Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

African Americans in Corporate America: The Price of Success and Achieving the "American Dream"

Group Created by teejuris

Many of us are conditioned to achieve the American Dream: Education, comfortable living, nice home & car and a nuclear family. We educate ourselves, matriculate from the finest institutions, network, get that "dream job" and acquire material things. We've jumped through the brass ring, so we should be satisfied, right? Haven't we "made it"?...After all is said and done, many people find that they are miserable and unfulfilled; not ungrateful, but unsatisfied. The area where many of us are most unhappy is the workplace. The "glass ceiling" and "white privilege" realities are not something we learn about in college. I'm still amazed at the injustices and biases that exist on the development and promotion track in corporate America for African Americans. Despite our credentials, achievements and performance, we're often evaluated and regarded "differently". It's as if we're subjected to a different set of rules/employee conduct. Our wages are lower and scrutiny higher. If a new hire is African American, he/she is automatically assigned to us for mentorship, despite differences in career paths and interests, as if it's impossible for a white person to develop an Af. Am. We're not typically invited "on the boat", to the homes of or to go on vacation w/ our superiors to get that "extra edge". We're not generally selected to be "groomed" to advance in the corporation as readily as whites. Further, although our "counterparts" are free to socialize and converse w/ each other as well as w/us, we're afraid to speak to each other or make eye contact, let alone have a lengthy conversation, for fear of retribution or being accused of alienating ourselves from others, or being too exclusive. Sometimes, it seems the only way to find true success as an Af. Am. is to "sell out", compromise our ethics, or sacrifice our dignity. I have too much faith in God, self respect and confidence in my skills and abilities to do any of those things. Meritorious and ethical advancement is the only option for me. What do you think? Do share.

View All Members Showing 9 of 9 Member(s)