilt I feel so guilty that I didn't appreciate him and I used him up or something. He gave me so much including time and money I just feel like I drained him of his life It is horrible...is this normal what the heck...I don't understand it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 04:33 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,736,330 times
Tell him that. When you are alone, tell him that out loud. I don't think that you need to do it out loud for him, he already knows. But do it out loud for you. Tell him how much you loved him. Tell him that you need to know that he knows how you feel. I don't know how to explain it, but you will come to know that he understands and that it is okay.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:17 PM

481 posts, read 638,596 times
All you have to do is sit down quietly and talk to your dad.
He will hear you.
He wants you to forgive yourself.
He wants you to remember him with a smile.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:44 PM

19,805 posts, read 55,631,864 times
Or go visit his grave by yourself early one morning. Tell him all, cry if you wish, and leave feeling healed.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:17 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,065,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Am I strange or what? My dad passed away in Feb. and I feel like I am having a terrible time with not only missng him and all that but guilt I feel so guilty that I didn't appreciate him and I used him up or something. He gave me so much including time and money I just feel like I drained him of his life It is horrible...is this normal what the heck...I don't understand it
What you are experiencing is actually very normal. You're grieving. You should not expect this to not be happening.

Find a grief support group.
Go talk to your pastor, if you are part of a church. Most pastors are highly trained and experienced in these issues.
Check into finding a competent counselor.

You should expect the process of grief to take at least a year, but mostly like it'll take a good two years.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:34 PM

6,262 posts, read 17,308,095 times
Aptor, I don't recall you revealing to us on CD about that and I'm sorry to learn of his passing. Sorry too that you're in such anguish.
All the responses are spot on, IMHO.

I went through much the same feelings after losing first my dad in 2001, then my mom in 2005.

I still miss them. Still feel guilty sometimes that I didn't go by enough, didn't sympathize enough, just didn't do enough of everything. Maybe that's normal.

Hugs to you

Old 08-04-2009, 08:38 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,192,256 times
My old man wrote something down many years ago when I was a kid...

When the distant sun is sinking
and your mind from care is free,
When of someone you are thinking
may you sometimes think of me.

I think he wrote this because me and him sort of never got on all that well, but I understood, and he understood, and that's all that mattered. You'll find your old man will be saying the same thing when you speak with him, and rest assured, he understands perfectly, he was your father, that's what us fathers do...we understand!

Old 08-04-2009, 08:43 PM

1,563 posts, read 1,952,135 times
I know how you feel first hand, I lost my mother last September. It has been nearly a year and I am just now starting to feel like less of a Ghost in reverse. A ghost is a person who's body passes but who's soul or spirit remains on earth.

I have felt like my spirit passed last year and my body is simply what remains. Omaha makes some excellent points, do not let anyone tell you "Its time now"...let the grieving process take as long as it has to. Seek out supportive friends or relatives (my brother being a huge help for me) Join a bereavement support group or online bereavement discussion board if you feel the need.

Although you ultimately must come to a reckoning with your father's passing yourself, you do not have to travel the path to that reckoning alone.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:50 PM

3,850 posts, read 6,835,435 times
Just give yourself enough time to grieve. When my sister passed away it was hard for a long time. It's a process and feeling guilt is one of the steps....

Old 08-04-2009, 11:26 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,204,740 times
I'm so sorry. My dad passed away 3 years ago, and I still feel this way. Find someone you love and tell them you love them. Do the right thing by the people who are alive right now and in your life. Do it for your dad. It will help. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning