Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 11:35 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,215,642 times

Advertisements

CD is very amazing. I read when people form friendships and visit each other. Truely it is about people coming together, forming friendships and bonds for a life-time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 09:42 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
CD is very amazing. I read when people form friendships and visit each other. Truely it is about people coming together, forming friendships and bonds for a life-time.
I wish I had money. I'd come visit you all.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:11 PM

379 posts, read 533,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I wish I had money. I'd come visit you all.
Too bad we can't meet in some central location for a weekend or something, a little girl time...........OR.....we could crash at Bluff's place on the lake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just kidding Bluff Dweller!

But really, it would be fun to meet all of you. Arranging that would take one big miracle!

Old 01-24-2013, 09:02 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,524,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl205 View Post
Too bad we can't meet in some central location for a weekend or something, a little girl time...........OR.....we could crash at Bluff's place on the lake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just kidding Bluff Dweller!

But really, it would be fun to meet all of you. Arranging that would take one big miracle!
That would be nice......a goal to look forward to.

Went to my third grief meeting tonight. Three of us exchanged phone numbers and plan to get together. We all need to share our experiences. One lost her husband and the other her mother whom she lived with. There are so many of us out here, and we baby boomers are over 65. There is going to be a great need for more groups.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:37 AM

379 posts, read 533,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
Went to my third grief meeting tonight. Three of us exchanged phone numbers and plan to get together. We all need to share our experiences. One lost her husband and the other her mother whom she lived with. There are so many of us out here, and we baby boomers are over 65. There is going to be a great need for more groups.
So glad your meeting went well, Jude, and you are making new friends/acquaintances. Wish I could be a part of that. I am so aware of people my age that are dying, and that sort of puts life in perspective.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:37 PM

1 posts, read 878 times
Its only been a little over a month since my Wifie of 22 years passed on. Already missing the phone calls,whats for dinner,solving the Wheel of Fortune phrases,her looking forward to the drama of The Bachleorette,Hey can I heat up your coffee while I'm up and on it goes.For the past 3 and a half years battling Breast Cancer and for the last year and a half her on one couch and me on the other sitting up to get her what she needed thru the night before heading off to work the next morning.And of course thinking my grief and loss was exclusive to me and no others. I sure do miss my Little Bald headed Woman as I called her.My heart breaks every time I walk thru the door. A house Empty. They say it gets better with time..Oh how I Pray for the passage of time.My heart breaks as well for the so many others walking in the same set of shoes I am. I miss My Deebeeooo...My nickname for her. Thanks for listening and God Bless...

Old 03-04-2015, 09:57 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
I hope this is encouraging to some of you...
I lost my wonderful husband almost 4 years ago. Soul crushing experience..
After a year I felt I could breathe slightly and I decided I might survive but never
dreamed life could be fun again.
Little by little the grieving eased up and the pain lessened.

It has taken 4 years but life is exciting again, I am enjoying my single
status. It feels strange to say that but that is where life has me and
I have learned to enjoy where I am ..

I felt like the stages of grieving that counselors love to list were
a bunch of baloney..All the stages were there everyday for me ..
For me it was more like going through stages of coping
from not at all to gradually being able to function and so on...

Think of it as recovering from a very serious injury or sickness.
Pamper yourself, give yourself as much time as you need,
Know that "normal" for you is however you are getting through it..
There is no wrong way unless it is harmful to yourself or others..

Do whatever helps ....
A beach day, movies with friends, forums, journaling,
sleeping late, favorite meals, hire a cleaning lady.
A bed & bath with a friend..

Old 03-05-2015, 12:58 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
I send my sympathies for your loss, Jimbo.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:31 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
Jimbo, so sorry for your loss. I have been going to a spousal grief group at our local Hospice. It has been very helpful to talk to people who actually do understand what you are going through. You might want to check to see if there is something like this where you live. My husband died in December of brain cancer after enduring the disease and its treatment for almost 4 years. I started with this group 6 weeks after his death. The counselor said it might be too soon to start, but actually, I found that its wasn't, and I have gotten a lot out of it, including a friend with whom I have a lot in common. We have lunch sometimes now, and, each having lost our husband recently, we feel comfortable if tears emerge during the conversation. That is something. I have read (I don't know if its true) that men have a harder time finding a fellow widower to commiserate with than women. If that is true, a spousal grief group can be important, I think. Mine is half men and half women. Blessings.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:45 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo5415 View Post
Its only been a little over a month since my Wifie of 22 years passed on. Already missing the phone calls,whats for dinner,solving the Wheel of Fortune phrases,her looking forward to the drama of The Bachleorette,Hey can I heat up your coffee while I'm up and on it goes.For the past 3 and a half years battling Breast Cancer and for the last year and a half her on one couch and me on the other sitting up to get her what she needed thru the night before heading off to work the next morning.And of course thinking my grief and loss was exclusive to me and no others. I sure do miss my Little Bald headed Woman as I called her.My heart breaks every time I walk thru the door. A house Empty. They say it gets better with time..Oh how I Pray for the passage of time.My heart breaks as well for the so many others walking in the same set of shoes I am. I miss My Deebeeooo...My nickname for her. Thanks for listening and God Bless...
I'm very sorry Jimbo, your loss is very similar to mine. I lost my wife of 37 years last April after her long battle with breast cancer, its remission and then its unexpected return 16 months ago. It takes a long time to recover from such a loss. Do not feel like this is something you should be able to get over with soon, its not. Give yourself as much time as it takes. I'm still struggling with it multiple times every week. From everything I have read that is OK, that is normal, each year gets a little easier. Yes there are many of us walking this same path with you. That does not necessarily make it any easier, but you are not alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning