U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

Homeless Campers - How To Live - Formerly Homeless

Group Created by highdesertmutz

I am homeless, living in a travel trailer in a rv park, we lost our home in wisconsin a few years ago due to health reasons, one main provider couldn't work anymore, and we lost everything. Have you experienced similar circumstances, or are you now wondering how you're going to get by after you've lost everything? and become homeless? maybe you are camping out like we do. Want to hear your story, how you handle everyday life, how are you getting by or making it? What are you doing without? Do you know of someone who needs tips on homeless survival?

View All Members Showing 10 of 77 Member(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 101 to 110 of 236
  1. Watchman57
    06-14-2011 08:34 AM - permalink
    Watchman57
    I live in a 7x9 tent just outside of Brattleboro,VT which is a town of about 8,500+/- in SE VT near the Mass. border and across the Connecticut river from N.H. We are having really unpleasant weather, 2 hot days 3rd day is terrible stormy, 3 wet and very cool days. At night I sometimes get close visits from deer, coyotes, once in awhile a bear is sighted nearby by other homeless men living on the same hill as I. I'm 54 in Aug. and never thought I'd be where I am today! Non-drinker/smoker/drug user and not running from the law. Just bad decisions, bad luck, divorce and a crashing American economy and - WHAM here I is. Last July there were 80 registered homeless now there are 200 here. More later....Dave
  2. spiritwomyn
    06-13-2011 07:36 PM - permalink
    spiritwomyn
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Anyone want to socialize? After all this is supposed to be a social group. I know I live in a tent but was hoping not a vacuum. Squeek to me.
  3. Sandra K
    06-12-2011 09:18 AM - permalink
    Sandra K
    I used to stay in a travel trailer for several years, loved it. My husband had a job working on the road, and my dream was to travel to different locations, and find the place we loved best and make our home there. We stayed in Eastern PA for 3 years, and got a divorce. Funny how things have a way of workin themselves out. I got the travel fever again, so hoping to meet friends, and find a place for me one day.
  4. spiritwomyn
    06-11-2011 07:16 PM - permalink
    spiritwomyn
    Activity? Well we could have a party. So ya'll come out to Montana. Seriously, if we pooled our funds we could......ok maybe we can't but it would be great if we could find some land and at least have a dedicated place to pitch our tents. I like the campground I am at and the rent is cheap. On the up side if things get much worse, I won't notice but I will be ready. Also I own my tent so no foreclosures.
  5. Watchman57
    06-11-2011 10:27 AM - permalink
    Watchman57
    Not alot of activity in here anymore, sad its a good group and we are all brothers and sisters of the street or homeless community. Good luck to ya out in MT from VT!
  6. spiritwomyn
    06-09-2011 02:35 PM - permalink
    spiritwomyn
    Hi all. I live in a tent with my daughter in Livingston, Montana. It has been an inspiration for a tent that can be lived in year round. Have a part time job, pays 82 a month. Well came to make friends and feel not so alone.
  7. Chanygirl
    05-12-2011 08:08 AM - permalink
    Chanygirl
    Hi... I live in Phoenix Arizona but the program I am going to talk about is a national program and can be accessed in every state with a referral from The Salvation Army and many churches. There is also a sister program just for vets offered by the VA and you can be referred by a social worker or counselor. The VA program just launched around the first of the year. I am talking about The Homelessness Prevention and Restabilazation Project or HPRP. There are some qualifiers...
    1. You must have an income
    2. You must meet income guidelines
    3. If you are facing homelessness you must have a eviction papers or foreclosure papers. I don't know what the criteria is if you are already homeless I was a renter in foreclosure.

This is a short-term program, meaning the benefits are NOT permanent... but it is GREAT if you just need a few months to get back on your feet or need a place to live.
    When you realize you are facing homelessness Google search HPRP and your city to find out who does the referrals in your area...and contact that agency and ask for a referral to the program. YOU MUST BR REFERRED, you cannot walk in. There is usually a waiting period..use it to get your paperwork together. You will need a statement of income, your current lease agreement or a statement from your shelter stating that you are homeless, eviction or foreclosure paperwork..a social security card for every member of your family, any utility bills, I don't remember the rest I think maybe birth certificates...proof of assets...for your car etc...like applying for food-stamps. You referring agency will give you a sheet telling you what you need and a contact number for the program
    How the program works..
    You get your call from the program setting up your appointment date.. I had to wait 4 weeks..but called after 1 "to confirm my referral" and 3 to "check on my status".
    Once you have your appointment and are accepted into the program you have 2 weeks to fid another place to live..so start packing..if you qualify for food stamps you will prolly qualify for this...find a place to live.. it will have to be inspected (like a HUD inspection) and your case worker will give the paper work for it.. if your new place passes muster then the program will pay all your movin costs except pet deposits and application fees. They will even provide a moving van and movers..all you have to do is pack and un pack. They will pay to have your utilities turned on and pay any back bills owing...except cable and phone. After the first month the program will pay your rent AND utilties for 3 full months after that... you must report any changes in income..etc.. but 4 months without having to pay rent or utilities gave the chance to pay off money I owed my family and to find a job because I wasn't freaked out about being homeless...I graduated from the program this month. May is my last month in the program..I have a job now and back on my feet. I hope this helps at least 1 person. Please, if you have any questions or concerns please PM me...
  8. scrapiron
    05-02-2011 02:21 PM - permalink
    scrapiron
    Hi there...I would look for an older travel trailer, sell the car and buy the best F150 pick up I could find with a V-8 engine that could tow 6000 with electric brakes.
    Good luck to you.
    Eric
  9. madamemcm
    03-08-2011 09:17 PM - permalink
    madamemcm
    Not sure if people are stil posting to this forum or not so here it goes.....I am what you would call "Pending Homeless" its going to happen just not sure when, after 3 lay offs in 3 years - I have exhausted all my savings and will lose my home, sooner or later.
    Thinking about getting a class C or B camper rather then end up on the streets. My car is too tiny to tow anything except maybe a shopping cart. Just trying to save as much as I can to buy a camper before its to late.

Please continue to post - the info has been a big help!
  10. Jim Joneston
    12-19-2010 03:04 PM - permalink
    Jim Joneston
    Add your Listing here for MORE Exposure http://www.businesskinnect.com