Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2008, 09:59 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times

Advertisements

About 14 month ago my girlfriend lost her husband of 20 yrs. I have let her know with several call & emails that I was here for her. The other day her sister came to see me . Seems shes been bar hopping several months. Her familly is very conserned cause she is Diabetic & has Heart problems. & when shes not at bars getting drunk. Shes home crying. We all know that she needs to get help & believe me the familly has tried. Now they want me to try to get her to go....Frankly I dont know how to approch the subject or what to say. Any ideas would be appreciated......thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 10:26 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,982,634 times
Do you know if your friend had alcohol issues before her husband's death? Is this an ongoing pattern? It sounds to me like she is an alcoholic and she's using alcohol to try to drown out the pain she is in with her husband's death, yet her method of dealing with it is self-destructive. Having been involved in a staged intervention for a friend of mine who was an alcoholic and abusing prescription drugs, it ended up being successful (though I will admit she was extremely resentful for a period of time.)

Here's a website that describes how to stage an intervention and the most important thing seems to be to be sure to have professional help beforehand: How To Stage a Family Intervention. If I were you, I'd discuss this with your friend's sister. Her health is being compromised by the drinking and she needs help to deal with the grief she is feeling. Grief is totally normal, but she is dealing with it in a destructive and totally non-productive way. It's only making things worse for her in the long run.

I sincerely hope you and your friend's family are able to help her find her way out.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:29 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,982,634 times
One more thing: I don't know if she's an alcoholic or not or if it's just continuing depression over the death of her husband. An intervention can also be done to get somebody into counseling when they are resistant to do it on their own. Some people are just too afraid to face the reality of their situation. Best of luck.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:54 PM

This was a woman that never touched a drop of booze in her life. Right now her sister is at a loss as to how to get her to go. Believe me she has tried.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:49 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,736 times
stage an intervention with all of her closest friends and family members....make it positive and give her an ultimatum.....tough love is the best cure.

best of luck! You sound like a great friend

Old 08-25-2008, 08:58 AM

This is NOT about getting her to Stop Drinking... ITS about getting her to GRIEF Counseling! IF you have any ideas to get her there then please tell me.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:06 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
You cant heal yourself when you are hurting yourself with a drinking problem.

STep one: get sober

AA gives you coping skills that branch out to help you in all areas of your life.
Plus at night she could go there for company and crying and stay sober while doing it.
She may make some great friends too so she is not so lonely.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:14 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,475 times
i agree that your friend needs a bereavement counselor. I recently lost my father and it didn't make me drink , but it made me eat big time and I gained 20 lbs and it's taken time to gain control and accept it. She is most likely feeling like her world has come to an end and is feeling very alone and cannot accept he is no longer here. Find a bereavement counselor in your area; a regular psychologist would not be able to do the same job

Old 08-25-2008, 05:47 PM

What can I say or do to get her to go?

Old 08-25-2008, 06:00 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
What can I say or do to get her to go?
One suggestion I have is to try to find some recommendations of someone or somewhere she could go. Get the name and number for her and make it as easy as possible for her.

Just assure her that you love her and you realize how tough this situation is. Since my husband & I lost our son 7 years ago, we have worked a little in ministering to other people who are bereaved. Recently we taught a grief recovery class and in preparation, I asked some widows on another forum what especially helped them. One thing that some widows have told me that particularly helped them was seeing a grief counselor. You might relay that to her.

It's sometimes difficult to get anyone to do anything they don't really want to do themselves, but you can, as I said, make it easy for her and hopefully, she will follow through if she some advantage to it.

Hope it works out~My best wishes & saying a prayer for your friend~

kk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning