Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

Homeless Campers - How To Live - Formerly Homeless

Group Created by highdesertmutz

I am homeless, living in a travel trailer in a rv park, we lost our home in wisconsin a few years ago due to health reasons, one main provider couldn't work anymore, and we lost everything. Have you experienced similar circumstances, or are you now wondering how you're going to get by after you've lost everything? and become homeless? maybe you are camping out like we do. Want to hear your story, how you handle everyday life, how are you getting by or making it? What are you doing without? Do you know of someone who needs tips on homeless survival?

View All Members Showing 10 of 84 Member(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 111 to 120 of 236
  1. scrapiron
    11-29-2010 01:47 PM - permalink
    scrapiron
    Well, it has been a while since anyone posted here. I lived in an 18' TT for about 5 weeks and it was not fun. I moved from TN to AZ for a job and thought we would try out fulltiming in the TT. We wanted to do it for a year and save all kinds of money, but after just one month it was getting on my nerves and my wife's nerves too. While it was a great idea, we went and rented a place 1950 SF 2BdRM 2 Bth with attached garage and a nice big arizona room. Talk about a relief....whew....I am glad to be out of the TT. We still have it...in storage at the campground and will use it for vacations, etc but, never to live in on a permanent basis. The good part of all this is I have a very good and secure job.

Best wishes to all of you here on the thread and I truly hope everything works out for you.

Eric
  2. mewgirl
    04-03-2010 01:25 AM - permalink
    mewgirl
    @GJohnson Uh, if you're at a place where it's possible to use a tarp, it likely doesn't matter whether or not you're seen. If it does, get rid of the tarp!!
  3. 2bpurrfect
    03-31-2010 01:46 AM - permalink
    2bpurrfect
    speaking of blue tarps. here is a google map of haiti, and you can zoom in until you see the rooftops. all of those little flat top tin roof matchboxes! and yes you can see the blue tarps on the camped out earthquake survivor tents of those who are now homeless. Zoom in on Port Au Prince, that's where they are at.

http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworl..._map_haiti.htm

4. 2bpurrfect
    03-31-2010 01:29 AM - permalink
    2bpurrfect
    speaking of tarps. i have bought tarps that are actually woven, they let water through. so the thing i would buy is a roll of thick plastic , i guess the black kind. it goes a lot further than a tarp too. you could actually cut off large pieces to put over belongings also. not that i am homeless right now, i thank God. I so feel for anyone who needs one, who is outside and all. If i had my way, every person who wanted one, would have at least a small indoor space to call home, even if they have no money.
  5. GJ Johnson
    03-26-2010 05:15 PM - permalink
    GJ Johnson
    Dont buy a blue tarp they are too easy to see. Put branches and weeds over your camp,and don't come to it the same way always.
  6. GJ Johnson
    03-26-2010 04:51 PM - permalink
    GJ Johnson
    Klingon clocking devices can be useful.
  7. M.Harper
    03-13-2010 11:06 AM - permalink
    M.Harper
    Hello Everyone! I've been joining groups all day and this one really hits home! I'm a single mom of 1 child, 1 15yr. old cat, 1 2yr. old German Sheppard mix dog. I only made alittle over $8,000 last year so I wouldn't be leaving any financial stablility if I converted to this lifestye. I HAVE THOUGHT of packing up and home schooling my daughter "on the road" my ONLY real worry is what kind of person will she grow up to be if I do this, AND.... HOW IN THE HECK CAN I AFFORD IT? I know GOD always provides and I can always come back to my hometown. How do I afford to make trips back home? I will pray about this but, as we all do... I would like any suggestions, lessons learned, or information about any topics related to the idea! PLEASE
  8. Katie1
    06-02-2009 05:50 PM - permalink
    Katie1
    I am seriously thinking about looking for an older motor home and having it redone by a school next year and selling this van. By the time I get done fixing it up I will have a fortune in it! And still will not be able to tow a big enough camper with it! Any ideas to what I should be looking for in an RV???
  9. Katie1
    04-28-2009 05:35 AM - permalink
    Katie1
    :confus ed:: eek:
  10. Katie1
    04-15-2009 04:31 PM - permalink
    Katie1
    I go nuts in a 1 bedroom apt hehehehe Yes I remember that mess! Thats 1 reason I want get the biggest this van can handle safely & I can afford. Some of the older ones around here are selling for $500 which I can do in 2 easy payment. Some are in decent shape for ther age!