U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

Retired Singles

Group Created by ConeyIsBabe

Now that you have retired from work, either because of years/age eligibility or health issues, what do you plan on doing the rest of your life? It's easier when you have a built-in support system as a married couple, but starting a new life as a single person is more daunting. Do you plan on relocation? Where? How do you make new friends? Let's share ideas. Are you counting the days to retirement? Wannabees are welcome to join this social group and share your concerns. Please post something to keep our group on the top of the list. Please post your favorite photos !

View All Members Showing 10 of 116 Member(s)
Showing 5 of 8 Picture(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 91 to 100 of 240
  1. bluecrab
    11-26-2008 12:24 PM - permalink
    bluecrab
    Happy almost Thanksgiving Everyone! What's everyone doing tomorrow?
    We have a 12:30 reservation at a local restaurant on the bay that has a fabulous buffet.There will be 11 of us. We always ate at home until a few years ago. Wasn't keen on eating out but boy, is it relaxing!

To answer Coney's question on volunteering: I volunteered at the nursing home across the street for 12 years. I'm on a 'leave of absense' since Jan. as I really got burnt out. I took my dogs under the Pets on Wheels program. I also called Bingo every Saturday morning plus I went in on my days off to help. I hope to go back after I retire. There aren't many people who volunteer with the elderly. I'll be there someday and I hope someone cheers up my day.
    Thank you for volunteering, Coney!
  2. karibear
    11-26-2008 12:03 PM - permalink
    karibear
    Hmmm.... what am I doing lately... Well, I'm still unpacking boxes, trying to figure out how to stuff all the trivia from 3,000 sf of houses into a 1,000 sf house, patching holes one of my dogs has figured out how to dig under the fence, chasing mice which have managed to get inside with the cooling weather, working with my horse, scooping up and turning into a compost heap all that recycled hay, thinking I really have to do something about all the furniture stored in the living room, recovering from a 24 hour flu that apparently takes weeks for people to regain their energies again, listening to audiobooks, trying to catch up/keep up with emails, having long phone calls from various family members who are having one disaster after another, and just plain trying to sleep on a marginally regular schedule. I failed miserably the other night when I started listening to a new [to me] Dick Francis mystery and realized it was 6 AM! Unfortunately, the critters all want to be let out and fed on their own regular schedules, which severely curtails my sleep-catching-ups.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
  3. ConeyIsBabe
    11-25-2008 07:53 PM - permalink
    ConeyIsBabe
    It's been very quiet in this Social Group...... whatchall doing lately?

I've signed up at my local Community Center as a volunteer. I've already worked in the Thrift Shop, at the Receptionist Desk and now training at the Food Pantry. Last week there were 60 recipients for food and today there were 30. Before volunteering I never realized how much of a public service the community center provides: low cost lunches, low cost clothing, free food bank, social activities, medical and educational opportunities.

Anyone else volunteering anywhere..... or would you consider doing so ?
  4. karibear
    11-12-2008 07:20 AM - permalink
    karibear
    I'm in a small town in east/central Oklahoma. It wouldn't suit everyone, but I like space around me - room for critters and a garden. And there aren't very many places where it's possible to keep a horse inside the city limits! NYC would drive me absolutely nuts - my daughter is there for awhile finishing school, and from what she says I just couldn't handle it. Besides, I rather think that if I did live there, I wouldn't be able to afford much more than a closet.
  5. nancy thereader
    11-11-2008 08:01 PM - permalink
    nancy thereader Moderator
    Where did you move, kari. I live on Long Island which is very expensive and I also am looking for a less expensive (and warmer) place to live.
  6. ConeyIsBabe
    11-11-2008 01:07 PM - permalink
    ConeyIsBabe
    WELCOME sonomahome !!

I retired with 3-months notice to my employer, when I was 60 years old. The working conditions were horrible and I had injured my knees (torn meniscus) and I was eligible for a pension.... so I said to the boss........ "see ya" ! That was 10 years ago I guess everybody has their own story and it will be interesting to read it

Ah.... sonoma ...... would you believe that city is also on my "list" of wanna-move locations I'd love to live within walking distance to the town square.
  7. karibear
    11-11-2008 11:41 AM - permalink
    karibear
    Hmm. You post in a thread in a forum, like the ones for the states or other topics. The posts in the threads are supposed to stay on topic, but at times they do wander a bit! In a social group, which this is, pretty much anything is fair game, as long as it's relevant to the purpose of the group. I wouldn't, for example, post about dog rescues here unless it was something I was using to fill my time as a retiree, but since I've done it all my adult life, it's not really relevant.

The only suggestion I would have is to make sure you can afford to live where you want to retire. The COL includes a lot of hidden costs, not just utilities and groceries, but things like real estate taxes - if you live in/pick an area with a high tax rate, you'll need to figure that into your daily/monthly budget. Just my 2 cents.
  8. sonomahome
    11-11-2008 11:07 AM - permalink
    sonomahome
    Hi, I just joined the group and still learning about "threads vs postings" and basically how do you do this? Looks like a nice group and I enjoyed the postings. I am at the easing out stage of work and easing into retirement. Any suggestions how to make the big plunge?
  9. ConeyIsBabe
    11-11-2008 10:21 AM - permalink
    ConeyIsBabe
    bluecrab.... Vero Beach FL is on my "list" of potential relocation areas when/if the r/e market ever improves to where I can recover my investment. I only know what I read on City-Data about Vero....... but I guess you are more familiar with it since your parents live there. I also miss the ocean, although I'm not a sun-tan lover.

Elsewhere in the Retirement Forum there are several topics under the heading of Adult Communities (like The Villages in central FL). I was interested in the one near Laguna Beach CA (but that's really a dream). Have y'all considered any of those - mostly for the opportunity of making friends from their many activities

I'm hoping when my time comes for the big move..... I'm not too old to enjoy it!
  10. bluecrab
    11-11-2008 03:54 AM - permalink
    bluecrab
    Thanks for your responses so far! I see that we have a few LBYM posters. I'm in that camp too! I don't buy anything(except for necessities) or go anywhere. My favorite stores are Salvation Army and Dollar Tree. So retirement won't be a change in lifestyle at all.

Coney- I too live in a high price area-Baltimore/Washington suburbs-so I'm considering a move to Vero Beach, Fl. My parents retired there for 19 years. I need the beach!
    quiet- Our library system has a ton of books that are constantly circulated. I do live in a highly educated community though. I too plan to purchase swim passes now for our community center to use after I retire.
    karibear- I love to buy used things. In fact my new kitchen has a countertop and backsplash made of recycled glass bottles.
    Thanks all for your stories! 231 days and counting! I had my last observation by my principal yesterday-Yahoooooo!!!!